cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2008, 09:34 PM   #21
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
I remember watching a couple games when Polamalu was there that he got 20+ tackles, IIRC.

For the longest time, I thought UCLA's Eric Turner was the best safety I'd ever seen (too young to remember Lott) in the PAC 10. Polamalu was better.
I remember Lott very well when he was at USC.

The Trojans had a helluva secondary then - Lott, Dennis Smith and Joey Browner all played together at USC.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:44 PM   #22
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I remember Lott very well when he was at USC.

The Trojans had a helluva secondary then - Lott, Dennis Smith and Joey Browner all played together at USC.
I'd forgotten about Browner and Smith playing for SC. wow.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:53 PM   #23
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
I'd forgotten about Browner and Smith playing for SC. wow.
Wow is right. All three on the USC roster at the same time.

Robinson knew which boosters to point at his recruits, eh? (Did I say that out loud?)

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:40 AM   #24
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
PC has gone 76-14 in seven seasons at SC.

He is 70-8 in the last six seasons.

SC has won 2 national championships and played for it 3 times.

He has coached 3 Heisman winners.

He was won a record six consecutive Pacific 10 Conference titles.

He has gone to a record six straight BCS games, losing only once....in the last minute of the game.

You may have a point, RC. Pete isnt THAT great of a coach. He could be doing a much better job.
I would like to send him up to Pullman for five years and see what his record was. Tell me one game in the last five years where they were the underdog and they won. I'm not sure they have been an underdog the last five years because they are loaded. UCLA last year and Stanford this year are just a couple of games they should have won easily but lost. Great recruiter, good coach but if I was a GM I would look elsewhere.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:50 AM   #25
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
I would like to send him up to Pullman for five years and see what his record was. Tell me one game in the last five years where they were the underdog and they won. I'm not sure they have been an underdog the last five years because they are loaded. UCLA last year and Stanford this year are just a couple of games they should have won easily but lost. Great recruiter, good coach but if I was a GM I would look elsewhere.
Pullman? RC, do you follow the Trojans at all? Why does he need to go to Pullman to prove himself. He came to SC, where we STUNK for 20 years. With the exception of the Keyshawn Rose Bowl, SC was down and had not contended since they split with Alabama in 1978. We lost 11 straight to ND and 8 straight to freaking FUCLA. Do you think he inherited a program on top of its game? If you recall college football, the 90s were the decade of FUCLA in the Pac 10, including a terrible Cade McNown regime that kicked our tails all 4 years.

PC showed up and turned things around in 2 seasons, and that includes recruiting and coaching. By his 3rd year, SC was back and under his regime, he has made SC the most successful program in the country over the past 6 years.

You think this is all recruiting and not Xs and Os? Texas, for example, usually has Top 5 or so recruiting classes. Yet the win a ring once every 30 years. See also Florida, Tennessee, Nebraska, Michigan, etc....usually top 10 in recruiting, but not much dominance lately. The AP actually ranked SC as the 7th best recruiting class for the 2007 season. You know who was ranked 6th? FUCLA. They had a nice 2007 season...

Using your logic, Wooden wasnt a great coach, just a great recruiter. Can you name a time during the 88 game win streak that they were underdogs and won? No. When were they underdogs during his 10 titles? never. Too bad he is too old to go to Pullman, where the real coaches prove themselves....

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte

Last edited by TripletDaddy; 01-11-2008 at 03:06 AM.
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:56 AM   #26
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Pullman? RC, do you follow the Trojans at all? Why does he need to go to Pullman to prove himself. He came to SC, where we STUNK for 20 years. With the exception of the Keyshawn Rose Bowl, SC was down and had not contended since they split with Alabama in 1978. We lost 13 straight to ND and 8 straight to freaking FUCLA. Do you think he inherited a program on top of its game? If you recall college football, the 90s were the decade of FUCLA in the Pac 10, including a terrible Cade McNown regime that kicked our tails all 4 years.

PC showed up and turned things around in 2 seasons, and that includes recruiting and coaching. By his 3rd year, SC was back and under his regime, he has made SC the most successful program in the country over the past 6 years.

You think this is all recruiting and not Xs and Os? Texas, for example, usually has Top 5 or so recruiting classes. Yet the win a ring once every 30 years. See also Florida, Tennessee, Nebraska, Michigan, etc....usually top 10 in recruiting, but not much dominance lately. The AP actually ranked SC as the 7th best recruiting class for the 2007 season. You know who was ranked 6th? FUCLA. They had a nice 2007 season...

Using your logic, Wooden wasnt a great coach, just a great recruiter. Can you name a time during the 88 game win streak that they were underdogs and won? No. When were they underdogs during his 10 titles? never. Too bad he is too old to go to Pullman, where the real coaches prove themselves....
Suckiness is relative.

I think what he's saying is that USC in a bad stretch, no matter how long, will still get better athletes than Washington State at their best.

It's a lot like when Charles Barkley commented on Phil Jackson taking the Lakers job (with Shaq and Kobe) by saying something like "I'd like to see him work his Zen magic in Memphis."

Old 01-11-2008, 03:10 AM   #27
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3188045

If so, one wonders if the USC job will be offered to Bronco or possibly Joe Glenn.

Maybe some of the experts on this board can weigh in.
Maybe the rest of the PAC-10 will finally have a chance...
Old 01-11-2008, 03:10 AM   #28
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Suckiness is relative.

I think what he's saying is that USC in a bad stretch, no matter how long, will still get better athletes than Washington State at their best.

It's a lot like when Charles Barkley commented on Phil Jackson taking the Lakers job (with Shaq and Kobe) by saying something like "I'd like to see him work his Zen magic in Memphis."
Well, there is truth to this. I guess suckiness for SC is another team's good season. SC had several bad seasons, by any standards. I mean, we did win the rose bowl also once in the late 80s, and we made it back a few other times and lost (including to Michigan State), but we were never in the run for a title those years, so who cares?

The best coaches have always been dinged for their players. Name me the top coaches in their profession....they always have great players. Red Auerbach? Pat Riley? Tom Landry? Knute Rockne? all these legends had some of the best players in the game at the time. The argument doesn't hold much water.

You dont accomplish what PC has accomplished without being a great coach. As a matter of fact, the critique is ridiculous. I have heard people say that SC cheats, that they run a dirty program, etc...I have never heard that PC is not a good coach.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:13 AM   #29
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Well, there is truth to this. I guess suckiness for SC is another team's good season. SC had several bad seasons, by any standards. I mean, we did win the rose bowl also once in the late 80s, and we made it back a few other times and lost (including to Michigan State), but we were never in the run for a title those years, so who cares?

The best coaches have always been dinged for their players. Name me the top coaches in their profession....they always have great players. Red Auerbach? Pat Riley? Tom Landry? Knute Rockne? all these legends had some of the best players in the game at the time. The argument doesn't hold much water.

You dont accomplish what PC has accomplished without being a great coach. As a matter of fact, the critique is ridiculous. I have heard people say that SC cheats, that they run a dirty program, etc...I have never heard that PC is not a good coach.
I think Carroll is a fantastic coach for one simple reason - the players he gets are better when they leave USC than when they arrived at USC.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:05 PM   #30
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Pullman? RC, do you follow the Trojans at all?
Ted Tollner, Larry Smith and perhaps the worst hire ever in college football Paul Hackett took a great program and turned it into a mediocre one. I'm not so amazed that PC has done so well but that those three did so poorly. USC is thee program west of the Mississippi and with the talent in SoCal how do you ever have a down year there? Wooden was a great coach. His losses to North Carlina State, Houston, Notre Dame (the three biggest I can think of) were against teams with great players. Bobby Knight is another coach I would classify as great. His last NC team had nothing (Steve Alford, Keith Smart) yet they were able to win it all. PC has brought that program back to the top but that is where I would expect them to be.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote