cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2008, 12:49 AM   #21
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
I still disagree. Oklahoma has proved you don't even have to win your conference to play for an NC. We can still get into a BCS bowl with 1 even 2 losses. No chance of that ever happening in a mid-major.
Bingo, and the consolation prizes in those conferences is better than our conferences grand prize. This is a no brainer.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:57 AM   #22
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
You really think we'd have a better chance at 1st or 2nd in the Big XII than going undefeated this year?
I think you're changing the question. The question is whether, in general, you have a better chance at getting to the BCS where you are now or if you were in a BCS conference (the classification of the conferences is a hint, btw). I'm gonna say you'd be better off in an, ahem, BCS conference. Just look at the Big 12: 7/12s of the conference has played in a BCS game. And beyond just the BCS games, Coach is right. For the top half of the Big 12, the Holiday Bowl is a let down. BYU would (if I understand Sooner correctly) be thrilled to play the Holiday Bowl.

Now if you want to look at just this year specifically, I'd say you'd be better off in the Pac-10 or the Big 10, where you could lose a game (not unlikely -- everybody has an off day) and still go to the Rose Bowl. Big 12 may be tough this year, hard to say. And I wouldn't wish the SEC regular season on anybody.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:05 AM   #23
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I think you're changing the question. The question is whether, in general, you have a better chance at getting to the BCS where you are now or if you were in a BCS conference (the classification of the conferences is a hint, btw). I'm gonna say you'd be better off in an, ahem, BCS conference. Just look at the Big 12: 7/12s of the conference has played in a BCS game. And beyond just the BCS games, Coach is right. For the top half of the Big 12, the Holiday Bowl is a let down. BYU would (if I understand Sooner correctly) be thrilled to play the Holiday Bowl.

Now if you want to look at just this year specifically, I'd say you'd be better off in the Pac-10 or the Big 10, where you could lose a game (not unlikely -- everybody has an off day) and still go to the Rose Bowl. Big 12 may be tough this year, hard to say. And I wouldn't wish the SEC regular season on anybody.
This appears to be a down year for the PAC 10, so I'm not sure we'd be regularly in the top 2 there. Big 10's never been a thought for us, or that IS a no-brainer--totally overrated conference (like the Big East/ACC).

Again, everyone listen closely. Our top bowl is weak and our conference games are boring--for those reasons alone, I'd rather be in a BCS conference. I just think the road to a BCS game is easier where we are. Not a lot easier, and I completely respect those who disagree, but just a little easier.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:07 AM   #24
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
This appears to be a down year for the PAC 10, so I'm not sure we'd be regularly in the top 2 there. Big 10's never been a thought for us, or that IS a no-brainer--totally overrated conference (like the Big East/ACC).

Again, everyone listen closely. Our top bowl is weak and our conference games are boring--for those reasons alone, I'd rather be in a BCS conference. I just think the road to a BCS game is easier where we are. Not a lot easier, and I completely respect those who disagree, but just a little easier.
Then why has our conference only done it once?
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:30 AM   #25
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Personally, I agree with Il Pad that it's a no brainer. There are ten spots, nine of which are split between six conferences, and one of which might, in the case of an undefeated non-BCS, be offered to a team from one of the other five conferences.

So in three of the BCS conferences, two teams are guaranteed a spot; in the other three BCS conferences the conference champion is guaranteed a spot; and for the other five conferences, all fifty teams are left competing against each other for a theoretically possible at-large bid.
Sure, there are 50 or so non-BCS teams, but to say that they are all "competing" for the BCS bid isn't even close to accurate. In any given year, you are looking at the MWC champ or the WAC champ, realistically speaking. It is a competition between those two teams. Winning the MWC or the WAC is much easier than finishing 1st or 2nd in a BCS conference. Look at the WAC. Hawaii had the worst rated schedule in 1-A football last year, in part due to their lousy non-conference schedule and in part due to their lousy conference. The MWC is better this year, and this year it is actually better than the Pac 10, ACC and Big East, but that is atypical. BYU has shown it can run the table in the MWC, it has been their non-conference games that have tripped them up. They took care of that business, and suddenly the BCS looks much more likely. There aren't many teams in 1-A that have as easy of a road to the BCS now as BYU has (other than USC).
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:04 AM   #26
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

All those who think it's still easier to get into a BCS game as a member of the MWC are either forgetting that the powers that be don't want our teams there, or are in denial about it.

Remember, non-BCS teams have to jump through all the hoops required and hope that BCS teams falter. It's always easier to get into a BCS game as a member of a BCS conference. A second place finisher in a BCS conference will get the nod over the champion of the MWC, WAC, etc.

I just don't trust the BCS to do the right thing.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:30 PM   #27
Travis Henry

Travis Henry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Sure, there are 50 or so non-BCS teams, but to say that they are all "competing" for the BCS bid isn't even close to accurate. In any given year, you are looking at the MWC champ or the WAC champ, realistically speaking. It is a competition between those two teams. Winning the MWC or the WAC is much easier than finishing 1st or 2nd in a BCS conference. Look at the WAC. Hawaii had the worst rated schedule in 1-A football last year, in part due to their lousy non-conference schedule and in part due to their lousy conference. The MWC is better this year, and this year it is actually better than the Pac 10, ACC and Big East, but that is atypical. BYU has shown it can run the table in the MWC, it has been their non-conference games that have tripped them up. They took care of that business, and suddenly the BCS looks much more likely. There aren't many teams in 1-A that have as easy of a road to the BCS now as BYU has (other than USC).
I agree with this sentiment provided BYU gets to keep the current coaching staff. Obviously if Urban Meyer stayed at Utah, Utah would have very possibly made another appearance in the last three seasons. Even with Meyer gone, Utah now stands in a very good position at a BCS game. They have two losable games left and they're both in Salt Lake.

IMO, BYU and Utah are the class of the non-BCS over the long term. Boise State has the system and coaching staff in place to compete right now, but once Chris Peterson is gone you'd have to wonder about their long term prospects.

BYU can certainly go undefeated this year and they have the horses in place to go undefeated next year. Like Boise State, if BYU keeps the current staff then BYU can be right there every other year. Unlike Boise State, BYU has better recruiting prospects over the long term and hopefully always have some LDS coach that wants to come to BYU.

With the current BCS rules, there's no reason why BYU can't expect to get into the top 12 every three years or so as long as Bronco Mendenhall stays at BYU. I also think that with one BCS bowl appearance and a respectable showing, that BYU can even get into the top 12 with one loss. Hell, last year BYU probably would have been in the top 12 with one loss and probably ahead of Hawaii. The rest of the non-BCS is so incredibly weak that BYU doesn't need to worry about other non-BCS teams leapfrogging them as long as BYU takes care of business- and I'm not talking about going undefeated, a one loss BYU team has a credible shot a lot of years.

With that being said, inclusion into a BCS conference doesn't solve all of BYU's recruiting problems. BYU is still a mormon school, still has the honor code and is still located in Provo. BYU's recruiting prospects certainly improve, but do they improve to the point where BYU could compete for #2 in the Pac-10 consistently with Oregon, Cal, Dennis Erickson as coach at ASU, Neuheisel at UCLA, and with UW after they bring in whomever after Willingham is fired (maybe Kiffin or Jim Mora, Jr.). After Erickson and Neuheisel get established, you'd have to assume that ASU and UCLA will be tough. I think conferences get weak due to coaching instability and the Pac-10 is not in good shape due to the recent changes at ASU and UCLA and UW having a crappy coach right now.

Last edited by Travis Henry; 09-22-2008 at 06:37 PM.
Travis Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:37 PM   #28
Travis Henry

Travis Henry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
All those who think it's still easier to get into a BCS game as a member of the MWC are either forgetting that the powers that be don't want our teams there, or are in denial about it.

Remember, non-BCS teams have to jump through all the hoops required and hope that BCS teams falter. It's always easier to get into a BCS game as a member of a BCS conference. A second place finisher in a BCS conference will get the nod over the champion of the MWC, WAC, etc.

I just don't trust the BCS to do the right thing.
The rules state that a non-BCS team in the top 12 is an automatic qualifier. In addition, if a BCS conference champion is outside the top 16 and a non-BCS team is ahead of them, the non-BCS team has to get a spot. So, BYU or Utah could be 13-16 and conceivably get a spot.

Simply put, it doesn't matter what happens in the other conferences if BYU or Utah goes undefeated- BYU or Utah will get a spot in a BCS game. There's no way that BYU or Utah isn't in the top 12 at the end of the year if either goes undefeated. Even if BYU and Utah both falter, Boise State will quite possibly run the table and be in the top 12 themselves. They play Hawaii and Fresno in Boise- they only have one losable road game and that's Southern Miss.

I would venture to say that a one loss MWC team might still have a shot at a BCS game if it weren't for Boise State being a possible fly in the ointment this year. Just imagine if BYU had only one loss last year, BYU would have very possibly been in the top 12 and possibly ahead of undefeated Hawaii. In summary, since the MWC is the best non-BCS conference and because BYU and Utah are the class of the MWC, Utah and BYU both have pretty good shots at BCS games given the current rules.
Travis Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:17 PM   #29
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Henry View Post
The rules state that a non-BCS team in the top 12 is an automatic qualifier. In addition, if a BCS conference champion is outside the top 16 and a non-BCS team is ahead of them, the non-BCS team has to get a spot. So, BYU or Utah could be 13-16 and conceivably get a spot.

Simply put, it doesn't matter what happens in the other conferences if BYU or Utah goes undefeated- BYU or Utah will get a spot in a BCS game. There's no way that BYU or Utah isn't in the top 12 at the end of the year if either goes undefeated. Even if BYU and Utah both falter, Boise State will quite possibly run the table and be in the top 12 themselves. They play Hawaii and Fresno in Boise- they only have one losable road game and that's Southern Miss.

I would venture to say that a one loss MWC team might still have a shot at a BCS game if it weren't for Boise State being a possible fly in the ointment this year. Just imagine if BYU had only one loss last year, BYU would have very possibly been in the top 12 and possibly ahead of undefeated Hawaii. In summary, since the MWC is the best non-BCS conference and because BYU and Utah are the class of the MWC, Utah and BYU both have pretty good shots at BCS games given the current rules.
So, they changed the rules for qualification?

Well, I still don't trust the BCS to do what's right for college football.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:08 PM   #30
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

I think it's pretty obvious what's easier. Look at how many MWC teams in the last 10 years have gone unbeaten (which is what it takes). ONE.

Compare that to the number of teams in BCS conferences getting into the BCS with a one- or two-loss team.

If you've got a very good, bcs-worthy team (like BYU & Utah both have this year), you've got to like your chances where you have a mulligan or two better than when you have NO room for error at all.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote