cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2008, 07:23 PM   #31
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Teams that OU has lost to:

2007: Texas Tech, Colorado, West Virginia
2006: Oregon, Texas, Boise State
2005: TCU, UCLA, Texas, Texas Tech
2004: USC
2003: KSU, LSU

Is this a trend line that indicates to you that BYU can't beat OU?
Hey Einstein, we're not talking the 2003 through 2007 incarnations of OU.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:28 PM   #32
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I said I didnt know, so thanks for clueing me in. That really is a good win.

The rest of our wins were against unranked teams, several of which will likely have terrible seasons.

I guess my question is why everyone seems punch drunk on blue kool aid right now. We havent beaten a single good team yet. This has Hawaii written all over it.
I agree with you in principle, but I believe you can watch BYU and make qualitative judgements as to where they would stack up. Clearly USC would take them out to the woodshed, but SC would take every NCAA team a few NFL teams to the woodshed. I think the next tier of teams of UGA, Florida, Oklahoma and perhaps a few others would decisively beat BYU by 10-17 points, but I think unless BYU has a game similar to Washington where the opponent gets all the bounces/breaks the Cougars would compete until the 4th quarter. Also I wouldn't throw the chances for an upset completely out. After that tier I think BYU could compete with anybody. That probably puts BYU somewhere between 10-15, about where they are ranked.

I watched Hawaii play last year and knew that they really were not good enough to compete with the better teams, this BYU team is better than last year's Hawaii team. In football one can compensate for a lack of athleticism to some extent by physicality. BYU has that ability.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:31 PM   #33
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I agree with you in principle, but I believe you can watch BYU and make qualitative judgements as to where they would stack up. Clearly USC would take them out to the woodshed, but SC would take every NCAA team a few NFL teams to the woodshed. I think the next tier of teams of UGA, Florida, Oklahoma and perhaps a few others would decisively beat BYU by 10-17 points, but I think unless BYU has a game similar to Washington where the opponent gets all the bounces/breaks the Cougars would compete until the 4th quarter. Also I wouldn't throw the chances for an upset completely out. After that tier I think BYU could compete with anybody. That probably puts BYU somewhere between 10-15, about where they are ranked.

I watched Hawaii play last year and knew that they really were not good enough to compete with the better teams, this BYU team is better than last year's Hawaii team. In football one can compensate for a lack of athleticism to some extent by physicality. BYU has that ability.
boy are you an unbelieving pussy.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:33 PM   #34
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
boy are you an unbelieving pussy.
Where were you on the belief scale after the UNI game?

I am bubblegum and you are glue, roundeye!
Old 09-15-2008, 07:40 PM   #35
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Where were you on the belief scale after the UNI game?

I am bubblegum and you are glue, roundeye!
I thought it was rubber and glue? You guys are backwards up there.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:44 PM   #36
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I'd say we have top 10 in the nation talent at:

QB
RB
OL (top 5)
TE (top 5)

Maybe top 20 at WR with Collie.

We are a legit top 5 offense, maybe higher.
If either tooblue or Mormon Red Death see their big brother, two utes, let him know I still remember his angst and utter disbelief at my humble prediction, made in August 2007, that if Max Hall develops into a quality NCAA qb the BYU offense in 2008 could possibly be its best ever. I believe I was accused of being a kool aid drinker. Humph!

Those who follow BYU should have seen this one developing in 2006 with the ability of 3 starting sophmore OL in Dallas Reynolds, Travis Bright and Ray Feinga. Remembering how good Collie was in 2004 and knowing what he could be able to do once the mission rust was knocked off and he and the qb developed some timing/chemistry. The one surprise was Unga....uh kind of a nice surprise wouldn't we all say?
Old 09-15-2008, 07:44 PM   #37
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I thought it was rubber and glue? You guys are backwards up there.
But we taste oh so good!
Old 09-15-2008, 07:54 PM   #38
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
But we taste oh so good!
The day when Goat became the cynic and Mike the optimist on BYU football is a day I never thought I'd live to see.

Armageddon is upon us, ladies and gents.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:00 PM   #39
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
The day when Goat became the cynic and Mike the optimist on BYU football is a day I never thought I'd live to see.

Armageddon is upon us, ladies and gents.
I am not a cynic, I am in utter love with this team. It is a great BYU team. It might finish the year as a legit top 10 club. For a Parochial school of a strange religion located in flyover intermountain west country that didn't give those of African descent full participation privileges until one generation ago it is a small miracle that we can be this consistently good. However, at the end of the day there is a limit when you face players that are better athletes across the board and have the beef and strength to man up to your physical play in the trenches. I think this coaching staff has BYU about as good as we can get and this might be one of those special years we remember the rest of our lives, but at the end of the day as good as they are their athletes are still not as good as USC's or UGA's or Florida's.

I had that opinion in August and did not waiver after UNI. I got mildly concerned after Washington, although I was very impressed with the block to win it, but held in the back of my mind that if all the offensive pieces come together at the same time and the breaks go BYU's way this can be a damn good football team.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:03 PM   #40
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

It's amazing how not believing BYU should be expected to beat a #2 team makes one a cynic.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote