cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2008, 03:46 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SipiTau View Post
You hit that on the head; obviously you've dealt with Polynesians. With Faka Tonga (The Tongan Way) it's more appropiate to tell a white lie to avoid the confrontation and save face, then it is to tell the truth and offend or be considered rude. Samoans are quite similar in this approach as well.

FWIW, his father favors USC, and that carries a lot of weight with the poly kids. I'm interested to see where he ends up; if at SC it's probably to appease his parents, at BYU, I'd say he's following his own heart.
Seems like it is the usually the opposite. parents want BYU, kid wants BCS school.

This is going to be a real test for Bronco, to see if he can actually get this fish in the boat.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:07 PM   #12
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You hit that on the head; obviously you've dealt with Polynesians. With Faka Tonga (The Tongan Way) it's more appropiate to tell a white lie to avoid the confrontation and save face, then it is to tell the truth and offend or be considered rude. Samoans are quite similar in this approach as well.

FWIW, his father favors USC, and that carries a lot of weight with the poly kids. I'm interested to see where he ends up; if at SC it's probably to appease his parents, at BYU, I'd say he's following his own heart.
I was under the impression his parents favored BYU. With this tidbit, I change my prediction. I think he is going to USC. I officially expect it to be such.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:26 PM   #13
SipiTau

SipiTau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I was under the impression his parents favored BYU. With this tidbit, I change my prediction. I think he is going to USC. I officially expect it to be such.
It's not over yet, I think this one goes down to the wire. It wouldn't shock me if he chose BYU.
SipiTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:30 PM   #14
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
It's not over yet, I think this one goes down to the wire. It wouldn't shock me if he chose BYU.
Honestly, doesn't Sark have some compassion on us? Can't he just go to Pete and say look, we can get another elsewhere or another next year. BYU has this chance once or twice a decade. We let Sark drink like a sailor at BYU and did nothing about it. A little compassion back the way to his alma mater. Is it all because he had to look at Chad Lewis nekkid while shaking the hand of an LDS Apostle?

For the love of Lavell just give us the token mormon. He got Havili and we didn't whine or question his devotion to the Gospel of Christ, well at least I didn't. Why can't there be mercy upon us?

He goes to SC, you know it and I know it. That is why SC is SC and BYU is BYU.

Damn you. Growing up in Simi Valley I was a Bruin fan and now I know why.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:31 PM   #15
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

For some reason I just have a good feeling about this. If the kid had been leaning strongly to another school prior to showing up at BYU, I would be worried about the strong BYU spirit catching hold of him while he was there and then leaving as he crossed the Utah County border.

Pre-trip I didn't hear things about he wanted to play for a big school, the BCS was important to him, etc. I would think the urge to play right away might also have some influence.

There have been some comments that he may not be as sure about a mission as some folks have suggested. If there is that underlying current and his Dad has picked up on it, that might have the Dad also swinging toward BYU.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:33 PM   #16
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
For some reason I just have a good feeling about this. If the kid had been leaning strongly to another school prior to showing up at BYU, I would be worried about the strong BYU spirit catching hold of him while he was there and then leaving as he crossed the Utah County border.

Pre-trip I didn't hear things about he wanted to play for a big school, the BCS was important to him, etc. I would think the urge to play right away might also have some influence.

There have been some comments that he may not be as sure about a mission as some folks have suggested. If there is that underlying current and his Dad has picked up on it, that might have the Dad also swinging toward BYU.
You are setting yourself up for a letdown that I cannot support. He will go to USC. You know it and I know it.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:35 PM   #17
BYU71

Quote:
Honestly, doesn't Sark have some compassion on us? Can't he just go to Pete and say look, we can get another elsewhere or another next year. BYU has this chance once or twice a decade. We let Sark drink like a sailor at BYU and did nothing about it. A little compassion back the way to his alma mater. Is it all because he had to look at Chad Lewis nekkid while shaking the hand of an LDS Apostle?

For the love of Lavell just give us the token mormon. He got Havili and we didn't whine or question his devotion to the Gospel of Christ, well at least I didn't. Why can't there be mercy upon us?

He goes to SC, you know it and I know it. That is why SC is SC and BYU is BYU.

Damn you. Growing up in Simi Valley I was a Bruin fan and now I know why.
At some point do you think the "all we have to do is get the really good mormon kids" sentiment will go away. First, I never have believed that, but how do you make sure you get all the really good mormon kids.

Have the prophet come out and say, "every 3 star and above LDS kid should be a BYU football player??

Get into a BCS conference, so we can at least compete that way.

Any other suggestions.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:36 PM   #18
BYU71

Quote:
You are setting yourself up for a letdown that I cannot support. He will go to USC. You know it and I know it.

We will see. This is one of those I am serious about and you can 1 up me if he ends up at USC.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:44 PM   #19
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP

BYU has a really good story to sell now that we've finished top 15 2 years in a row and the pre-season polls have us in good shape for next year. It becomes much easier to get the great players when you can tell them, "you will be the guy to put us over the top."
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:50 PM   #20
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insensitive PAP View Post
BYU has a really good story to sell now that we've finished top 15 2 years in a row and the pre-season polls have us in good shape for next year. It becomes much easier to get the great players when you can tell them, "you will be the guy to put us over the top."
I agree that BYU can make that claim, but not against USC. I would be comfortable if it were UCLA that was the competition, but SC is the biggest stage in college football right now and unless Carrol leaves there is no reason to view that changing anytime soon.

SC has the stage. SC has one parent's support. SC has a Poly brotherhood. SC is close to home. SC will let him go on a mission that he doesn't want to go on. SC can virtually gurantee him the chance to play in a couple of BCS bowls.

BYU gets UNI in its opener and a big game against TCU. BYU is the mtn. BYU is his school's faith and it will give him a chance to probably play a lot as a freshman and start for 3 years. It also gives him a good shot of playing in a BCS bowl.

As I said, I am impressed that Mendenhall has made it thus far given that it is not his parents deepest wishes. That impresses me, honestly. Perhaps he will land Kaveinga and if he doesn't he will land some in time. Mendenhall seems to be getting closer.