cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What is the worst game-time decision
Crowton's attempt to "win by 9 instead of by 2", late in the game, resulting in an INT by Beck 15 41.67%
Bronco punting on the 35-yd-line on fourth and 2 late in the game vs. BC. 2 5.56%
Anae handing off to Unga at the end of the first half vs. UCLA 17 47.22%
Other (please describe) 2 5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-28-2007, 08:33 PM   #31
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Meaning that we would now be at our own 35.

I give the odds of Unga breaking a 25 yarder in that situation as about 1 in 250. The odds of him fumbling are low, but higher than the odds of him running that far, based on the production to that point in the game.
Agree. And a coach has to be experienced enough and smart enough to either intuitively know these odds or to study them in the offseason enough to understand them.

Unga's got about a 1/100 chance of fumbling. But his long run for the year is 40 yards, and nothing was working that day, and UCLA has speed to run him down even if he breaks through the line. So if you say he has 1/250 chance to bust it out to the 50 or so. Then with a bad kicker, we have another 20% chance to get another 20 yard pass in and a 50% chance to kick a field goal. That means you have about a 1/1000 chance to make three points.

vs 1/100 chance to give up 7 points.

In a defensive battle where you're up 11 points.

Very, very stupid.

I'm getting more upset thinking about it. I was mad enough when Mahuika fielded the punt. What? Field a high punt on the road with different lights you're than you're used to for the opportunity to take a knee at the 10??
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:43 PM   #32
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Worst game coaching in history of BYU was vs UNLV at home 2004.

Going into the game UNLV has good pass defense but awful run defense.

John Beck 34/68, 358 yds, 1 INT, 1 TD, pass rating = 96.1 and throw in 8 carries for -22 yards
Curtis Brown 8 carries, 102 yards

BYU loses to a bad UNLV team at home 24-20...two long field goals, a defensive TD, and one offensive TD
This is interesting conversation. However, I still maintain that as the poll is stated to vote other than the Bronco/Anae call last Saturday is either based on a lack of understanding, or bringing something else like game calling, which is a bunch of decsions not one, into the question.

The question neither asked about game calling or explanantion of a call. The question was about a (singular) game decision. There wasn't a caveat there that said and weight it based on whether we won or lost.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:45 PM   #33
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Agree. And a coach has to be experienced enough and smart enough to either intuitively know these odds or to study them in the offseason enough to understand them.

Unga's got about a 1/100 chance of fumbling. But his long run for the year is 40 yards, and nothing was working that day, and UCLA has speed to run him down even if he breaks through the line. So if you say he has 1/250 chance to bust it out to the 50 or so. Then with a bad kicker, we have another 20% chance to get another 20 yard pass in and a 50% chance to kick a field goal. That means you have about a 1/1000 chance to make three points.

vs 1/100 chance to give up 7 points.

In a defensive battle where you're up 11 points.

Very, very stupid.

I'm getting more upset thinking about it. I was mad enough when Mahuika fielded the punt. What? Field a high punt on the road with different lights you're than you're used to for the opportunity to take a knee at the 10??
Jay, I was upset at him fielding the punt as well. Why risk the fair-catch with so little time, on the 10 yard line? There is nothing good that can happen.

Of course my anger was compounded by several orders of magnitude with the run/fumble.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:06 PM   #34
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Vote now for the biggest game-time coaching blunder in BYU football history.
I have never in my life seen anything as stupid as that call by Robert Anae. The Crowton call was dumb, but Crowton's defense of it was dumber. I don't think Anae or Bronco have done a great deal to defend it. In fact I thought I read where Anae admitted it was stupid and Bronco indicated that it was something they learned from although initially I know Bronco had Anae's back. The key to this stupid faux pas was that BYU still won so it is something we all can chuckle about. But Crowton's idiocy was the straw that broke many of our backs and we affiliate such negative emotions and helpless feelings of being stuck with Crowton for at least another year. Anae has demonstrated that he is consistently pretty damn good, regardless of what Mister Mike Waters wants to say about the guy. But that does not change the fact that isolating the two calls and comparing them any objective onlooker must conclude that the Anae call was infinitely more stupider.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:09 PM   #35
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Jay, I was upset at him fielding the punt as well. Why risk the fair-catch with so little time, on the 10 yard line? There is nothing good that can happen.

Of course my anger was compounded by several orders of magnitude with the run/fumble.
That one doesn't bother me. I think having 10 yards of space is worth the risk of having your best handed player catch a punt. However, the handoff was beyond stupid. It was unbelievably stupid. It was even more stupid than that dumbass clock management at the end of the 1st half against TCU in 2006. It was infinitely more stupid than Crowton's having Beck roll out with the option of throwing back against his body.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:10 PM   #36
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
This is interesting conversation. However, I still maintain that as the poll is stated to vote other than the Bronco/Anae call last Saturday is either based on a lack of understanding, or bringing something else like game calling, which is a bunch of decsions not one, into the question.

The question neither asked about game calling or explanantion of a call. The question was about a (singular) game decision. There wasn't a caveat there that said and weight it based on whether we won or lost.
Yes. Thanks for the clarification, brother. Worst game-time call.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:12 PM   #37
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Just for fun, we should have a poll on the worst calls in Utah football history. I can think of a few, but one of you Ute fans should make the list.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:16 PM   #38
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I thought the vote was on the decision, not the explanation. As far as explanation goes, I am far more impressed with how Bronco and Anae are handling it.
True, but to me, the explanation shows why they made the decision, and if that is the reason Crowton made it, then it is downright idiotic.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:18 PM   #39
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Candidate for worst call? That's crazy.

See above.

Not even close.
Sheesh. A simple "no" would have done.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:23 PM   #40
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
That one doesn't bother me. I think having 10 yards of space is worth the risk of having your best handed player catch a punt.
How so? What does 10 yards get you? Only a 1 in 10 chance they down the ball inside the 1. And even if they do, you just run a QB sneak and go into the locker room. They tell you never to catch a punt inside the 8 yard line I think. So why catch it at the 9 or 10 whatever it was in that situation?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote