cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2008, 12:17 AM   #31
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
yes you are. I said, if you guys are undefeated and there's no undefeated or one-loss SEC team, you're in the title game. The jokers around here are saying everybody else would have to have four losses. That's absurd. I'm not denying the bias. I'm saying you're overstating it.

A lot has changed since Utah got shafted. Boise State made a statement for the little guys. People want to see the underdog get a chance.

But if you guys want to be taken seriously, you'd better start acting like you deserve to be taken seriously. You're not Sam Houston State - you're BYU. You've got a Heisman trophy winner and a friggin national title. Act like it.
I'm not exactly afraid of what will happen but I'm not certain I really want BYU playing USC in the NC game. None of the other teams really impress me besides maybe OU and Florida.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:38 AM   #32
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

BYU's season ends on November 22. Suppose they are ranked #2 at that point. Will they keep that position on November 29 and December 6 when there are games such as the Big 12 Championship featuring Oklahoma/Texas vs. Missouri, and the SEC Championship featuring Florida/Georgia vs. Auburn, etc.?

"Although #3 Florida just defeated #5 Georgia to move to 12-1, I remain more impressed with BYU's last second win over #9 Utah two weeks ago, and additionally their crushing of unranked UCLA back in September stands out in my mind over Oklahoma's recent wins against Texas, Nebraska, Kansas and Missouri...."
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:42 AM   #33
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
BYU's season ends on November 22. Suppose they are ranked #2 at that point. Will they keep that position on November 29 and December 6 when there are games such as the Big 12 Championship featuring Oklahoma/Texas vs. Missouri, and the SEC Championship featuring Florida/Georgia vs. Auburn, etc.?

"Although #3 Florida just defeated #5 Georgia to move to 12-1, I remain more impressed with BYU's last second win over #9 Utah two weeks ago, and additionally their crushing of unranked UCLA back in September stands out in my mind over Oklahoma's recent wins against Texas, Nebraska, Kansas and Missouri...."
That's an excellent point that BYU didn't face in 1984.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:50 AM   #34
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
"Although #3 Florida just defeated #5 Georgia to move to 12-1"
if an SEC team makes it with 1-loss you're SOL.

But conference championship games could actually help you because they're likely to result in an upset. That's why conferences like B12 and SEC get so pissy about the setup of the Pac-10 and B10.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:16 AM   #35
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:

BYU has gone undefeated, what?...once?

And now everyone is lamenting that we will get screwed in January, wondering who we should play for a championship, etc, all because we are 3-0.....LOL.

We are truly small time when a 3-0 start gets everyone this crazy with excitement.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:18 AM   #36
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

USC dropped from 2nd to 3rd in the final regular season BCS standings of 2003 when LSU won the SEC Championship game and inched above them in percentage points. Same with Florida over Michigan in 2006, and LSU over Georgia last year. Why should anybody think BYU would be safe at #2 or even at #1 on November 22?

On a similar note, last year Missouri was ranked #1 going into the final weekend of the season, lost to #9 Oklahoma in the Big 12 title game, fell to #7 and was shut out of the 10-spot BCS altogether because frankly, none of the bowls wanted them.

On another similar note, Texas got the Rose Bowl invite over Cal in 2004 largely due to campaigning by Mack Brown.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:19 AM   #37
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
USC dropped from 2nd to 3rd in the final regular season BCS standings of 2003 when LSU won the SEC Championship game and inched above them in percentage points. Same with Florida over Michigan in 2006, and LSU over Georgia last year. Why should anybody think BYU would be safe at #2 or even at #1?

On a similar note, last year Missouri was ranked #1 going into the final weekend of the season (Championship Saturday), lost to #9 Oklahoma in the Big 12 title game, fell to #7 and was shut out of the 10-spot BCS altogether because frankly, none of the bowls wanted them.

On another similar note, Texas got the Rose Bowl invite over Cal in 2004 primarily due to campaigning by Mack Brown.
If any of those coaches had the direct backing of God, let me know.

I think our coach is a little bit different than those.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:20 AM   #38
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

LOL. Wow you really have drunk the kool-aid. Welcome aboard!
Old 09-15-2008, 01:22 AM   #39
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:

I don't know what you have been eating/drinking lately, but you are averaging a really funny zinger about once a day now.

I am considering stealing some of your material.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:26 AM   #40
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

Quote:

I can see it now: as 100 sportswriters mull over their final ballots on December 5, through their coffee, caffeine and nicotene polluted minds (the horror! Such unclean vessels!) they keep feeling impressed with BYU and one by one, rank them either #1 or #2.... and as a result of this blessing, many true and faithful scriptoral literalists decide that maybe an unclean mortal CAN indeed receive inspiration from the scorekeeping, unwavering spirit after all, so long as that inspiration is designed to benefit the clean and able elders of Israel....