cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2008, 09:21 PM   #31
Judge Smails

Judge Smails is on a distinguished road
Default For one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
What did BYU do to prove they were a top 10 team that Hawaii didn't? Don't bother me with a 3-7-1 Pitt team or a barely 0.500 Baylor team. That's no more impressive than Boise State at home or Nevada on the road.
they won their bowl game - a bowl game against a team who (outside of Georgia) was better than a single team on Hawaii's schedule this year.

I also believe WAC 84 >> WAC 07
Old 01-03-2008, 09:29 PM   #32
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Tomato Co. View Post
I know that you are intelligent enough to distinguish between BYU's football program in '84 and Hawaii's in '07, and between our '84 schedule vs. Hawaii's '07 schedule. So quit distorting to try and prove a point.

That being said, of course BYU did not "win" or "deserve" a national championship in 1984. The only people who don't chuckle when our '84 championship is mentioned are BYU fans. We deserved a spot in a playoff, and Hawaii did this year as well.
How much distortion is going on here?

BYU had the second worst SOS of any national champion in the last 50 years (61-85-3 41.9), only a hair better than Georgia 1980.

Only two of BYU's opponents were better than 6-5. AFA (8-4) and Hawaii (7-4) both of which they beat by 5 points. Baylor was actually 5-6, so they weren't a 0.500 team.

The other 0.500 or better teams BYU played:

Michigan (6-6) - won by 7 in an ugly game
Wyoming (6-6) - won by 3 at the last minute at home. Wyoming was only 6-6 because they beat both South Dakota and Soutth Dakota State that year.
Utah (6-5-1) - won by 10 in another ugly game
Tulsa (6-5) - won by 23, but Tulsa was the equivalent of a 1-AA team that year in the Missouri Valley Conference.

So why was BYU a top 10 team that year?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:31 PM   #33
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Smails View Post
they won their bowl game - a bowl game against a team who (outside of Georgia) was better than a single team on Hawaii's schedule this year.

I also believe WAC 84 >> WAC 07
You're out of your freaking mind if you think the 1984 WAC was better than the 2007 WAC. At the very least, it's a push.

http://www.cougarstats.com/1984.html
Old 01-03-2008, 09:36 PM   #34
Judge Smails

Default What exactly have YOU come up with

Quote:
That's the best you can come up with?
in support of Hawaii?

Trust me, I've come up with plenty. This is like my 150th post on this site. Probably 130 of them have bashed Hawaii's schedule. It was worse than Southern Utah's this year. Seriously.

I'm yet to see a single good Pro-Hawaii-BCS claim made by you that stands up.

I'm okay with a poor SOS going undefeated and making a BCS game. Again, there weren't a lot of other viable candidates for that spot. But a schedule as abysmal as Hawaii's should not be rewarded.

What was BYU's SOS in 1984 (I have no idea, but I'm betting it wasn't dead last in D-1 or #137 {Sagarin})

Where would YOU rank BYU in 1984?

Voters were as dumb then as they are now.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:38 PM   #35
Ace Tomato Co.

Ace Tomato Co. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
How much distortion is going on here?

BYU had the second worst SOS of any national champion in the last 50 years (61-85-3 41.9), only a hair better than Georgia 1980.

Only two of BYU's opponents were better than 6-5. AFA (8-4) and Hawaii (7-4) both of which they beat by 5 points. Baylor was actually 5-6, so they weren't a 0.500 team.

The other 0.500 or better teams BYU played:

Michigan (6-6) - won by 7 in an ugly game
Wyoming (6-6) - won by 3 at the last minute at home. Wyoming was only 6-6 because they beat both South Dakota and Soutth Dakota State that year.
Utah (6-5-1) - won by 10 in another ugly game
Tulsa (6-5) - won by 23, but Tulsa was the equivalent of a 1-AA team that year in the Missouri Valley Conference.

So why was BYU a top 10 team that year?
Look, that's comical. The lowest SOS "of any national champion"? That's supposed to compare to an SOS of 119?

But we are off of my main point, which was that Hawaii didn't deserve a major bowl this year and should have been ranked 40th. If you are craving intellectual honesty, I'm first in line to admit BYU in '84 didn't deserve a national championship.

Wanting intellectual honesty from BYU fans is fine, but don't push Hawaii '07 vs. BYU '84 to get it.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:41 PM   #36
Indy Coug

Quote:
in support of Hawaii?

Trust me, I've come up with plenty. This is like my 150th post on this site. Probably 130 of them have bashed Hawaii's schedule. It was worse than Southern Utah's this year. Seriously.

I'm yet to see a single good Pro-Hawaii-BCS claim made by you that stands up.

I'm okay with a poor SOS going undefeated and making a BCS game. Again, there weren't a lot of other viable candidates for that spot. But a schedule as abysmal as Hawaii's should not be rewarded.

What was BYU's SOS in 1984 (I have no idea, but I'm betting it wasn't dead last in D-1 or #137 {Sagarin})

Where would YOU rank BYU in 1984?

Voters were as dumb then as they are now.
Hawaii SOS 2007: 50-69-0 (0.420)
BYU SOS 1984: 61-85-3 (0.419)

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2007/Inte...games_cumm.pdf

Unfortunately, that excludes all the wins over 1-AA teams that Hawaii's opponents played, otherwise, they'd be even further ahead of BYU.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:42 PM   #37
Judge Smails

Default I don't know but the Computers agreed with me

Quote:
You're out of your freaking mind if you think the 1984 WAC was better than the 2007 WAC. At the very least, it's a push.

http://www.cougarstats.com/1984.html
that BYU was a clear top 10 that year. Here's how 5 computers ranked BYU in 1984 after beating Michigan (taken from anti-BYU NC material):

Howell - 1
Dunkel - 4
Massey - 6
Rothman - 3
Wilson - 2

BYU was almost undoubtedly a top 10 team in 1984, which is all I've claimed them to be, probably top 5.

Hawaii in the same 5 ratings BEFORE the debacle in N'Orleans:

Howell - 13
Dunkel - 21
Massey -10
Rothman -22
Wilson - 9

That's an average of 15th. Guess which direction that's gonna head after New Years.

BYU 1984 Apples > Hawaii 2007 Rotten Oranges

It's not even the same discussion, so stop bringing it up. They say people look like their animals. You're looking like your avatar on this topic.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:43 PM   #38
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Tomato Co. View Post
Look, that's comical. The lowest SOS "of any national champion"? That's supposed to compare to an SOS of 119?

But we are off of my main point, which was that Hawaii didn't deserve a major bowl this year and should have been ranked 40th. If you are craving intellectual honesty, I'm first in line to admit BYU in '84 didn't deserve a national championship.

Wanting intellectual honesty from BYU fans is fine, but don't push Hawaii '07 vs. BYU '84 to get it.
I think you're seriously smoking something to think Hawaii is worse than 39 other teams, while at the same time conceding that BYU 1984 was in the ballpark of being a top 10 team.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:44 PM   #39
Indy Coug

Quote:
that BYU was a clear top 10 that year. Here's how 5 computers ranked BYU in 1984 after beating Michigan (taken from anti-BYU NC material):

Howell - 1
Dunkel - 4
Massey - 6
Rothman - 3
Wilson - 2

BYU was almost undoubtedly a top 10 team in 1984, which is all I've claimed them to be, probably top 5.

Hawaii in the same 5 ratings BEFORE the debacle in N'Orleans:

Howell - 13
Dunkel - 21
Massey -10
Rothman -22
Wilson - 9

That's an average of 15th. Guess which direction that's gonna head after New Years.

BYU 1984 Apples > Hawaii 2007 Rotten Oranges

It's not even the same discussion, so stop bringing it up. They say people look like their animals. You're looking like your avatar on this topic.
I chose my avatar based on the people I have to deal with on this site. The computer polls have Hawaii significantly higher than where you want to put them.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:46 PM   #40
Judge Smails

Default It also conveniently includes Georgia

Quote:
Hawaii SOS 2007: 50-69-0 (0.420)
BYU SOS 1984: 61-85-3 (0.419)

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2007/Inte...games_cumm.pdf

Unfortunately, that excludes all the wins over 1-AA teams that Hawaii's opponents played, otherwise, they'd be even further ahead of BYU.
and we saw how that went.

What was BYU's SOS rated in comparison to the rest of D-1 in 1984. (I recognize this is a dumb argument - obviously it was bad, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't dead last)