cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2008, 09:47 PM   #41
Judge Smails

Judge Smails is on a distinguished road
Default And significantly lower...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I chose my avatar based on the people I have to deal with on this site. The computer polls have Hawaii significantly higher than where you want to put them.
...that where you would have them.

Here's guessing they're much closer in the final computer rankings to my 25-30 estimate than your top 10 estimate.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:47 PM   #42
Ace Tomato Co.

Ace Tomato Co. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think you're seriously smoking something to think Hawaii is worse than 39 other teams, while at the same time conceding that BYU 1984 was in the ballpark of being a top 10 team.
All right, I'm willing to bend on the 40th place. But there is absolutely no way they should have been anywhere near a major bowl game. Agreed?

And by the way, I am not Judge Smails. I've never mentioned where I thought BYU should have been ranked in '84.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:52 PM   #43
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Smails View Post
...that where you would have them.

Here's guessing they're much closer in the final computer rankings to my 25-30 estimate than your top 10 estimate.
Did I say they were a top 10 team? I said that they were a top 25 team.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...33&postcount=4
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:52 PM   #44
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Tomato Co. View Post
All right, I'm willing to bend on the 40th place. But there is absolutely no way they should have been anywhere near a major bowl game. Agreed?

And by the way, I am not Judge Smails. I've never mentioned where I thought BYU should have been ranked in '84.
Sorry, but your arguments are virtually indistinguishable.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:01 PM   #45
Judge Smails

Quote:
Did I say they were a top 10 team? I said that they were a top 25 team.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...33&postcount=4
You said they were entitled to an auto-BCS bid. I extrapolated from that you think they were top 12. Otherwise, why argue they belonged?

If you are arguing they were really, say, the 20th best team in the nation, but should have received a BCS bid on principle, then that's one thing, and in that case I just think your opinion is dumb. If you think they should have qualified under the current system, that means they are legitimately top 12, and in that case I think you're dumb. Because they're not top 12, and never should have been.

Please clarify your position, so I know whether you're stupid or just have a stupid position on this topic.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:02 PM   #46
Indy Coug

Quote:
and we saw how that went.

What was BYU's SOS rated in comparison to the rest of D-1 in 1984. (I recognize this is a dumb argument - obviously it was bad, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't dead last)
It was 3rd to last. The only teams worse were San Jose State and Central Michigan, and the difference is minute (0.4176 vs 0.4189 vs 0.4194)
Old 01-03-2008, 10:04 PM   #47
Indy Coug

Quote:
You said they were entitled to an auto-BCS bid. I extrapolated from that you think they were top 12. Otherwise, why argue they belonged?

If you are arguing they were really, say, the 20th best team in the nation, but should have received a BCS bid on principle, then that's one thing, and in that case I just think your opinion is dumb. If you think they should have qualified under the current system, that means they are legitimately top 12, and in that case I think you're dumb. Because they're not top 12, and never should have been.

Please clarify your position, so I know whether you're stupid or just have a stupid position on this topic.
The computer polls agreed they were reasonably close to 12th. I don't think they were a top 12 team. I think they were around 20th. Georgia is a top 5 team that essentially had a home game, so the result was a little worse than expected for a 5 vs 20, but not out of reason (see Virginia Tech vs LSU this year).

My logic for their ranking isn't based on their SOS, it's based on how they did given who they played. That's a completely different argument than the SOS-in-a-vacuum crap you go on ad nauseum.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:06 PM   #48
Judge Smails

Default Pretty minute

Quote:
It was 3rd to last. The only teams worse were San Jose State and Central Michigan, and the difference is minute (0.4176 vs 0.4189 vs 0.4194)
But again, I'm not claiming #1, and the computers that agree with me take that crappy SOS into account and still have us clearly in the top 10. Hawaii will be in the range I've had them in all along when the final rnkings come out.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:08 PM   #49
Judge Smails

Quote:
The computer polls agreed they were reasonably close to 12th. I don't think they were a top 12 team. I think they were around 20th. Georgia is a top 5 team that essentially had a home game, so the result was a little worse than expected for a 5 vs 20, but not out of reason (see Virginia Tech vs LSU this year).

My logic for their ranking isn't based on their SOS, it's based on how they did given who they played. That's a completely different argument than the SOS-in-a-vacuum crap you go on ad nauseum.
So, does the 20th best team in the country deserve a BCS spot, if it's reserved for them if they finish in the top 12? This is the crux of this 5 page argument.

Tread lightly here. We may be coming to an agreement.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:11 PM   #50
Judge Smails

Quote:

Reasonably close to 12th < 12th