cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2007, 08:54 PM   #41
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Here is my question: do we have any evidence whatsoever that BYU could schedule a BCS team this late in the game to come to Provo next year to fill the slot vacated by Nevada? I find that extremely unlikely. Which makes this whole debate about Bronco's "balls of chalk" kind of absurd.
Bronco said we could schedule up if we wanted but he doesn't want to and he wants to schedule down as that gives us best chance to go undefeated which is required for BCS game.

But I agree with you on the Nevada game. That was a dirty thing Nevada did to us and leaves us scrambling.

But Bronco has been very clear on what his strategy is. I don't know how soon it will affect us but the concept is that he is "stuck" with 1-2 BCS teams on the schedule through 2012 but all new games to be scheduled will be done with his revised strategy.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:55 PM   #42
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
LOL, you will have to be a ways a way from the stadium.

I wanted a nephew to unload two tickets I had last year to the EWU game. He gold me security told him to get his butt and those tickets away from the stadium.

Only BYU is allowed to scalp tickets.
Your nephew's dumb. I've bought and sold tickets outside the stadium for years. I pass by the scalpers on the way to the game every single time.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:57 PM   #43
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

If BYU stops playing BCS teams non-conf. I won't continue to follow BYU.

Meaning I will follow BYU as closely as I follow BYU-Hawaii and BYU-Idaho.

If BYU goes down to only one BCS team per year, my interest will be signficantly pared back. I will be one of those casual BYU fans who catches a game once in a while.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:57 PM   #44
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Your nephew's dumb. I've bought and sold tickets outside the stadium for years. I pass by the scalpers on the way to the game every single time.
Please, I know it is fun around here to call people names, but do you have to go after my nephew.

The security told him couldn't. What do you want a 10 year old to do.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:58 PM   #45
jay santos

Quote:
Please, I know it is fun around here to call people names, but do you have to go after my nephew.

The security told him couldn't. What do you want a 10 year old to do.
LOL, sorry. BTW, 10 yo's make great scalpers if you can train them.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:02 PM   #46
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Bronco said we could schedule up if we wanted ...
Yeah, well I am calling BS on that one. You tell me what BCS team just happens to have an open date next year on that weekend, and is willing to come to Provo. Not a chance.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:03 PM   #47
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Here you make a good point. If they can dummy down the schedule, charge or increase prices and still fill the place why not. I would buy my tickets year after year based on the hope they are going to up the schedule eventually, not dummy it down. This will be the first year I have not only threatened, but will unload my tickets. I am sure someone will take them.

I think the Vegas Bowl experience should have told them that fans may back off if they bring in a lousy product year after year, but I think they are smart enough not to do that.
I seriously might consider buying your tickets off you.

Of course if things keep going the way they are I might have to save my $$ for something else, but don't want to jinx that and scare the crap out of myself simultaneously by thinking about possibility too much...
Old 12-27-2007, 09:08 PM   #48
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Rocky, I wouldn't bother coming to the TCU game. TCU fans suck. You will be staring at a completely empty upper deck, even if their team is ranked in the top 15. It's an awful atmosphere. I would catch an A&M game at Kyle Field before I would bother traveling to Fort Worth.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:16 PM   #49
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Yeah, well I am calling BS on that one. You tell me what BCS team just happens to have an open date next year on that weekend, and is willing to come to Provo. Not a chance.
A few on CB reported that Holmoe said he could schedule a BCS opponent if he wanted but probably wouldn't go in that direction. I thought I had read it from a more firmer source like Harmon or Rhiannon but I could be wrong. DDD seems to follow Holmoe closely. Maybe he knows the quote I'm thinking of. Everything Bronco is saying lately seems to back up that theory. That they COULD get a decent opponent but they don't WANT to. I think one theory was moving up the Florida State series, giving you a couple years breathing room to make it easier to schedule for that.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:22 PM   #50
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
A few on CB reported that Holmoe said he could schedule a BCS opponent if he wanted but probably wouldn't go in that direction. I thought I had read it from a more firmer source like Harmon or Rhiannon but I could be wrong. DDD seems to follow Holmoe closely. Maybe he knows the quote I'm thinking of. Everything Bronco is saying lately seems to back up that theory. That they COULD get a decent opponent but they don't WANT to. I think one theory was moving up the Florida State series, giving you a couple years breathing room to make it easier to schedule for that.
I would like to know which BCS team would have done that for us. Not just rumors, but an actual team.

How is it that FSU doesn't have it's schedule locked down for next year at this point? I just don't believe that.