cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2008, 02:47 PM   #31
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
His conviction was overturned, but you think he must have been guilty. Right? Because why? Let me guess. Showing your true colors.
So you are calling me a racist? I guess you are the POS everyone purports you to be. Look I never saw Ticky Burden play. I did however see every game at Utah Alex Jensen played. So I guess I am biased. As for Burden getting redemption I'm not the one keeping his number from being retired. I would support them retiring his number from what you are saying it sounds like he deserved it. Perhaps you should send a letter. Also I didnt know he had that law issue until this thread.

In summary, most of the people voted for Alex Jensen over Burden because they saw him play versus no real recollection of Burden. It isn't a he's white and from utah crap you are trying to spill
Old 02-14-2008, 02:49 PM   #32
Mormon Red Death

btw... its the same with Comparing Vranes and chambers with Doleac and Van Horn. I have no recollection of Vranes and Chambers playing but I was in college with Doleac and Van Horn were there.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:57 PM   #33
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
btw... its the same with Comparing Vranes and chambers with Doleac and Van Horn. I have no recollection of Vranes and Chambers playing but I was in college with Doleac and Van Horn were there.

Vranes was very athletic but, as I think about it, that is pretty much all he was (I am starting to feel al little like MBN's sycophant). Chambers had a few moves and could score but was never particularly athletic (as I recall). I would put Van Horn first, then CHambers, then Vranes then Doleac.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:02 PM   #34
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
So you are calling me a racist? I guess you are the POS everyone purports you to be. Look I never saw Ticky Burden play. I did however see every game at Utah Alex Jensen played. So I guess I am biased. As for Burden getting redemption I'm not the one keeping his number from being retired. I would support them retiring his number from what you are saying it sounds like he deserved it. Perhaps you should send a letter. Also I didnt know he had that law issue until this thread.

In summary, most of the people voted for Alex Jensen over Burden because they saw him play versus no real recollection of Burden. It isn't a he's white and from utah crap you are trying to spill
I don't think you're a racist. I was just teasing, actually seeing how it felt to act like Waters. That was a good imitation of Waters, don't you think?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:15 PM   #35
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Vranes was very athletic but, as I think about it, that is pretty much all he was (I am starting to feel al little like MBN's sycophant). Chambers had a few moves and could score but was never particularly athletic (as I recall). I would put Van Horn first, then CHambers, then Vranes then Doleac.
Full disclosure: Vranes is a friend of mine and my brother's brother in law.

But here's the God's honest truth. Vranes was a materially better collegian than Chambers, and Vranes was far from just athleticism. Vranes made the Olympic team, Chambers didn't (back then we fielded an amateur team). Vranes (like Burden) was first team all-American per some major wire services, Chambers was at most honorable mention. Vranes was no. 5 pick in the NBA draft, Chambers was no. 8 overall. Chambers scored 1-2 points a game more their senior year, but Vranes always rebounded better and played both ends of the court better. The honest to God truth is Mormons generally have underappreciated Vranes because he didn't go to BYU (he would have played with Ainge, Fred Roberts, Greg Kite, Devin Durrant, etc.!).

Chambers wound up the better pro, and it's not hard to see why. Vranes was 6-7 and didn't quite have the requisite skills to be an NBA guard. He was a tweener. Chambers was nearly 7 feet and ran the floor like Karl Malone, and developed a solid three point shot. I bet Vranes still rebounded better in the NBA; Chambers was a weak rebounder for a man of his physique. He also had kind of a Kobe Bryant ethos vis-a-vis his team mates. He was kind of a ball hog, even in college. I think one reason he made it bigger in the NBA than Vranes is that he was not nearly as nice a person as Vranes. Chambers was never very well liked. He had his best years here in Seattle and isn't very fondly remembered.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 02-14-2008 at 05:21 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:21 PM   #36
Mormon Red Death

Quote:

But here's the God's honest truth. Vranes was a materially better collegian than Chambers, and Vranes was far from just athleticism. Vranes made the Olympic team, Chambers didn't (back then we fielded an amateur team). Vranes (like Burden) was first team all-American per some major wire services, Chambers was at most honorable mention. Vranes was no. 5 pick in the NBA draft, Chambers was no. 8 overall. Chambers scored 1-2 points a game more their senior year, but Vranes always rebounded better and played both ends of the court better. The honest to God truth is Mormons generally have underappreciated Vranes because he didn't go to BYU (he would have played with Ainge, Fred Roberts, Greg Kite, Devin Durrant, etc.!).

Chambers wound up the better pro, and it's not hard to see why. Vranes was 6-7 and didn't quite have the requisite skills to be an NBA guard. He was a tweener. Chambers was nearly 7 feet and ran the floor like Karl Malone, and developed a solid three point shot. I bet Vranes still rebounded better in the NBA; Chambers was a weak rebounder for a man of his physique. He also had kind of a Kobe Bryant ethos vis-a-vis his team mates. He was kind of a ball hog, even in college. I think one reason he made it bigger in the NBA than Vranes is that he was not nearly as nice a person as Vranes.
The only thing I ever really knew about Vranes (besides stories from my siblings and dad) was that his daughter is smoking hot... well at least she was in high school
Old 02-14-2008, 06:09 PM   #37
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

hmmm.... Arnie Ferrin was my mission president, bion.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:24 PM   #38
creekster

Quote:

Since he's your buddy, maybe you can tell me, why didn't he go to BYU? He seemed like a nice guy and that would have been a hell of good team. Roberts, Durrant and Vranes? Very nice.

Chambers wound up the better pro, and it's not hard to see why. Vranes was 6-7 and didn't quite have the requisite skills to be an NBA guard. He was a tweener. Chambers was nearly 7 feet and ran the floor like Karl Malone, and developed a solid three point shot. I bet Vranes still rebounded better in the NBA; Chambers was a weak rebounder for a man of his physique. He also had kind of a Kobe Bryant ethos vis-a-vis his team mates. He was kind of a ball hog, even in college. I think one reason he made it bigger in the NBA than Vranes is that he was not nearly as nice a person as Vranes. Chambers was never very well liked. He had his best years here in Seattle and isn't very fondly remembered.
You're probabyl right about that. I actually went to school with Fred Roberts and I do recall being annoyed that Vranes did not go to BYU, so this may color my recollection. The memories I have of Vranes are that he was an incredible leaper and he used to sky for boards and then come down arms and legs all akimbo.

I also seem to recall that at some pojnt early in his collegiate career Vranes had a knee injury that diminshed his leaping abilites; is this true? In any event, I can't pass judgment on whether or nto he was nicer, nor do I think that should very important in this particualr discussion.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:35 PM   #39
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The honest to God truth is Mormons generally have underappreciated Vranes because he didn't go to BYU (he would have played with Ainge, Fred Roberts, Greg Kite, Devin Durrant, etc.!).
Gee, and we were getting along so well.

Maybe this was the case with others, but not with me. I was still somewhat a fan of U basketball. Those were just my thoughts and impressions at the time. Everyone fawned over him yet he didn't appear to have a real offensive move. Maybe it was all the hype. creeksters "limbs all akimbo" description fits well for me.

No. 5 and 8 picks and they still lose to NC in SLC. Sad.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:45 PM   #40
creekster

Man, just thinking baout these guys really makes me miss those days. Great players, high draft picks, great teams. How things can change, eh? Whatever happened?