cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2008, 07:07 PM   #21
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Amazing what a 3-0 start will do the otherwise rational people.

What has been the biggest quality win in the MWC this season? This Saturday was a great day for the MWC, but weren't all the wins against traditionally bad teams?

Has anyone in the MWC beaten a ranked team yet this season? I honestly don't know that answer to that one.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:09 PM   #22
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post

What has been the biggest quality win in the MWC this season? This Saturday was a great day for the MWC, but weren't all the wins against traditionally bad teams?

Has anyone in the MWC beaten a ranked team yet this season? I honestly don't know that answer to that one.
Umm - Arizona State was ranked when UNLV (doormat of the MWC) beat them on Saturday.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:09 PM   #23
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Since your memory appears to suck, I'd like to point out the OU team that lost to TCU wasn't particularly good that year.

They finished 8-4 with a 45-12 loss to Texas and 41-24 loss to UCLA in addition to the loss to TCU and also a loss to Texas Tech. Their QB was a converted WR.
Teams that OU has lost to:

2007: Texas Tech, Colorado, West Virginia
2006: Oregon, Texas, Boise State
2005: TCU, UCLA, Texas, Texas Tech
2004: USC
2003: KSU, LSU

Is this a trend line that indicates to you that BYU can't beat OU?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:10 PM   #24
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

UNLV beat number 13 Arizona State on the road. I would say that is a big win. The perennial bottom feeder in the MWC beat the 2nd best team in the Pac-10.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:13 PM   #25
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
UNLV beat number 13 Arizona State on the road. I would say that is a big win. The perennial bottom feeder in the MWC beat the 2nd best team in the Pac-10.
I said I didnt know, so thanks for clueing me in. That really is a good win.

The rest of our wins were against unranked teams, several of which will likely have terrible seasons.

I guess my question is why everyone seems punch drunk on blue kool aid right now. We havent beaten a single good team yet. This has Hawaii written all over it.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:17 PM   #26
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

The rest of our wins were against unranked teams, several of which will likely have terrible seasons.

I guess my question is why everyone seems punch drunk on blue kool aid right now. We havent beaten a single good team yet. This has Hawaii written all over it.
Hawaii was smallish and relied upon speed until it met Georgia a bigger and faster team.

BYU does not now nor will ever rely upon size, but relies upon execution, power and toughness. In the right game, BYU will be Boise State, not Hawaii.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:21 PM   #27
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Its hard to say this early in the season if they are bad teams or not. UCLA was ranked 24th before their bye last week after beating a ranked Tennessee team, now that we blow them out they immediately become "not very good". The whole pregame before we played Washington your boy Petros was talking about how Washington was a lot more talented than BYU and how they would just have to many athletes and to much speed for BYU, we beat them and they got screwed and are not a very good team.

Who knows how the season will shake out but I have been hearing for 10 years how BCS teams are more talented, bigger, stronger and faster than non-BCS teams and how the best team in the MWC would be at the bottom of the Pac-10. It seems now that the tide is turning a little.

Also you say the MWC didnt beat any good Pac-10 teams, they are now 5-0 vs the Pac-10 who are the good Pac-10 teams then? USC and then who? Oregon struggled with a bad Purdue team, Cal lost to Maryland who barely beat Deleware (14-7) and lost to Middle Tennessee state. Arizona state lost to UNLV at home, UCLA was blasted by BYU. Stanford was blasted by TCU. New Mexico beat Arizona.

So either the Pac-10 is awful this year (if that is the case and USC runs the table they dont deserve to be in the NC game) or the MWC is a lot better.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:21 PM   #28
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
This is a BYU board and we're having some fun on the Monday after a nice win. The emotion will wear off and we'll become a little more rational.
In the meantime, quit being a wet blanket, especially after your weekend of dreaming about USC yell leaders. D!sgusting
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:22 PM   #29
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree. With USC's schedule it's hard to see how they are worthy of the NC game if undefeated.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:22 PM   #30
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
If I were a FS and saw Unga coming at me, I would crap my pants. I would whiff at his ankles and let him go.
Come on Waters show some originality. That idea was patented and perfected by Steve Tate and borrowed on occassion by one ROJO!

WHO LET THE DAWGS OUT...WHO..WHOWHO..WHO..WHOWHO!