cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2008, 09:53 PM   #11
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
UW doesn't practice field goals and extra points?
Teams rarely send everyone on either FG's or extra points. Even on this ideal situation for it, Bronco asked one of the assistants (can't remember which) if he thought they'd dare fake it. He was still a little hesitant, even 18 yds out.

I bet if you did a query on end-of-game FG's, you'd find a much higher percentage of blocks than those in the middle of the game. I think it's a legit reason for the block.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:55 PM   #12
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I think a fake kick and bootleg by the quarterback/holder was the winning play. We were all saying that before we realized the flag.
I thought you said you left the game early.
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:58 PM   #13
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
I thought you said you left the game early.
I came late. I was there through the end.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:59 PM   #14
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Were it not for the penalty BYU couldn't have sent the whole team for the block. It would have had to account for risk of a 2 point conversion. 15 yards closer in and the whole complexion is different.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:02 PM   #15
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Teams rarely send everyone on either FG's or extra points. Even on this ideal situation for it, Bronco asked one of the assistants (can't remember which) if he thought they'd dare fake it. He was still a little hesitant, even 18 yds out.

I bet if you did a query on end-of-game FG's, you'd find a much higher percentage of blocks than those in the middle of the game. I think it's a legit reason for the block.
OK, I can go with that. Still, if there is a much higher percentage of blocks on game ending field goals, I would most likely put that on my schedule to practice. To hear that the O-line was not prepared for the rush is a bit shocking.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:06 PM   #16
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
OK, I can go with that. Still, if there is a much higher percentage of blocks on game ending field goals, I would most likely put that on my schedule to practice. To hear that the O-line was not prepared for the rush is a bit shocking.
Yeah, I would think so too. When the kicker talked about it, he didn't seem to use it as an excuse--it was more in the context that the kick was solid, but the O-line seemed to have been overwhelmed by so many rushers, and that they got a good push. That's what it looked like to me as well.

EDIT: Incidentally, he also mentioned that he kicks all FG's and extra points exactly the same, no matter the distance, thus discounting the idiotic theory that he had to kick it with a much lower trajectory because the kick was SO long.

SECOND EDIT: Just noticed the kicker thread below, so I guess the kicker story isn't "news" either.

Last edited by ERCougar; 09-10-2008 at 10:17 PM.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:17 PM   #17
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Learn some football friend before you post again. That's okay, put down Today's Ballet and learn what we plebeians watch.
Do YOU have anything substantive to say? ERCougar, someone generally hostile to SU, has confirmed my theory as correct. ER is knowladgeable about football. Agreed? Just because I know about a lot of stuff and have varied interests doesn't mean I don't know football.

—Paul Auster
Old 09-10-2008, 11:06 PM   #18
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Do YOU have anything substantive to say? ERCougar, someone generally hostile to SU, has confirmed my theory as correct. ER is knowladgeable about football. Agreed? Just because I know about a lot of stuff and have varied interests doesn't mean I don't know football.
SU, I forgot to mention, but when I went to Wild Ginger for late supper on Saturday night, I saw your bounced check taped to the wall behind the cash register.

Small world!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:08 PM   #19
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Creekster, who is generally not hostile to SU, thinks SU shoudl stop using the third person. Of course, creekster know that SU gotta do what SU gotta do.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:12 PM   #20
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
SU, I forgot to mention, but when I went to Wild Ginger for late supper on Saturday night, I saw your bounced check taped to the wall behind the cash register.

Small world!
David, stop fibbing.

—Paul Auster