cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2008, 01:44 PM   #21
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Crowton may have not been a good fit for BYU as head coach and I am not sure he would be a good head coach. He is a good offensive coordinator.

It is funny how BYU fans thought he was a lousy OC. Of course they have a good track record. They thought Chow was lousy too.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:44 PM   #22
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Crowton may have not been a good fit for BYU as head coach and I am not sure he would be a good head coach. He is a good offensive coordinator.

It is funny how BYU fans thought he was a lousy OC. Of course they have a good track record. They thought Chow was lousy too.
Two more years and Anae will be the new Ken Schmidt.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:51 PM   #23
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
He called a helluva game. He must be living right, finally.

Crowton is a genuinely a great OC. I still maintain he is a better HC than he demonstrated at BYU, but he is still not a very good HC. I am happy for the guy and even happier for BYU fans!
Old 01-08-2008, 02:54 PM   #24
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Crowton is a genuinely a great OC. I still maintain he is a better HC than he demonstrated at BYU, but he is still not a very good HC. I am happy for the guy and even happier for BYU fans!
I am happy that Crowton was able to achieve something with LSU that he would never have achieved at BYU, if he had coached here for 30 years.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:59 PM   #25
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I am happy that Crowton was able to achieve something with LSU that he would never have achieved at BYU, if he had coached here for 30 years.

I am not so sure. If Crowton could have done a better job at training his recruits on how not to get caught, he may have eventually assembled enough talent in the next 30 years to achieve the level he just achieved. Remember, he wasn't the head coach in that game, he was the OC.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:03 PM   #26
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
That is why BYU is meant for stringpullers such as yourself. There is an immovable ceiling on BYU's ability for success and you can sit and crow about it despite your documented defeciencies of not understanding college football as well as others.

BYU = Good for Mike Waters.
LSU = Good for Gary Crowton.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:04 PM   #27
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I am not so sure. If Crowton could have done a better job at training his recruits on how not to get caught, he may have eventually assembled enough talent in the next 30 years to achieve the level he just achieved. Remember, he wasn't the head coach in that game, he was the OC.
I am sure he couldn't ever put together a team at BYU that good.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:11 PM   #28
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
That is why BYU is meant for stringpullers such as yourself. There is an immovable ceiling on BYU's ability for success and you can sit and crow about it despite your documented defeciencies of not understanding college football as well as others.

BYU = Good for Mike Waters.
LSU = Good for Gary Crowton.
If the one crack in my armor, is that I said Patterson had more cache as a coach back in early fall 2006, that is like taking a magnifying glass to a plate of steel and finding that a drop of lemon juice has discolored a 1mm x 1mm spot.

What I said then was absolutely true.

I have highlighted the weakness of the current Bronco regime: stubbornness, poor adjustment, and not excellent game-planning. His strength is in getting the team unified, executing well, and being mentally tough.

This formula will serve him well against inferior teams, but will lead to problems really taking BYU to the next level.

Just my opinion. Of course, given the current scheduling, we may never have a game against the "next level" so it's all moot anyway.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:16 PM   #29
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
If the one crack in my armor, is that I said Patterson had more cache as a coach back in early fall 2006, that is like taking a magnifying glass to a plate of steel and finding that a drop of lemon juice has discolored a 1mm x 1mm spot.

What I said then was absolutely true.

I have highlighted the weakness of the current Bronco regime: stubbornness, poor adjustment, and not excellent game-planning. His strength is in getting the team unified, executing well, and being mentally tough.

This formula will serve him well against inferior teams, but will lead to problems really taking BYU to the next level.

Just my opinion. Of course, given the current scheduling, we may never have a game against the "next level" so it's all moot anyway.
It kills me when people point out that somehow BYU struggling against better teams validates their in depth analysis. No shit BYU struggles against teams with better football players. So far Mister Waters has blessed us with two rock solid conclusions about college football.

1.) Bronco Mendenhall cannot hold Gary Patterson's jock. - Uh that one makes Gary Genius look like COL Red Freaking Blaik as far as grasping the landscape of college football....Oh nellie its a fumble!

2.) BYU struggles, due to uhhhhh system shortcomings, when playing teams with better football players than theirs.

Brilliant my man, purely brilliant!
Old 01-08-2008, 03:19 PM   #30
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It kills me when people point out that somehow BYU struggling against better teams validates their in depth analysis. No shit BYU struggles against teams with better football players. So far Mister Waters has blessed us with two rock solid conclusions about college football.

1.) Bronco Mendenhall cannot hold Gary Patterson's jock. - Uh that one makes Gary Genius look like COL Red Freaking Blaik as far as grasping the landscape of college football....Oh nellie its a fumble!

2.) BYU struggles, due to uhhhhh system shortcomings, when playing teams with better football players than theirs.

Brilliant my man, purely brilliant!
During the last two championship games, I can note that Jim Tressel doesn't have what it takes, even though he has won one national championship, because he doesn't make game adjustments, and his team struggles against teams with equal or better athletes.