cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What is the worst game-time decision
Crowton's attempt to "win by 9 instead of by 2", late in the game, resulting in an INT by Beck 15 41.67%
Bronco punting on the 35-yd-line on fourth and 2 late in the game vs. BC. 2 5.56%
Anae handing off to Unga at the end of the first half vs. UCLA 17 47.22%
Other (please describe) 2 5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-28-2007, 05:10 PM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Worst call in BYU history

Vote now for the biggest game-time coaching blunder in BYU football history.

Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 12-28-2007 at 05:13 PM.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 05:18 PM   #2
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

How about Bronco punting on 4th and 2 on the 38 in the 4th against UCLA.

or Bronco Punting on 4th and 5 on the 27 yard line against UCLA (this one should have cost BYU the game - and the game likely wouldn't have even hung in the balance had he not punted on the earlier 4th down I mentioned above)
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 05:20 PM   #3
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone voting Crowton over Anae is just a Crowton hater and or is clueless when it comes to football and football decisions. I am not kidding either.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 05:54 PM   #4
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Anyone voting Crowton over Anae is just a Crowton hater and or is clueless when it comes to football and football decisions. I am not kidding either.
I voted Crowton over Anae for one reason, we lost the Crowton game and won the Anae game but they are probably equally dumb decisions.

Also let me add that another dumb decisions is any sort of stretch handoff on 3rd or 4th and 1. Why give the ball to your running back 5 yards in teh backfield.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:57 PM   #5
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP
Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
The only call I can think of that rivals Anae's for stupidity was North Texas trying to pound it in against UNLV, rather than take a knee and the sure victory, only to have the RB fumble and UNLV return it 98 yards for the win. Even then, Anae's was probably worse because there was no upside to his call. At least North Texas's coach was playing to bolster his team's emotional state 98 yards away from his own goal.
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 05:58 PM   #6
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

There was still something like 3 minutes left in the Stanford game. There was less than 30 seconds left in the first half against UCLA.

There was something to be gained by getting a first down, by run or pass against Stanford, in order to run out the clock. Stanford had the time, the time outs and the ability to win the game after getting the ball back.

There was nothing to be gained by running the ball against UCLA. UCLA only had one timeout and likely wouldn't have even used it if BYU had just taken a knee. BYU was up 11 and had all the momentum on their side.

The UCLA call was clearly the stupider of the two and anyone who disagrees with it is as BYU71 described them.

Last edited by Indy Coug; 12-28-2007 at 06:02 PM.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:01 PM   #7
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
There was still something like 3 minutes left in the Stanford game. There was less than 30 seconds left in the first half against UCLA.

There was something to be gained by getting a first down, by run or pass against Stanford, in order to run out the clock. Stanford had the time, the time outs and the ability to win the game after getting the ball back.

There was nothing to be gained by running the ball against UCLA. UCLA only had one timeout and likely wouldn't have even used it if BYU had just taken a knee. BYU was up 11 and had all the momentum on their side.

The UCLA call was clearly the stupider of the two and anyone who disagrees with it is either as BYU71 described them.
Agreed.

The handoff made no sense whatsoever. There were 19 seconds left in the half. He either gets a short gain or he fumbles.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:01 PM   #8
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP
Default the Colts rode that call to a Superbowl championship

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I voted Crowton over Anae for one reason, we lost the Crowton game and won the Anae game but they are probably equally dumb decisions.

Also let me add that another dumb decisions is any sort of stretch handoff on 3rd or 4th and 1. Why give the ball to your running back 5 yards in teh backfield.
The stretch handoff is a great play. I'd much rather have seen that against UCLA than a counter up the middle against a 9 man front.
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:01 PM   #9
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I'll add to that...any time an offense goes deep on 3rd and short - unless they absolutely see something in the defense where they know there is going to be somebody wide open.

I don't know how many times BYU has had drives end this season due to their going long on 3rd and short. Whatever the number is, it's too many.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:08 PM   #10
ilmf

ilmf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Just to clarify -- are you referring to the 2006 BC game or the one in 2005? Maybe Bronco punted in 2006 late in the game (I can't recall that play), but if you're referring to the 2005 game in Provo, I think the punt you have in your poll was actually at the end of the first half (not late in the game), and as such has no business being in a poll like this. I would imagine you're referring to something in the '06 game though.
ilmf is offline   Reply With Quote