cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2008, 05:21 PM   #81
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The reason that the BCS upsets BYU fans so much, is that we are truly the one team among the mid-majors who doesn't belong to them, and ought to be in a BCS conference. based on history, revenues, fan base, attendance, etc.

If BYU left the MWC, the MWC instantly becomes the WAC.

I've long argued that BYU ought to get out of the MWC if it possibly can (can't).
I agree with this.

if BYU were to join the Pac 10 next year, I doubt BlueK would be up in arms about calling Marshall a mid-major team.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:23 PM   #82
TripletDaddy

Quote:
I just gave you negative feedback for doing that.
Your BCS feedback is obviously biased against my mid-major status.

Of all the feedback I have on my profile, the only negative ones are from you and Archaea.

I'm just as good as both of you. I deserve a chance.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 09-26-2008, 05:24 PM   #83
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I agree with this.

if BYU were to join the Pac 10 next year, I doubt BlueK would be up in arms about calling Marshall a mid-major team.
I would still think the BCS is stupid. I mean, seriously, what other league college or pro determines a champion in such an idiotic way? Ask fans of any team, BCS, or not, if the BCS makes any sense and 90% would rather have a playoff.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:26 PM   #84
BlueK

Quote:
And again, i say....who cares what fans think?

Prior to the BCS, what did those Big 12 fans think about their chances vs BYU? Probably the exact same hubris.

Your issue should not be with the BCS. It should be with BYU's basically pretty crappy record against these BCS teams. if we would win the majority of our BCS games, then the reasonable opponents would take note and not view us that way (again assuming that you care what other fans think).

if we won most of our BCS games, what choice would the media have but to write about the fact that we win most of our games?
crappy is .500 the last 10 years. Most BCS teams aren't going to be that much different. I bet you thought our record was more like 6-20 than 13-13. And no, they would not take note.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:28 PM   #85
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
How do we really know if any team is good, when none of these supposedly good teams in the Big 12 and SEC every play anyone in non-conf?

exactly
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:28 PM   #86
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
I would still think the BCS is stupid. I mean, seriously, what other league college or pro determines a champion in such an idiotic way? Ask fans of any team, BCS, or not, if the BCS makes any sense and 90% would rather have a playoff.
The BCS being stupid is not at issue. I agree that it is stupid and would rather have a playoff.

Regardless of the scenario, it doesnt change the fact that these mid-major conferences will never be looked at as being on equal ground with the majors/BCS/whatever you want to call them.

if we went to a playoff format, you think all of a sudden Big 12 fans are going to say, "whoa....the MWC conference....they are as good as we are! Look at their recruits, their conference schedule, etc!"

Old 09-26-2008, 05:48 PM   #87
BlueK

Quote:
The BCS being stupid is not at issue. I agree that it is stupid and would rather have a playoff.

Regardless of the scenario, it doesnt change the fact that these mid-major conferences will never be looked at as being on equal ground with the majors/BCS/whatever you want to call them.

if we went to a playoff format, you think all of a sudden Big 12 fans are going to say, "whoa....the MWC conference....they are as good as we are! Look at their recruits, their conference schedule, etc!"
"those mid major conferences" are dragging down the MWC in your eyes and in the eyes of most media and fans. That is keeping us out of the BCS in years when we probably deserve consideration. Don't you think? We have three teams this year that would have a good shot at winning the Big East, ACC, Big 10, and now even the PAC 10 now that USC has lost. That is a big deal. But the fact we're "mid major" means such facts can be conveniently swept under the rug and ignored.

Last edited by BlueK; 09-26-2008 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:01 PM   #88
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

IMO, the problem here lies with pride.

The Baylors of D1 CFB get lumped in with the "BCS" title that rightly belongs to the 20-or-so EXCELLENT programs in the country.

Meanwhile, the "mid-major" title gets applied to BYU, which gets lumped in with the SDSU's of D1 CFB.

Personally, I don't think "Quality of program" really matches up all that well with the BCS conference lines. For example, I think Utah & BYU belong in probably the third tier of programs (the top two being the 5-10 "ELITE" schools like USC, followed by the dozen-or-so "VERY GOOD" programs that consistently put together national-title-type teams).

BYU is, IMO, probably one of the top-35 programs over the last 30 years. I don't think any other mid-major is in that group.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:04 PM   #89
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
IMO, the problem here lies with pride.

The Baylors of D1 CFB get lumped in with the "BCS" title that rightly belongs to the 20-or-so EXCELLENT programs in the country.

Meanwhile, the "mid-major" title gets applied to BYU, which gets lumped in with the SDSU's of D1 CFB.

Personally, I don't think "Quality of program" really matches up all that well with the BCS conference lines. For example, I think Utah & BYU belong in probably the third tier of programs (the top two being the 5-10 "ELITE" schools like USC, followed by the dozen-or-so "VERY GOOD" programs that consistently put together national-title-type teams).

BYU is, IMO, probably one of the top-35 programs over the last 30 years. I don't think any other mid-major is in that group.
agreed.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:06 PM   #90
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

this thread is way longer than it ever deserved. Please let it die.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote