cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2007, 08:18 PM   #21
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
We haven't ever played in a BCS bowl. And there have been a lot of seasons that have been a blast. What games do you remember the last 20 years? I remember beating Notre Dame, Texas, T A&M, Penn State, Miss St, Washington, ASU, Cal, Virginia, Syracuse, etc. I remember getting stoked to play games against 'Bama, Florida State, Virginia, Miss State, UCLA, USC, Notre Dame, Washington, BC, etc. even though we lost.

I've never gotten excited to play Utah State, Nevada, Eastern Washington, etc, didn't really enjoy the games that much, and don't recall anyone on ESPN discussing the games.

I don't want to sit around for ten years watching us play crap OOC games and crap MWC games hoping for a shot at a BCS. If we're good enough, we'll make the BCS no matter if it's with zero, one, or two losses.
Amen. Almost all of the memorable games in BYU history were against BCS teams.

The exception being some of the recent Utah games.

BYU fans get the shaft with this current regime.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:20 PM   #22
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
OK, tell me what is the big deal with getting to a BCS game. How much respect does Utah or BSU have right now as neither can win a conf. championship since.

If it is all about the money, fine just say so. You don't build a lasting reputation by getting somewhere by going the easy route and not following up.

If they are so sure this will get them BCS money, they ought to give the season ticket holders a break and charge less for next years tickets.

If you thought you were paying for a Celin Dion (sp) concert and you got Tiny Tim, I think you would have a right to some kind of discount.
I truly don't believe it's about the money. What's BYU's take on a BCS bowl game? A million? Maybe two, tops. On a $25M athletic budget, the dream of raking in a mill or two once every five years is a pretty stupid dream to chase, if it's at the expense of any of the other $125M in revenues over that time period.

I don't know what Bronco's doing. I don't trust him that it's just about making a BCS bowl. I think he thinks he can become a god by averaging 8-9 wins a season over the next 20 years. But playing against crap MWC and crap OOC, I could do that.

Last edited by jay santos; 12-27-2007 at 08:23 PM.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:24 PM   #23
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I truly don't believe it's about the money. What's BYU's take or a BCS bowl game? A million? Maybe two, tops. On a $25M athletic budget, the dream of raking in a mill or two once every five years is a pretty stupid dream to chase, if it's at the expense of any of the other $125M in revenues over that time period.

I don't know what Bronco's doing. I don't trust him that it's just about making a BCS bowl. I think he thinks he can become a god by averaging 8-9 wins a season over the next 20 years. But playing against crap MWC and crap OOC, I could do that.
I really don't think it is about him, really. I think it is about the BCS and it's supposed prestige, maybe not supposed. I think he has a plan and I think the guy truly thinks his plan will someday get him to the NC game. If the fans get shortchanged along the way, so be it. With BYU it is never about the fans. It is about money and image.

Maybe that is the same for every school.

By the way, Bronco and Holmoe are a bit at odds over this scheduling thing.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:27 PM   #24
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
I really don't think it is about him, really. I think it is about the BCS and it's supposed prestige, maybe not supposed. I think he has a plan and I think the guy truly thinks his plan will someday get him to the NC game. If the fans get shortchanged along the way, so be it. With BYU it is never about the fans. It is about money and image.

Maybe that is the same for every school.

By the way, Bronco and Holmoe are a bit at odds over this scheduling thing.
Bronco's job is to keep his job.

Holmoe's job is to sell the programs and keep the $ coming in.

This is where Holmoe tells Bronco that he is the boss, and he will play the schedule that is given to him.

UCLA
SDSU
WYO
UNM
UNLV
div 1AA

Is there anyone excited about this home schedule?
Old 12-27-2007, 08:31 PM   #25
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

This is where Holmoe tells Bronco that he is the boss, and he will play the schedule that is given to him.

UCLA
SDSU
WYO
UNM
UNLV
div 1AA

Whoever is excited about this home schedule is the same person that was thrilled to play church basketball and win the sportsmanship trophy.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:32 PM   #26
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:

UCLA
SDSU
WYO
UNM
UNLV
div 1AA

You don't go to any games save...what maybe 1 every other year?

If that.

If BYU had their OOC Home schedule filled with BCS opponents every year would that change your attendance?

I doubt it.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:37 PM   #27
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post

If that.

If BYU had their OOC Home schedule filled with BCS opponents every year would that change your attendance?

I doubt it.
I am much more likely to go to a BCS game than a non-BCS game.

The last game I saw at LES was BYU losing to Southern Cal.

I'm actually planning to go to Seattle for the Washington game. I'm pretty sure I won't be going to any of the games at LES.

I will of course go to the TCU game in Fort Worth.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:38 PM   #28
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I am much more likely to go to a BCS game than a non-BCS game.

The last game I saw at LES was BYU losing to Southern Cal.

I'm actually planning to go to Seattle for the Washington game. I'm pretty sure I won't be going to any of the games at LES.

I will of course go to the TCU game in Fort Worth.
If Bronco's strategy gets BYU into a BCS bowl game next year, will you attend? Or will you boycott as a matter of principle?
Old 12-27-2007, 08:39 PM   #29
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post

If that.

I doubt it.
Here you make a good point. If they can dummy down the schedule, charge or increase prices and still fill the place why not. I would buy my tickets year after year based on the hope they are going to up the schedule eventually, not dummy it down. This will be the first year I have not only threatened, but will unload my tickets. I am sure someone will take them.

I think the Vegas Bowl experience should have told them that fans may back off if they bring in a lousy product year after year, but I think they are smart enough not to do that.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:40 PM   #30
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Here you make a good point. If they can dummy down the schedule, charge or increase prices and still fill the place why not. I would buy my tickets year after year based on the hope they are going to up the schedule eventually, not dummy it down. This will be the first year I have not only threatened, but will unload my tickets. I am sure someone will take them.

I think the Vegas Bowl experience should have told them that fans may back off if they bring in a lousy product year after year, but I think they are smart enough not to do that.

What are you referring to with the Vegas Bowl? Did BYU not sell all their allotted tickets?