cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2008, 03:30 AM   #21
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
It has never been that way in football. What does the BCS have to do with it?

The championship in football has always been a result of voting.
I know completely different point I'm gonna bring up here...but do you actually like and are in favor of the BCS as opposed to a Playoff or....are you just arguing Il Pad's other point here?
Old 06-23-2008, 03:48 AM   #22
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I hate the BCS, but I don't think this is true at all. You can actually see who had the better odds of making a BCS bowl by just looking at the final BCS rankings. Was Duke ever higher than Bowling Green, BYU, Utah or any other modestly successful non-BCS program?
As I told DDD, that isn't the point. Duke has a shot every year simply because it is in a BCS conference. Non-BCS teams have a strike against them each year because they are non-BCS.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:03 AM   #23
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Before the BCS, the teams that the BCS have decided are unworthy to participate had a chance. 1984 ring a bell?

While the precious method was chosen by voters, it was a helluva lot better than computers deciding it and all teams had an equal shot.
How was it better. How many mid-majors won NCs pre-BCS?

1...unless you go back to the era when Army was actually a powerhouse.

What does it matter that UNLV cant content for a football NC....they arent going to win one anyway.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:21 AM   #24
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
How was it better. How many mid-majors won NCs pre-BCS?

1...unless you go back to the era when Army was actually a powerhouse.

What does it matter that UNLV cant content for a football NC....they arent going to win one anyway.
Now you're just trying to get under my skin. It ain't gonna happen.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:29 AM   #25
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I know completely different point I'm gonna bring up here...but do you actually like and are in favor of the BCS as opposed to a Playoff or....are you just arguing Il Pad's other point here?
I am mostly indifferent to the BCS. Given the choice, I would much prefer a playoff...but not because of the BCS. I wanted a playoff even before the BCS or the Bowl Alliance. I think a playoff would be more exciting than the current system...or the system prior to the BCS.

I don't buy or have sympathy for the "we are not being treated fairly" argument that mid-majors make. If they produced a better product, they would have been invited.

I don't buy the "crappy BCS team is in a better position than good mid-major team..." While technically true, practically speaking, Duke is in no danger of stumbling upon a football NC, so we don't have to worry about it.

My whole thing with the complaining.....practically speaking, why does everyone care? Look back over the past 40 years at football championships. Which teams were the winners? The same usual suspects (except BYU once). All BCS teams, even before there was a BCS.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 06-23-2008, 04:32 AM   #26
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Now you're just trying to get under my skin. It ain't gonna happen.
I'm honestly not, promise.

I really feel that way. If BYU wins out this year, but SC or Ohio State wins out, too, SC or Ohio State deserves the slot over BYU because they have played a better schedule. That's the way I feel. And I see nothing inequitable about it.

The fact that there is no playoff is not the fault of the BCS. There was no playoff prior to the BCS. In fact, you could argue that the BCS was a stroke of genius....the conferences knew that there was a major cash market for organized post-season college football, so they invented the BCS....the closest thing we have to date to official post-season college football...and what do you know....they make millions.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:34 AM   #27
Lost Student

Lost Student is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't buy or have sympathy for the "we are not being treated fairly" argument that mid-majors make. If they produced a better product, they would have been invited.
I know you do not believe that inclusion into the BCS is based on on-the-field performance over other measurables (TV revenue, size of local media market, etc.).

edit: on a second reading, maybe I misunderstood--are you talking solely about the championship game?
Lost Student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:35 AM   #28
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
As I told DDD, that isn't the point. Duke has a shot every year simply because it is in a BCS conference. Non-BCS teams have a strike against them each year because they are non-BCS.
I am honestly becoming convinced that it is easier for a non-BCS team to get into the BCS than a BCS team, particularly under the new rules. The new rules virtually guarantee that a non-BCS school be included every year (Hawaii, Boise St., Utah, etc.). All you have to do is win all of your games (or maybe even lose one game if you start ranked high enough). That is far easier to do when your schedule is full of patsies (take a look at who Hawaii played last year- how could you NOT go undefeated?). Compare that to playing in the SEC or other BCS conference. If BYU beats UW and UCLA this year, they are a virtual lock to be in the BCS. Sure, they could stumble to Utah or TCU or some other team, but it isn't likely. I am actually becoming converted to the new BCS system as an improvement to the old system. The BCS still sucks (because it isn't a playoff and nothing short of a playoff will be great), but it is superior to the old method (which want any method at all).
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:38 AM   #29
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Student View Post
I know you do not believe that inclusion into the BCS is based on on-the-field performance over other measurables (TV revenue, size of local media market, etc.).

edit: on a second reading, maybe I misunderstood--are you talking solely about the championship game?
No, inclusion is based on both. I think that is probably fair....TV market, etc...again, if that is true, why would a mid-major be pissed? they have little to offer by way of media markets.

I am talking about the BCS in general. Which conferences were invited to participate in the Bowl Alliance when it was originated. There was a reason the crazy WAC and the Sun Belt and CUSA, et al, were not invited.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:40 AM   #30
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

The BCS has always and will always suck.

There is nothing good about it.