cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2008, 09:08 PM   #1
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default If you were an LDS recruit being recruited

to Baylor. Let's say they were good and you thought you could start and you really liked Texas.

During the recruiting process they told you they believed in certain rules in order to maintain the atmoshpere the school wants. How would you feel.

How would you feel if they added, these rules are given to us by the leaders who are Gods spokesmen here on earth and therefor the rules are how God wants you to live.

Now I have a rebellious nature. If Baylor handled it the second way I described, I would tell them to kiss my butt and leave.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:10 PM   #2
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
to Baylor. Let's say they were good and you thought you could start and you really liked Texas.

During the recruiting process they told you they believed in certain rules in order to maintain the atmoshpere the school wants. How would you feel.

How would you feel if they added, these rules are given to us by the leaders who are Gods spokesmen here on earth and therefor the rules are how God wants you to live.

Now I have a rebellious nature. If Baylor handled it the second way I described, I would tell them to kiss my butt and leave.
Even people who like Texas are not particularly fond of Waco.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:11 PM   #3
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Even people who like Texas are not particularly fond of Waco.
It is still a good analogy. Even people who like Utah are not particularly fond of Provo.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:12 PM   #4
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I was the only LDS student at a private high school in Chattanooga with a Presbyterian minister for a headmaster and a student body chock full of rabid evangelicals.

I'd do just fine.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:13 PM   #5
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I was the only LDS student at a private high school in Chattanooga with a Presbyterian minister for a headmaster and a student body chock full of rabid evangelicals.

I'd do just fine.
I think you would. I think you would succumb to blind obedience no matter where you were.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:16 PM   #6
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Where I went to college there were a lot of meaningless rules. I developed a strong distaste for authority and stupid rules. It took me a while on my mission to adjust to respecting authority and believing rules were relevant. Luckily I was blessed with a mission president from Idaho who taught me the parable of the stupid cow. It, literally, changed my life.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:19 PM   #7
Indy Coug

Quote:
I think you would. I think you would succumb to blind obedience no matter where you were.
Blind obedience? How about simply having the integrity of agreeing to live your life in accordance to the standards they've made known to you ahead of time?

I don't think you even know what blind obedience means.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:19 PM   #8
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Where I went to college there were a lot of meaningless rules. I developed a strong distaste for authority and stupid rules. It took me a while on my mission to adjust to respecting authority and believing rules were relevant. Luckily I was blessed with a mission president from Idaho who taught me the parable of the stupid cow. It, literally, changed my life.
Did any of those rules conlfict with your basic belief system or more importantly did anyone indicate they came from God. I realize in the services one may be more afraid of ones superior than God, but it isn't a faith issue is it.

By the way, the hardest working companions I had were from Idaho. They were the hardest workers.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:21 PM   #9
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Blind obedience? How about simply having the integrity of agreeing to live your life in accordance to the standards they've made known to you ahead of time?

I don't think you even know what blind obedience means.
I guess it depends on how one defines integrity. To me telling them their rules don't come from God defines my integrity. I would tell them I will obey their rules because those are the rules of the school, but don't ask me to act like or tell anyone I believe they come from God.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:22 PM   #10
Indy Coug

Quote:
Did any of those rules conlfict with your basic belief system or more importantly did anyone indicate they came from God. I realize in the services one may be more afraid of ones superior than God, but it isn't a faith issue is it.

By the way, the hardest working companions I had were from Idaho. They were the hardest workers.
I was forced to go to chapel on Mondays where we had a religious service that was not of my faith. I sang their hymns, I did not participate in their congregational scripted prayers/incantations/responses or whatever they were called. I accepted they were different and just quietly daydreamed through the service. It wasn't a big deal.