cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2008, 09:52 PM   #11
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
2. TCU and Utah need to win out (or at least one of them needs to and the other needs to have one loss to OU at the most).
Are you forgetting that they have to play each other? Or am I misunderstanding you here?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:53 PM   #12
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Sure, if they have some quality wins. But, that possibility doesn't exist with your schedule.

And it never will in the mwc.
I think most years you would be right, but if TCU somehow beat OU (hey I was saying the same thing last night about UNLV ASU) and Utah wins out. That showdown would be between to highly ranked undefeated teams with, if not quality wins, high profile wins. I think that it is possible, but not likely.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:59 PM   #13
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Maybe a chance out to 8 decimal places, but not realistically.

Maybe if everyone in the SEC has 4 losses.
But then we are back to 8 decimal places.
You're overstating the bias. The human voters have the ability to determine the final standings. That's what we saw happen last year.

If the SEC teams have two losses and BYU is undefeated with wins over two Pac-10 teams and Utah, BYU will make the championship game.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:02 PM   #14
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
I think most years you would be right, but if TCU somehow beat OU (hey I was saying the same thing last night about UNLV ASU) and Utah wins out. That showdown would be between to highly ranked undefeated teams with, if not quality wins, high profile wins. I think that it is possible, but not likely.
The rest of the country doesn't see it that way. They see utah, byu and tcu as good teams in a bad conference, unlv as a fluke. Even highly ranked, they are not seen as "really good", really good enough to play for the NC.
Beating Mississippi St by 21 is a lot different than beating wyoming by 21. It just is. And voters know it. Playing relatively bad teams week in and week out is not going to fool anyone.

And no, I didn't think utah should have played for the NC in 05. I don't think they were the 2nd best team in the nation. And neither did anyone else.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:03 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
You're overstating the bias. The human voters have the ability to determine the final standings. That's what we saw happen last year.

If the SEC teams have two losses and BYU is undefeated with wins over two Pac-10 teams and Utah, BYU will make the championship game.
at the very least, it will create the biggest controversy in BCS history.

I think Utah's experience would also favor BYU. That is, with UM and Alex Smith.

However, I think that all the forces in the world would align against BYU and prevent it if at all possible.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:04 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The rest of the country doesn't see it that way. They see utah, byu and tcu as good teams in a bad conference, unlv as a fluke. Even highly ranked, they are not seen as "really good", really good enough to play for the NC.
Beating Mississippi St by 21 is a lot different than beating wyoming by 21. It just is. And voters know it. Playing relatively bad teams week in and week out is not going to fool anyone.

And no, I didn't think utah should have played for the NC in 05. I don't think they were the 2nd best team in the nation. And neither did anyone else.
STFU Brian. Take your sh** back to where you came from.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:06 PM   #17
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

Ok, maybe it's 6 decimal places.

You live outside the bubble, you know how the mwc is perceived. Two wins over two apparently poor Pac-10 teams and running the table in a mediocre conference is not going to fool anyone.

And there is fixing to do, nobody is going to forget the penalty on UW.

Last edited by Brian; 09-14-2008 at 10:11 PM.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:06 PM   #18
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
However, I think that all the forces in the world would align against BYU and prevent it if at all possible.
No way. I mean, I understand a little persecution complex is justified, but you guys are taking this way too far.

Either way, just win. It'll take care of itself if you just keep winning.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:22 PM   #19
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
No way. I mean, I understand a little persecution complex is justified, but you guys are taking this way too far.

Either way, just win. It'll take care of itself if you just keep winning.
We MWC folks aren't taking it too far. Remember, the BCS exists in part because of BYU's 1984 season. The big boys hated that somebody else won it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:24 PM   #20
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
at the very least, it will create the biggest controversy in BCS history.

I think Utah's experience would also favor BYU. That is, with UM and Alex Smith.

Why would an undefeated BYU being left out of the championship game create a bigger controversy than an undefeated Auburn being left out? Nobody is going to get up in arms about a non-BCS team getting the shaft.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote