cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2008, 05:00 AM   #31
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
The BCS has always and will always suck.

There is nothing good about it.
I agree, which is why I think it is funny that Utes put so much stock in that relatively meaningless Fiesta Bowl victory.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:27 AM   #32
Lost Student

Lost Student is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
No, inclusion is based on both. I think that is probably fair....TV market, etc...again, if that is true, why would a mid-major be pissed? they have little to offer by way of media markets.

I am talking about the BCS in general. Which conferences were invited to participate in the Bowl Alliance when it was originated. There was a reason the crazy WAC and the Sun Belt and CUSA, et al, were not invited.
I'm pissed because it's stupid that revenue is a factor to determine who the "best" teams are. Hey, I've got an idea. why don't we just crown Notre Dame as the "best" football team every year? They have more viewers than anybody else, after all.
Lost Student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:31 AM   #33
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Student View Post
I'm pissed because it's stupid that revenue is a factor to determine who the "best" teams are. Hey, I've got an idea. why don't we just crown Notre Dame as the "best" football team every year? They have more viewers than anybody else, after all.
Nobody seems to be addressing my question.....go back 40 years. Please list all the non-BCS NC winners, and then explain why you care that the Sun Belt conference is not being given fair access today.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 06-23-2008, 05:08 PM   #34
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Nobody seems to be addressing my question.....go back 40 years. Please list all the non-BCS NC winners, and then explain why you care that the Sun Belt conference is not being given fair access today.

Not just that, go back 40 years and tell me how many non-BCS schools played in BCS bowls (defined as one of the top 4 or 5 bowl games of the day). The BCS today actually provides better access to non-BCS schools to make a top bowl game. National championship? Maybe it's tougher for a BYU today than it was in 1984, but the backlash against BYU 1984 already made it nearly impossible for weak schedule teams before the BCS kicked in, see Tulane and Marshall.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:40 PM   #35
Mars

Mars is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
And they should. Because by default, that conference is way better. I don't get why people assume there is some right to have access to play for the national championship, simply because you play football at your school. Maybe that is the fundamental flaw. Who said mid-majors should have a chance?
You're officially a dumb ass. What an idiotic BCS s**t-pie eating homer. I'll leave it at that.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:44 PM   #36
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
You're officially a dumb ass. What an idiotic BCS s**t-pie eating homer. I'll leave it at that.
These are all fair points. I appreciate your candor.

PS The hyphen should be between "pie" and "eating"

Old 06-23-2008, 11:45 PM   #37
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
These are all fair points. I appreciate your candor.

PS The hyphen should be between "pie" and "eating"

Unless the pie of feces is feasting on someone named Homer and he simply forgot the capital 'H."
Old 06-24-2008, 12:11 AM   #38
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
And using your line of thinking, why should any of the Division I teams that play basketball assume they have a right to have access to play for a true national championship, just because they play basketball?
George Mason had NO BUSINESS being in last year's final four! After all, who had they defeated during the previous 40 years? Nobody! So because those teams from 67-06 were no good, the 07 team was UNDESERVING of the chance to participate in the playoff. NONE!
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:17 AM   #39
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
George Mason had NO BUSINESS being in last year's final four! After all, who had they defeated during the previous 40 years? Nobody! So because those teams from 67-06 were no good, the 07 team was UNDESERVING of the chance to participate in the playoff. NONE!
nice strawman.

but to your point, how did George Mason do? Did they win the title?

No. No, they did not.

I haven't looked into it, but how many non-BCS conference teams in the past 40 years have won a hoops title, too? Admittedly it will be more than in football, but likely not that many.

The NCAA was smart with hoops. It created a nice moneymaker by including all conferences. but they needed 65 slots to be able to do such a thing. If the NCAA tournament were whittled down to 10 slots like the BCS, you would not be seeing any MAC, MWC, or SunBelt team in there. Conversely, if the NCAA football committee decided to invite 65 teams to a playoff, I am pretty sure the mid-majors would get a chance.

FAIL.

try again.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:26 AM   #40
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You're correct about which teams have won the football titles. But that isn't my point.

My point is that the BCS is a cartel that is bent on shutting out schools that it doesn't deem worthy to be a part of their little club. The money generated by the BCS has made it impossible to level the playing field for those that are not BCS.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote