cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2008, 12:23 AM   #41
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
I don't understand why everyone's got their panties in a wad over this. Does anyone really believe we're in contention for the national championship next year? That's really the only scenario where we could use more of a boost in strength of schedule.

We're going to have a nice warm-up game to start the season. Considering how we've had trouble at the beginning of the last few seasons against BCS conference teams, it will be nice to get the kinks out and get a little momentum and confidence going into Washington.

And for the chicken littles out there, yes, it's a huge downer if we lose to Northern Iowa. But if we lose to them, what makes you think we would have won had we played Florida State that week? And if we lose, what makes you think we deserve a BCS bid, anyway?

We're going to start out ranked in the top 25 (if not top 20). We've got a huge jump over last year. If we go undefeated, we will be in a BCS bowl. If we lose 1 game, we still have a good chance of being in a BCS bowl. Consider that with 2 losses, and with not starting out in the top 25, last season, we still weren't that far out of BCS bowl contention. In fact, we weren't mathematically eliminated until after the last regular season game. WITH TWO LOSSES!!

Baby steps, people!! Playing Northern Iowa removes a potential stumbling block from the start of what can be a really good season.

I'm happy and relieved with the game.
Amen! Preach on brother SoCal.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:25 AM   #42
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I am looking at it from my perspective. I buy season tickets and would like to look forward to going to the games. Maybe there are 90,000 fans who want to go and see BYU play a 1AA team. Fine, I still should be able to state I don't want to.

If there were 3 exciting games to look forward to in LES, that lessens the blow. Right now there are two. This is not a knock, but if you were a season ticket holder do you fall into that group who want to go no matter who we play or do you see my point.
No one is saying you can't state that you don't want to.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:29 AM   #43
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
No one is saying you can't state that you don't want to.
OK, why does not liking this equate to having ones panties in a wad. Is that better?
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:29 AM   #44
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know about yall, but I watch BYU games for the ENTERTAINMENT. If there is no entertainment, then I lose interest.

I didn't watch the EWU game, because I knew I would not be ENTERTAINED.

Do I think BYU has any shot at playing for the NC? No I don't. If BYU is undefeated, and every other BCS team has 3 losses, then MAYBE.

So when BYU has a crappy schedule, and I see that BYU could go undefeated, and we would STILL NOT KNOW HOW GOOD THE TEAM IS, that is disheartening to me. The entertainment factor goes way down.

To me, the two most entertaining games in BYU's history: BYU vs. Michigan, and BYU vs. Miami. Growing up, I can't recall a single BYU game against a conference opponent.

Non-conference games are BYU fans' only chance to feel like they are with the big boys. And now we have an AD who is tossing that in the toilet.

I actually care less about BYU now than I did back in the Crowton days.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:31 AM   #45
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
OK, why does not liking this equate to having ones panties in a wad. Is that better?
Why does it not equate to it? Cause of the money thing?

For the record I'm not liking the Northern Iowa thing either.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:34 AM   #46
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
it is a fallacy only if you are in a bcs conference. hate to break it to you, but there is no way that a non-bcs team will be playing for the national championship under the current system (i.e. a system that is not a playoff) unless they have a strong schedule.
What's your point? I wasn't saying a non-BCS team could play for national championship without a tough SOS. I was just saying there are a lot of other reasons to have a tough SOS for BYU.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:48 AM   #47
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
To me, the two most entertaining games in BYU's history: BYU vs. Michigan, and BYU vs. Miami. Growing up, I can't recall a single BYU game against a conference opponent.
I remember my freshman year in 89....against Air Force, I think....the team was penalized because the crowd was too loud. Weirdest penalty I have ever seen in my life.

Lots of shhhh's being heard afterwards, mocking the refs.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:49 AM   #48
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Why does it not equate to it? Cause of the money thing?

For the record I'm not liking the Northern Iowa thing either.
Sorry Rocky, I am lost. Did I not say there might be 90,000 people who might like a easy schedule. Those people would also have to buy tickets.

I am just not following you.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:51 AM   #49
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
It's a fallacy that tough schedule is only necessary for chance to become national champion. Tough schedule is important for

1. Ticket sales
2. Fan enthusiasm
3. Recruiting--"you're going to play a schedule just as tough as you would if you go to ASU or pretty close at least"
4. chance to make BCS with one even two losses
5. integrity, i.e. we're a top 40 program but we purposefully schedule a #90 SOS in order to ensure wins?
6. ESPN and other national exposure
7. prepare for conference play, i.e. get better playing good teams or expose weaknesses early on to fix them rather than wait till you're in conference play to find out
8. future TV money for conference and self

I think you could go on and on.
In general, I don't disagree. For next year, under the circumstances, I'm fine with Northern Iowa. I'm not saying I want to play them or southern Arkansas or eastern New Hampshire every year. I think an undefeated season next year is possible, and it would certainly put BYU into a BCS bowl. I also think the Northern Iowa game next year will be a good warm up to help insure wins against Washington and UCLA - 2 out of conference wins - which I think is the next hurdle BYU needs to overcome.

Baby steps.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:54 AM   #50
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
you have to give it to pete carroll - he is not afraid to play a brutal schedule.
SC really only schedules 2 teams a year. They play 9 PAC games and Notre Dame every year. Overall, they do a pretty good job bringing in good teams. Over the past 5 or so years, PC has been alternating more or less.....one year a good team, one year a lame team.

A lame team being defined as MWC, WAC, et al.

For example, this past season, SC opened against the Idaho Vandals. Lame. The other non-conference was Nebraska.....scheduled years in advance, not lame.

This next season, Ohio State and Virginia....both very good schedules in advance.

In 2009, it will be Ohio State and San Jose State.

In 2010, it will be Virgina and Hawaii, which is kind of 2 lame teams in consecutive seasons.

The point is, SC always plays Notre Dame, which, over the course of time, is usually a great get. Then they play one to two great draws, plus the standard PAC schedule. BYU....well, our scheduling could be better, let's just say that much.

I still think the PAC never gets the respect it deserves. The SEC is a fantastic conference, no doubt. But the PAC is nice. Plus, they are research institutions!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote