cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2008, 08:08 PM   #41
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
It's amazing how not believing BYU should be expected to beat a #2 team makes one a cynic.
Now you know what it feels like.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:18 PM   #42
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Now you know what it feels like.
LOL. Someday perhaps you'll understand that not being a wrist slasher is not the same thing as being a blue-goggled optimist.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:32 PM   #43
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I am not a cynic, I am in utter love with this team. It is a great BYU team. It might finish the year as a legit top 10 club. For a Parochial school of a strange religion located in flyover intermountain west country that didn't give those of African descent full participation privileges until one generation ago it is a small miracle that we can be this consistently good. However, at the end of the day there is a limit when you face players that are better athletes across the board and have the beef and strength to man up to your physical play in the trenches. I think this coaching staff has BYU about as good as we can get and this might be one of those special years we remember the rest of our lives, but at the end of the day as good as they are their athletes are still not as good as USC's or UGA's or Florida's.

I had that opinion in August and did not waiver after UNI. I got mildly concerned after Washington, although I was very impressed with the block to win it, but held in the back of my mind that if all the offensive pieces come together at the same time and the breaks go BYU's way this can be a damn good football team.
This is basically where I am. Very special BYU team that has a lot of potential to do well this season. Not on par with the nation's elite.

I would be more prone to believe if we would actually play someone really good and do well.

Maybe I will feel better once we start hitting the road this season and winning convincingly.

I said before, I am going to enjoy this season one game at a time. Go Cougars, Beat The Pokes!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:34 PM   #44
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
LOL. Someday perhaps you'll understand that not being a wrist slasher is not the same thing as being a blue-goggled optimist.
2002-2004 was bad enough to slit your wrists.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:38 PM   #45
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Its hard to say this early in the season if they are bad teams or not. UCLA was ranked 24th before their bye last week after beating a ranked Tennessee team, now that we blow them out they immediately become "not very good". The whole pregame before we played Washington your boy Petros was talking about how Washington was a lot more talented than BYU and how they would just have to many athletes and to much speed for BYU, we beat them and they got screwed and are not a very good team.

Who knows how the season will shake out but I have been hearing for 10 years how BCS teams are more talented, bigger, stronger and faster than non-BCS teams and how the best team in the MWC would be at the bottom of the Pac-10. It seems now that the tide is turning a little.

Also you say the MWC didnt beat any good Pac-10 teams, they are now 5-0 vs the Pac-10 who are the good Pac-10 teams then? USC and then who? Oregon struggled with a bad Purdue team, Cal lost to Maryland who barely beat Deleware (14-7) and lost to Middle Tennessee state. Arizona state lost to UNLV at home, UCLA was blasted by BYU. Stanford was blasted by TCU. New Mexico beat Arizona.

So either the Pac-10 is awful this year (if that is the case and USC runs the table they dont deserve to be in the NC game) or the MWC is a lot better.
First, the pac thus far does look weaker than in years past.

The MWC looks nicer, but that doesnt make it "good." It speaks more to the level of disparity....before, we werent even close as a conference. This year, as you pointed out, the gap has closed.

As for SC, you know too much about football to make such a silly argument. This is why all but 3 or 4 coaches voted SC #1....they have more talent than anyone in the country, by a wide margin. Their conference affiliation is irrelevant. Nobody worried about the Pats' 3 superbowl championships coming out of a division with the Jets and the Dolphins (yikes!).

My biggest concern with BYu is the defense. We are inconsistent. We were downright lousy against UW, then we play lights out against UCLA. Our offense has been fairly consistent in all 3 games. So which D is showing up this Saturday?

My main point is not to say that BYU is not good or having a great season thus far. I think they are doing very well and are poised for greatness. I just don't get all the BCS talk right now after 3 games, all against mediocre to poor teams. How laughable. The last time BYU fans got carried away with the BCS, we lost focus and ended the season with 2 straight losses....nice statement for a team that felt it deserved better.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 09-15-2008, 08:40 PM   #46
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
My main point is not to say that BYU is not good or having a great season thus far. I think they are doing very well and are poised for greatness. I just don't get all the BCS talk right now after 3 games, all against mediocre to poor teams. How laughable. The last time BYU fans got carried away with the BCS, we lost focus and ended the season with 2 straight losses....nice statement for a team that felt it deserved better.
The talk is due to a reasonable assessment of BYU's ability versus their remaining schedule. BYU didn't lose focus at the end of 2001, they lost Staley.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:42 PM   #47
TripletDaddy

Quote:
The talk is due to a reasonable assessment of BYU's ability versus their remaining schedule. BYU didn't lose focus at the end of 2001, they lost Staley.
Sorry, poorly worded. Let me clarify.

I understand your point, and i would agree....their schedule looks favorable to make a BCS run.

I meant all the talk about BYU being as good as the big boys. I don't get that.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:43 PM   #48
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
First, the pac thus far does look weaker than in years past.

The MWC looks nicer, but that doesnt make it "good." It speaks more to the level of disparity....before, we werent even close as a conference. This year, as you pointed out, the gap has closed.

As for SC, you know too much about football to make such a silly argument. This is why all but 3 or 4 coaches voted SC #1....they have more talent than anyone in the country, by a wide margin. Their conference affiliation is irrelevant. Nobody worried about the Pats' 3 superbowl championships coming out of a division with the Jets and the Dolphins (yikes!).

My biggest concern with BYu is the defense. We are inconsistent. We were downright lousy against UW, then we play lights out against UCLA. Our offense has been fairly consistent in all 3 games. So which D is showing up this Saturday?

I personally believe that SC is the best team in the country. But I am telling you right now that if the Pac-10 continues to have a "down" year. The SEC and Big 12 will be putting teams in the National championship game if they are undefeated. If Oklahoma and Florida get through their schedules unbeaten they will both play in the NC over USC.

Regarding BYU, the BCS talk has to do with the media creating a BCS buster every season. People love to cheer for the underdog. BYU fans have embraced this role and they are running with it. I have no problem with it because after starting 3 straight years 1-2 its nice to be 3-0 and still have those aspirations as a possibility.

Also I still believe if Washington or UCLA were to play a MWC schedule they would finish no worse than 4th or 5th in the conference. Which means in my opinion we should not be tested until TCU and then Utah.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:49 PM   #49
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I personally believe that SC is the best team in the country. But I am telling you right now that if the Pac-10 continues to have a "down" year. The SEC and Big 12 will be putting teams in the National championship game if they are undefeated. If Oklahoma and Florida get through their schedules unbeaten they will both play in the NC over USC.

Regarding BYU, the BCS talk has to do with the media creating a BCS buster every season. People love to cheer for the underdog. BYU fans have embraced this role and they are running with it. I have no problem with it because after starting 3 straight years 1-2 its nice to be 3-0 and still have those aspirations as a possibility.

Also I still believe if Washington or UCLA were to play a MWC schedule they would finish no worse than 4th or 5th in the conference. Which means in my opinion we should not be tested until TCU and then Utah.
I agree that it is fun. Maybe I should read the posts in that vein....mostly for fun, as opposed to people seriously thinking we could beat Georgia based on the fact that we beat UW by 1 point.

If SC wins out, I don't see how would they not make the NC game. They are #1 by a wide margin in the polls. I don't think anyone cares how awful Washington State is when assessing SC as the top team in the country.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:50 PM   #50
Indy Coug

Quote:
I agree that it is fun. Maybe I should read the posts in that vein....mostly for fun, as opposed to people seriously thinking we could beat Georgia based on the fact that we beat UW by 1 point.

If SC wins out, I don't see how would they not make the NC game. They are #1 by a wide margin in the polls. I don't think anyone cares how awful Washington State is when assessing SC as the top team in the country.
I'm curious why beating UW on the road by one point gets more weight than beating UCLA at home by 59?