cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2008, 03:34 PM   #31
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
Ted Tollner, Larry Smith and perhaps the worst hire ever in college football Paul Hackett took a great program and turned it into a mediocre one. I'm not so amazed that PC has done so well but that those three did so poorly. USC is thee program west of the Mississippi and with the talent in SoCal how do you ever have a down year there? Wooden was a great coach. His losses to North Carlina State, Houston, Notre Dame (the three biggest I can think of) were against teams with great players. Bobby Knight is another coach I would classify as great. His last NC team had nothing (Steve Alford, Keith Smart) yet they were able to win it all. PC has brought that program back to the top but that is where I would expect them to be.
According to your standard, PC has never gone in to a game as an underdog and won.

Wooden never went in as an underdog and won, either, so if you are being consistent, Wooden was not a good coach.

Also, your rationale does not explain why FUCLA can never win a football NC. They have the same recruiting base, comparable facilities, and brand recognition as SC. Why are they not always at the top of the polls? Because their coaching sucks recently, even though their recruiting is always in the Top 15-20, often Top 10. Top recruiting classes do not ensure success.

It would be interesting if we could find to any legitimate critique of PCs coaching ability by some source.....I don't know...the AP, ESPN, Sports Illustrated, someone, somewhere who agrees with your contention that PC is not a good coach. I'd be open to read it, for sure.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:56 PM   #32
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Also, your rationale does not explain why FUCLA can never win a football NC. They have the same recruiting base, comparable facilities, and brand recognition as SC. Why are they not always at the top of the polls? Because their coaching sucks recently, even though their recruiting is always in the Top 15-20, often Top 10. Top recruiting classes do not ensure success.

PC is not a good coach. I'd be open to read it, for sure.
I don't think I ever said PC wasn't a good coach just not a great coach. He's a great recruiter.

I wish someone could explain to me why UCLA isn't a top ten program every year. UCLA and SDSU are the two programs that i just can't understand why they aren't better.

Don't be so hurt, I didn't think Dean Smith was a great coach either just a great recruiter.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:57 PM   #33
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I don't think I ever said PC wasn't a good coach just not a great coach. He's a great recruiter.

I wish someone could explain to me why UCLA isn't a top ten program every year. UCLA and SDSU are the two programs that i just can't understand why they aren't better.

Don't be so hurt, I didn't think Dean Smith was a great coach either just a great recruiter.
You know I can't understand why TCU and SMU aren't absolutely lights out in football. After all, they are in Texas, a hotbed of talent.

I just can't figure it out. I must be stupid.

(turn on your sarcasm meters for this post)
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:10 PM   #34
RC Vikings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
You know I can't understand why TCU and SMU aren't absolutely lights out in football. After all, they are in Texas, a hotbed of talent.

But seriously Mike, UCLA has a 100 NC's overall and they can't come up with a great FF team. Something about that place must be drawing other top student/athletes to that school.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:15 PM   #35
SipiTau

SipiTau is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Which current coach or coaches do you consider great?

I think Bronco is a good coach, but I've never spent time around him or his program, so I'm holding off in singing praises for the man, but I understand why BYU fans hold him in high regard.

I have family that have played or are currently playing for SC; I've seen it first hand, PC is not only a great recruiter, but a great coach as well.
SipiTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:39 PM   #36
RC Vikings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SipiTau View Post
Which current coach or coaches do you consider great?
Jim Tressel
Old 01-11-2008, 04:59 PM   #37
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Being a great recruiter is almost required for being a great coach in college football. Pete Carrol is a great coach, in college. One of his strengths is taken away when trying to apply it to the NFL. Which is why so many college coaches fail on the pro level and so many pro coaches fail on the college level.

What if any decisions or stratagems has PC put into practice that you feel diminishes his coaching abilities? What I have seen is that he rarely is ruffled, He uses his weapons appropriately and plays to those strengths and seems to be able to keep key coaches and when he does lose them, He has prepared well enough to have a subordinate step in without missing a beat.......you can apply that to the players too. The guy is top notch.

Now, he would be stupid to go to the pros again imo. He is in the process of building an incredible legacy and I would hate to see him give that up to coach the Falcons.
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:01 PM   #38
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Jim Tressel
He has looked great the last 2 seasons.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 01-11-2008, 05:03 PM   #39
TripletDaddy

Smile

Quote:

Now that you clarify your list of great coaches vs not great coaches, I am no longer hurt, RC.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:06 PM   #40
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

I agree with your point and appreciate the sarcasm.

However, on a serious note, RC makes a valid point. The difference between TCU/SMU and FUCLA is that FUCLA is usually Top 15-20 in recruiting classes every year. For the 2007 season, they were AP #6 or #7, one spot above SC's recruiting class. So FUCLA is getting talent coming in. They just arent developing the talent. SMU/TCU rarely if ever has a highly rated recruiting class despite being in a hotbed. They seem to lack recruiting and coaching skills.