cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2008, 10:08 PM   #81
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
But you said the reason people are offended at Brocco's statements is that we claim God "has a hand in BYU winning games". Still waiting for the example of this one...

Correct me if I'm wrong--I'm just reading your post:

"I had a seminary teacher who said that the 84 season was part of the latter day work.
God directs the latter day work.

Quote:
He also said that the football program was a second set of missionaries.
God directs the missionary work in the LDS church.

Quote:
A kid down the street questioned my faith on numerous times because I wanted byu to lose on saturdays. Now we were both 10-13 during this time and I guess he could have thought this up on his own, but I'm guessing his mullah parents had something to do with it. Actually, I found out this guy died a few years ago and left 3 kids. Sad.
(And for the record, I could have kicked his ass if I had wanted to. He was a wiry twerp).
byu = god's university.
I'll admit I wasn't clear on this point. His questioning was along the lines of how could I not root for god's team?

Quote:
A guy in the ward saying that god really did want them to beat ucla in the bowl game.
**god** really did want them to beat ucla in the bowl game.

Quote:
My mother-in-law and sister-in-law (who are zoobs) were seriously shocked that a member in good standing could not want "the church to win on saturday". They chilled after I'd been around enough and they realized that I could be an ok fellow and still loathe the y."
byu == church. god controls church, god controls byu.
ditto on the clarity.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:11 PM   #82
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
i'm not going to take the bait.

for what it's worth, i know plenty of cougs who love for the U to lose and take great pride in those losses.

There are others on the board who claim to not care about anything outside of Y football - i.e. they don't care whether Utah loses or wins. This may be, but I have a hard time believing that a Y fan, who gets how the system works (i.e. BCS conferences and BCS bowls, and money money money) don't want the Utes to win. I actually cheered for the Y to beat Washington and UCLA because I want our conference to get to another level. It is clear that the U and the Y are never going to be invited to join the PAC 10 or as some believe, the Big 12 for BYU... It isn't that i root for BYU to win, i just am glad that they won and am impressed by their team. At the same time, it doesn't pain me at all when they lose like they did to Tulsa last year. i would rather that they don't, thought, because the big bowl money on a regular basis only helps the Utes, even if the Cougs or TCU are the ones going to the BCS bowl.

It is a conference thing for me, not a rivalry thing, and certainly not a church thing.
It's never been a church thing for me either. if utah's rival was csu, i'd care as much about byu as I do about SDSU.
Somebody has to take last place in the conference, I'd just prefer it be byu.
I'd rather utah and tcu be the torch bearers of the conference.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:23 PM   #83
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
It's never been a church thing for me either. if utah's rival was csu, i'd care as much about byu as I do about SDSU.
Somebody has to take last place in the conference, I'd just prefer it be byu.
I'd rather utah and tcu be the torch bearers of the conference.
Maybe for the good of your testimony you should go ahead and make CSU your rival. Then you could get on board with the BYU athletics missionary program.

Just a thought.

Remember, position mastery is the key.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:26 PM   #84
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Maybe for the good of your testimony you should go ahead and make CSU your rival. Then you could get on board with the BYU athletics missionary program.

Just a thought.

Remember, position mastery is the key.
i'll fast about it this sunday.

thanks for the idea.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:25 PM   #85
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Re: Collie. I grew up in Utah, I've met a lot of people who believe what Collie said. I guess I've met enough assholes to think that he believed what he said. But, I don't know him, so I'm not sure. But, if I were a betting man.....

I had a seminary teacher who said that the 84 season was part of the latter day work.

He also said that the football program was a second set of missionaries.

A kid down the street questioned my faith on numerous times because I wanted byu to lose on saturdays. Now we were both 10-13 during this time and I guess he could have thought this up on his own, but I'm guessing his mullah parents had something to do with it. Actually, I found out this guy died a few years ago and left 3 kids. Sad.
(And for the record, I could have kicked his ass if I had wanted to. He was a wiry twerp).

A guy in the ward saying that god really did want them to beat ucla in the bowl game.

My mother-in-law and sister-in-law (who are zoobs) were seriously shocked that a member in good standing could not want "the church to win on saturday". They chilled after I'd been around enough and they realized that I could be an ok fellow and still loathe the y.

I'll likely think of others while driving home.
If you don't think there are a lot of people that really believe what collie said, you aren't paying attention, or you haven't lived in mormon-land.

It's similar to all the Mitt will help usher in the 2nd coming in the recent primary frenzy.
Replace Mitt w/ Lavell/Gary/Bronco. It's the same idiotic attitude.
I bet they're the same people who believe one of the Three Nephites helped them change a tire.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:43 PM   #86
myboynoah

Quote:
i'll fast about it this sunday.

thanks for the idea.
I'll fast with you. I'm starting at 7:00 pm central (in about 15 minutes) if you want to synchonize our fasts - I hear it works better that way.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:51 PM   #87
myboynoah

Listening to the post game show and Bronco giving lots of credit to Coach Glen. I hope Wyoming keeps Glen around for years to come. I like him.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:40 AM   #88
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Listening to the post game show and Bronco giving lots of credit to Coach Glen. I hope Wyoming keeps Glen around for years to come. I like him.
For those who missed it, what credit was he giving Glenn? Hard for me to imagine what kind of credit he deserves in that game.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:51 PM   #89
T Blue

T Blue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
For those who missed it, what credit was he giving Glenn? Hard for me to imagine what kind of credit he deserves in that game.
I'm sure it had something to do with the fact that Wyoming still fields a CFB team, and how Glenn is still managing to hold a coaching job with the teams he fields each season. LOL

I wonder if Glenn is going to hold Whitt accountable for last season?
T Blue is offline   Reply With Quote