cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2008, 06:27 PM   #11
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
1. BYU loses a scholarship player for next year's team. That is pretty harsh punishment imho.

2. I would rather win or lose with good kids, then take marginal ones and score a few more touchdowns. Honestly, I'd take a third loss in both of the last two years to not have had to hear once about a BYU football player breaking down apartment doors or getting arrested etc.
1. One of 85. In fact, they can now likely offer a scholarship to a walk-on who otherwise would be paying his own way through school.

2. And would you like to see every student of BYU who makes stupid mistakes get kicked out without so much as a second chance? Even if we come to the conclusion that Tonga is without hope for improving his character (and even that's assuming his character is of the type you are judging him to be), the one person who was helped by BYU's policies is well worth his failure.

If you want to debate the moral obligations of the BYU football team's students, why don't you do it on the religion board?

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:28 PM   #12
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
And want to meet in the parking lot and challenge me to say it to your face? Right? Lol. Grow up.
Way to puss out and not answer the challenge.

Again, I call your bluff.

You are a liar and a coward.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:29 PM   #13
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Thank goodness mullah's like you don't run the show.
For one that purports to be so wise and inclusionary, he's being awfully judgmental here, isn't he?

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Old 05-12-2008, 06:30 PM   #14
Spaz

Zilog, because you started this Adam-fest, I banish you from visiting this site while at work for the next 2 days.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:30 PM   #15
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

I just did a search of the arrest records in all counties in the state of Utah as well as San Mateo where Manase is from, and the only incident is the one everyone knows about.

So he must not be too bad.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:31 PM   #16
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
2. I would rather win or lose with good kids, then take marginal ones and score a few more touchdowns. Honestly, I'd take a third loss in both of the last two years to not have had to hear once about a BYU football player breaking down apartment doors or getting arrested etc.
I want to win with a small dose of marginal kids, some of which, who will take the opportunity to become great kids. Of course some kids won't take rise to the occaision so there will be some attrition, but if you are not willing to take risks there won't be rewards.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:32 PM   #17
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
For one that purports to be so wise and inclusionary, he's being awfully judgmental here, isn't he?
I read this bleeding for BYU crap on CB from him a long time ago. He loves the school, the values and on and on and on. That's fine unless at the same time you dislike the church organizaion for so many things and are such a lib. when it comes to politics.

He bleeds for the poor, the oppressed, the minorities. Maybe BYU represents his refuge where he can pull for martial law in case all the oppressed turn on him.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:32 PM   #18
cougjunkie

Let me add that the charges brought against Manase were as follows:

failure to stop or yield
stop sign violation
expired registration

They did not even charge him with false information.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:34 PM   #19
cougjunkie

Quote:
There are two positions here:

1. Take only kids you believe without reservation will stay honorable and legal and acedemic and take the results on the field as best you can.

or

2. Take marginal kids and plan on some of them some of the time being dishonorable and illegal and unadademic but hope they perform better on the field the the good kids would have.

I though Bronco had decided on the first choice and I though he was roundly praised for it. I think he has and I have praised him for it.

With two exceptions (that I know about): Tonga and Hooks. Both those guys are stupid and dangerous and trouble. They pose a serious threat to dragging their teammates into the gutter with them (like Hooks did with So'oto). They wouldn't be on my team. And I am disappointed Bronco let them stay. BYU football now pays the price with a lost scholarship for 2008. Let's hope Hooks stays out of trouble so we don't lose two.
Tonga drags kids in to the gutter because he ran a stop sign, and had an expired registration on his car.

You are an idiot.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:36 PM   #20
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
I want to win with a small dose of marginal kids, some of which, who will take the opportunity to become great kids. Of course some kids won't take rise to the occaision so there will be some attrition, but if you are not willing to take risks there won't be rewards.
It is too bad Adam wasn't around to run Cosic out of town. Maybe he could have gotten rid of Kozlowski or Mahe. How about McDonald. Of course Mikeli Wesli should have been run off. Crap, Bronco let that marginal Todd Shell talk at a fireside.

BYU is just not the place for marginal people.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote