cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2008, 08:54 PM   #51
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I agree that it is fun. Maybe I should read the posts in that vein....mostly for fun, as opposed to people seriously thinking we could beat Georgia based on the fact that we beat UW by 1 point.

If SC wins out, I don't see how would they not make the NC game. They are #1 by a wide margin in the polls. I don't think anyone cares how awful Washington State is when assessing SC as the top team in the country.
I think that SC should play in the NC if they win out and I see them cruising through their schedule. However the past 3 years they have losses to Stanford, UCLA and Oregon State. So they have been prone to slip up at times. But I dont think the teams they have had the last 3 years are anything close to what they have now. JDB is not as good as Sanchez.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:54 PM   #52
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I'm curious why beating UW on the road by one point gets more weight than beating UCLA at home by 59?
I never said it does.

I actually think the effort against UCLA is far more impressive. Hanging a zero on someone is pretty nice.

Again, our offense has already proven that it can score. Our D had really yet to prove itself. It gave up 17 to NIU, no? If we have one or two more games wherein the D plays well, then I could see the real excitement.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:58 PM   #53
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I never said it does.

I actually think the effort against UCLA is far more impressive. Hanging a zero on someone is pretty nice.

Again, our offense has already proven that it can score. Our D had really yet to prove itself. It gave up 17 to NIU, no? If we have one or two more games wherein the D plays well, then I could see the real excitement.
The defense gave up 10 to UNI.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:59 PM   #54
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Has anyone in the MWC beaten a ranked team yet this season? I honestly don't know that answer to that one.
Utah State wasn't ranked when Utah beat them, but you do have to realize that they played UNLV close and UNLV beat Arizona State, so I think it is safe to say that UNLV should be a top 30 team and because USU played it close, they are probably around #40. So, yes, the MoWest has been some quality competition thanks to UNLV and Utah.

Things could have turned out different for BYU as well. You take away 6 of those UCLA turnovers as well if Hall, Collie and Unga had an off day and who knows what would have happened.

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:59 PM   #55
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I think that SC should play in the NC if they win out and I see them cruising through their schedule. However the past 3 years they have losses to Stanford, UCLA and Oregon State. So they have been prone to slip up at times. But I dont think the teams they have had the last 3 years are anything close to what they have now. JDB is not as good as Sanchez.
This is my whole point! SC has had 2 losses at home in the past 6 or so years....both to Stanford. Those losses cost them a shot at the NC game. Nothing is a given this year, either. The teams that BYu beat (and that evidence our alleged "greatness")...UW and UCLA......well, SC still has to play them. Judging from many BYU fans, I guess beating UW and UCLA is now the benchmark for NC readiness?

Given that anything can happen, I am really surprised that BYU fans here are thinking about the Sugar Bowl. most teams wind up losing a game during the season, even when they have it working on both sides of the ball. We are 3-0, not 8-0. Let's win a few more games and see what this defense really can do.

I can see how the coach has a really unique role in keeping players grounded. Surely there are players on every team that keep looking ahead and losing focus on the game on Saturday.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:01 PM   #56
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
The defense gave up 10 to UNI.
Not to quibble too much, but I would argue the defense actually gave up three. Weren't both off of turnovers, or am I mistaken?
Old 09-15-2008, 09:07 PM   #57
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
This is my whole point! SC has had 2 losses at home in the past 6 or so years....both to Stanford. Those losses cost them a shot at the NC game. Nothing is a given this year, either. The teams that BYu beat (and that evidence our alleged "greatness")...UW and UCLA......well, SC still has to play them. Judging from many BYU fans, I guess beating UW and UCLA is now the benchmark for NC readiness?

Given that anything can happen, I am really surprised that BYU fans here are thinking about the Sugar Bowl. most teams wind up losing a game during the season, even when they have it working on both sides of the ball. We are 3-0, not 8-0. Let's win a few more games and see what this defense really can do.

I can see how the coach has a really unique role in keeping players grounded. Surely there are players on every team that keep looking ahead and losing focus on the game on Saturday.
I see what you are saying by why compare SC losing 4 conference games the past 2 years to BYU. BYU is undefeated in conference two years in a row and that was after losing early games to BCS teams. This team on paper is better than the last 2 teams at BYU and they won the early BCS games, so why would you expect BYU fans not to anticipate running the table in conference again?
Old 09-15-2008, 09:17 PM   #58
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Sorry, poorly worded. Let me clarify.

I understand your point, and i would agree....their schedule looks favorable to make a BCS run.

I meant all the talk about BYU being as good as the big boys. I don't get that.
I have watched an unhealthy amount of football this year and there are only 2 teams that I have seen that I think BYU would not have a good chance at beating. USC and Oklahoma...yes I have seen LSU and Florida.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:20 PM   #59
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I agree that it is fun. Maybe I should read the posts in that vein....mostly for fun, as opposed to people seriously thinking we could beat Georgia based on the fact that we beat UW by 1 point.

If SC wins out, I don't see how would they not make the NC game. They are #1 by a wide margin in the polls. I don't think anyone cares how awful Washington State is when assessing SC as the top team in the country.
Have you seen Georgia play? I have, and they have not looked all that impressive thus far.

Last edited by Flystripper; 09-15-2008 at 09:22 PM.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote