cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2008, 12:09 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ute's all century team

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...252553,00.html,

an august group, but Arnie Ferrin's name thereon makes me wonder. Yeah, the argument against comparing eras and the Utes won an NCAA when he was I believe, but he couldn't hold a candle to the remaining guys on the team. Would he even make it out of back court against Andre Miller?
Old 02-13-2008, 12:11 AM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

an august group, but Arnie Ferrin's name thereon makes me wonder. Yeah, the argument against comparing eras and the Utes won an NCAA when he was I believe, but he couldn't hold a candle to the remaining guys on the team. Would he even make it out of back court against Andre Miller?
What? No Luther 'ticky' Burden!?! this is a sham!
Old 02-13-2008, 01:32 AM   #3
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Kind of hard not to have a guy on the all century team when you've retired his jersey. Also he was a 4 time all american and final four mvp
Old 02-13-2008, 04:13 PM   #4
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

You are right Arch...but when you put these things together, you have to compare what that player did against his competition. And yes, you are right, I doubt he would get the ball past midcourt against Andre.

Anyway, it is a pretty impressive list that the Utes put out.

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:18 PM   #5
creekster

I can't believe the lack of love for Ticky. He ended up doing some bad things but he was quite a player in his day What was the name of the center in the same period? Mike something? He had a very, very impressive afro, as I recall.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:30 PM   #6
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I can't believe the lack of love for Ticky. He ended up doing some bad things but he was quite a player in his day What was the name of the center in the same period? Mike something? He had a very, very impressive afro, as I recall.
Sojourner was his name. I think his brother was named Willie and played at Weber.

Those were great days.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:36 PM   #7
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Sojourner was his name. I think his brother was named Willie and played at Weber.

Those were great days.
That's the guy. I just realized it was listed in the article among notables that didn't make it. But since you gave it to me first, you win the prixe for the day. Please contact Mike W or Archaea for details about delivery of the prize to you.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:23 PM   #8
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
That's the guy. I just realized it was listed in the article among notables that didn't make it. But since you gave it to me first, you win the prixe for the day. Please contact Mike W or Archaea for details about delivery of the prize to you.
I didn't even read the article. I nabbed that one from my longterm memory.

I was a big time U basketball fan. I still remember Buster Matheney clanking a break away dunk off the back of the rim in an Sweet Sixteen loss to UNLV in the West Regional. Had the Utes won that game they would have been a shoe in for the Final Four since Idaho State had upset Brett Vroman and UCLA in the first game. I still blaim Buster.

Thankfully BYU saved me and Jeff Judkins from a life of self hate.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.

Last edited by myboynoah; 02-13-2008 at 05:44 PM.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:32 PM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
You are right Arch...but when you put these things together, you have to compare what that player did against his competition. And yes, you are right, I doubt he would get the ball past midcourt against Andre.

Anyway, it is a pretty impressive list that the Utes put out.
It is an impressive list, but for those war years deserve an asterisk, lots of great athletes were at war, and blacks were not allowed to play en masse on the college teams. So the quality of competition was suspect.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:22 PM   #10
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Ticky should definitely be on there, for crying out loud. No question. He deserves it more than several on there. I don't want to name them for fear of death threats, because they are some of the biggest sacred cows (they're white and from Utah, of course).

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote