cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2008, 11:32 PM   #11
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Ticky should definitely be on there, for crying out loud. No question. He deserves it more than several on there. I don't want to name them for fear of death threats, because they are some of the biggest sacred cows (they're white and from Utah, of course).

All kidding aside, like MBN I was a U of U fan as a kid (my mom was employed there so I had a natural affinity). Again in all seriousness, Ticky Burden was a great scorer. He was a lot of fun to watch and I do think he should be on the team.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:43 AM   #12
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Ticky should definitely be on there, for crying out loud. No question. He deserves it more than several on there. I don't want to name them for fear of death threats, because they are some of the biggest sacred cows (they're white and from Utah, of course).
The two you are thinking of are Alex Jensen and Josh Grant.

I can give you Grant but Alex Jensen dwarfs Burden. Alex Jensen is the best player to ever play in the short history of the MWC (that includes Bogut)
Old 02-14-2008, 01:12 AM   #13
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
The two you are thinking of are Alex Jensen and Josh Grant.

I can give you Grant but Alex Jensen dwarfs Burden. Alex Jensen is the best player to ever play in the short history of the MWC (that includes Bogut)
I rest my case. He was good, yes, but there were three players on the final four team who were demonstrably better. As a junior Burden averaged 30+ ppg and was first team all-American. He was a great pro till his knee blew out (Utah only got him because he had what was thought to be a career ending injury in HS.). Jensen never smelled those achievements. In today's game with the 3 point shot and shot clock, Burden would average 40 a game. He led the nation in scoring in Pimm's motion offense.

Jensen was a great role player, not all-century status. But Utah fans rate him way above Andre Miller in polls. Miller was almost solely responsible for Utah's Final Two run. It's not hard to see why the average Ute fan favors Jensen. He reminds them of thesemves. It's kind of disgusting.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 02-14-2008 at 01:16 AM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:16 AM   #14
Mormon Red Death

Quote:
I rest my case. He was good, yes, but there were three players on the final four team who were demonstrably better. (Utah only got him because he had what was thought to be a career ending injury in HS.).
You are thinking of McGill not Burden
Old 02-14-2008, 01:23 AM   #15
Mormon Red Death

Quote:
I rest my case. He was good, yes, but there were three players on the final four team who were demonstrably better. As a junior Burden averaged 30+ ppg and was first team all-American. He was a great pro till his knee blew out (Utah only got him because he had what was thought to be a career ending injury in HS.). Jensen never smelled those achievements. In today's game with the 3 point shot and shot clock, Burden would average 40 a game. He led the nation in scoring in Pimm's motion offense.

Jensen was a great role player, not all-century status. But Utah fans rate him way above Andre Miller in polls. Miller was almost solely responsible for Utah's Final Two run. It's not hard to see why the average Ute fan favors Jensen. He reminds them of thesemves. It's kind of disgusting.
Please I guess scoring is the only thing that matters When we needed to shut down Vince Carter who did we put on him? Who always made the extra pass? Who was the best rebounder on the team? Only miller was a better player on that final four team.

comparison
Scoring Edge Burden
Rebounding Edge Jensen
Passing Edge Jensen
Defense Large Edge Jensen
Hustle Edge Jensen
Basketball IQ Edge Jensen
Old 02-14-2008, 01:29 AM   #16
Mormon Red Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
All kidding aside, like MBN I was a U of U fan as a kid (my mom was employed there so I had a natural affinity). Again in all seriousness, Ticky Burden was a great scorer. He was a lot of fun to watch and I do think he should be on the team.
Its too bad you two had to join the dark side. We could have used a bearded guys with overalls and a cute little monkey
Old 02-14-2008, 01:36 AM   #17
creekster

Quote:
Its too bad you two had to join the dark side. We could have used a bearded guys with overalls and a cute little monkey

At BYU they teach you that gibbons are APES, not monkeys, but we understand your disadvantage.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:40 AM   #18
creekster

Quote:
Please I guess scoring is the only thing that matters When we needed to shut down Vince Carter who did we put on him? Who always made the extra pass? Who was the best rebounder on the team? Only miller was a better player on that final four team.

comparison
Scoring Edge Burden
Rebounding Edge Jensen
Passing Edge Jensen
Defense Large Edge Jensen
Hustle Edge Jensen
Basketball IQ Edge Jensen
I think that you are too young to have enjoyed Burden's artistry. In that day, it was a different game, and IMO Burden was as valuable to the team then as Jensen was to his team. Ticky was a consensus AA and he did average nearly 30 his junior year and he was the man on that team that year. He had a nice pro-career and, but for the little incident with the law in the 80s, has done all right since then.

I'm fine with Jensen on the team, but some of the others (and I think you have conceded Josh Grant) should move over to let Ticky take a spot on the dais.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:42 AM   #19
Mormon Red Death

Quote:
At BYU they teach you that gibbons are APES, not monkeys, but we understand your disadvantage.
ooh ooh aaa oooh ooh... you cute little monkey
Old 02-14-2008, 01:46 AM   #20
Mormon Red Death

Quote:
I think that you are too young to have enjoyed Burden's artistry. In that day, it was a different game, and IMO Burden was as valuable to the team then as Jensen was to his team. Ticky was a consensus AA and he did average nearly 30 his junior year and he was the man on that team that year. He had a nice pro-career and, but for the little incident with the law in the 80s, has done all right since then.

I'm fine with Jensen on the team, but some of the others (and I think you have conceded Josh Grant) should move over to let Ticky take a spot on the dais.
You are probably right I am too young and that is the reason Jensen is on the list not Burden. SU suggests its racial but it has more to do with the fact that the voters are younger