cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2008, 06:56 PM   #21
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

If you really want Jake Locker stopped, I know this guy . . .

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:23 PM   #22
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP
Default We haven't faced anyone good the last 2 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Remind me again - what QB ran for 100 yards against us in the last two years?

Locker is certainly one of the most talented running QB's we've faced in the last two years, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him run for less than 60 yards against us.
Locker ran for almost 1000 yards, averged 5.7 per carry, and had 13 TDs playing in the PAC 10. He's going to get plenty of yards against our conservative 3 man rush.
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:27 PM   #23
BYUTexan

BYUTexan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insensitive PAP View Post
Locker ran for almost 1000 yards, averged 5.7 per carry, and had 13 TDs playing in the PAC 10. He's going to get plenty of yards against our conservative 3 man rush.
Well.... Shit

The eyes of Texas are upon you Michael Reed (and David Nixon).
BYUTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:45 PM   #24
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
If you really want Jake Locker stopped, I know this guy . . .
We all know il Padrino.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:11 PM   #25
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insensitive PAP View Post
ANYONE good?

Shaun Carney rushed for 637 yards @ 4.7 YPC last year. Against BYU: 9 rushes for 5 yards.

Dennis Dixon rushed for 583 yards @ 5.6 YPC last year, following his bowl appearance, on a bum knee. He didn't rush 100 yards against BYU.

You're overstating your case here. Yes, Locker is easily the most talented running QB we've faced in the last two years. Yes, he's going to gain some yards against us. I doubt he rushes for 100+ yards, as BYU's truly not shown a tendency to give up those kind of yards to ANYONE in recent years.

Also, FWIW, our 'conservative 3-man rush' is misleading as well. We rush at least one LB on most downs.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:57 PM   #26
MLOdawgs

MLOdawgs is on a distinguished road
Default Jake Locker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
ANYONE good?
Decide for yourself, here is his rushing stats per game.

Opp / Carries / Total Yards / AVG

SYR / 10 / 83 / 8.3
BSU / 16 / 84 / 5.3
tOSU / 14 / 102 / 7.3
UCLA / 15 / 92 / 6.1
USC / 18 / 50 / 2.8
ASU / 12 / 48 / 4.0
ORE / 13 / 78 / 6.0
ARI / 23 / 157 / 6.8
STAN / 16 / 97 / 6.1
OSU / 6 / 16 / 2.7 <-- knocked out of game in 2nd qtr via helmet-to-helmet collision.
CAL - did not play -
WSU / 14 / 103 / 7.4
HA / 15 / 76 / 5.1

Locker averaged 88 rushing yards per game last year in the PAC-10. This year I think it will greatly depend on the receivers. If the young guys can mature quickly than he probably wont have nearly as much rushing attempts and thus less yards, however, if the young receivers act like young receivers than his rushing attempts will pivot on Brandon Johnson and the running game and if it produces or not.

I doubt he will need to rush for 1000 yards again, but it's possible.

So far, he has and will continue to spend the off-season working on his intermediate passing and touch. Also, since the start of January, Locker has taken it upon himself to round up all his young receivers four times a week to practice the passing game and build chemistry with each other.

"Year 2 with Jake in our system, you will see him grow big time," Lappano said. "You won't see the mistakes, some of the short throws that he missed. I don't think you are going to see that. Fundamentally, he's pretty sound."

"The prime culprit was inconsistency hitting short-to-intermediate throws.

"We want to see his accuracy improve, especially on the short stuff," Lappano said. "What I want to make sure is that the quick passing game, the 7-8-yard hitches, the quick screens, all that kind of stuff is on the mark."

Locker says he thinks he began finding that consistency during offseason drills. He threw four times a week and also took part in seven-on-seven drills twice a week.

"I didn't change any of my mechanics at all, just concentrated on my footwork and just tried to throw the ball as many times as I could," he said. "That's one of the things I needed to do is just throw and get repetitions and get used to the routes we are running and get comfortable with [the passing plays]. I felt like I got a lot better at that this offseason."

Article Source:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...41_uwfb02.html

He looked very good throwing the ball in the spring game:

"And while there were a number of highlights in the eyes of UW coaches — the apparent improvement of the defense, the playmaking ability of some of the young skill players on offense — the continuing progression of Locker might have been the biggest."

"Locker led his team to just one touchdown and was on the Purple team, which lost to the Gold 10-7. But his numbers spoke loudly as he was 13-of-17 passing for 159 yards and one touchdown, with a couple of passes dropped."

Article Sources:
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=404989
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...36_uwfb27.html
MLOdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:12 AM   #27
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLOdawgs View Post
Good info and welcome to the board.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:21 AM   #28
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

I think having one of the defenders tackle him is the best way to stop him.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:34 PM   #29
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLOdawgs View Post
[/url]
I stand by my prediction that he won't rush for 100 yards against BYU, and I will be unsurprised if he rushes for less than 60.

He topped 100 yards just three times in those games you listed. The lack of experienced talent at the key skill positions seems, to me, to lead to the belief that BYU will be able to key on him and prevent many long runs.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:13 AM   #30
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
BYU, on the road vs. Pac-10. Betting man will count this as a L.
I don't think BYU has won an out of conference road game since Bronco has been Head Coach.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote