cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2008, 04:29 PM   #31
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
How so?
You'd rather forego the millions of additional bowl dollars and added excitement and exposure to the program to avoid public ridicule. Pussy.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:34 PM   #32
BYUsportsguy

BYUsportsguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It's our fault we had USU and N. Iowa on the schedule. But that's a seperate issue.

Many fans and apparently the coach and admin think this year's schedule is ideal.
We all know that it's tradition to play USU on conference weekend so the church members can participate in religious activities.

We were never supposed to have UNI on the schedule, but the team that was originally scheduled chickened out. Playing a lower division team is sometimes purely necessary to fill the schedule. Texas Tech has a lower division team on their schedule as do other 'BCS worthy' teams. The presence of Eastern Washington on TT's schedule doesn't seem to be hurting their BCS chances.

Last edited by BYUsportsguy; 09-30-2008 at 04:38 PM.
BYUsportsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:37 PM   #33
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Since 1980, BYU is 6-31-1 against BCS teams that have won 8 or more games in a season. The biggest margin of victory in the six wins was 28-21 vs Miami in 1990.

Code:
Season	W/L	Team	Opponent	        Record	PF	PA
1997	W	BYU	Arizona St.       	9-3-0	13	10
1990	W	BYU	Miami (FL)        	10-2-0	28	21
1989	W	BYU	Oregon            	8-4-0	45	41
1988	W	BYU	Colorado          	8-4-0	20	17
1981	W	BYU	Washington St.    	8-3-1	38	36
1996	W	BYU	Kansas St.        	9-3-0	19	15
1991	T	BYU	Iowa              	10-1-1	13	13
what do any of those seasons have to do with 2008?
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:39 PM   #34
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
what do any of those seasons have to do with 2008?
Do you think that past history doesn't serve as a reasonable guide for future performance? Hell, this year alone we barely beat a 0-4 Washington team on the road.

Last edited by Indy Coug; 09-30-2008 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:03 PM   #35
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You'd rather forego the millions of additional bowl dollars and added excitement and exposure to the program to avoid public ridicule. Pussy.
We're talking about a known outcome. Vegas Bowl vs Hawaii experience.

1. Millions of bowl dollars. We're actually, like BFM says, talking about this once every 5-10 years. So the millions actually comes out to "hundreds of thousands of dollars a year" in my Dr Evil voice. On a $20M budget and compared to the increase in tickets and TV revenue long term an exciting schedule would bring, it's nothing.

2. Excitement. Yes, it would fun to anticipate and pre-game day would be a blast. 5 minutes into the game it becomes uncomfortable, and the sickness of getting embarassed in our ONE national time in the spotlight pretty much washes out the pregame excitement.

3. Exposure. Honestly is Hawaii better off today for the exposure it had last year. I think people saw it for what it was. They had a pretty good team, they gamed the system, and got exposed for being pretenders. Not sure they're any better for it today.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:04 PM   #36
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Do you think that past history doesn't serve as a reasonable guide for future performance? Hell, this year alone we barely beat a 0-4 Washington team on the road.
I believe every season is different. I don't think past performance is a good indicator of future success especially when you are talking about different coaches different players and different competitive landscape of college football.

I think comparing a 1981 season to a 2008 season is about as apples and oranges as you can get.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:06 PM   #37
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYUsportsguy View Post
We all know that it's tradition to play USU on conference weekend so the church members can participate in religious activities.

We were never supposed to have UNI on the schedule, but the team that was originally scheduled chickened out. Playing a lower division team is sometimes purely necessary to fill the schedule. Texas Tech has a lower division team on their schedule as do other 'BCS worthy' teams. The presence of Eastern Washington on TT's schedule doesn't seem to be hurting their BCS chances.
1. Yes I'm aware of those facts about USU and Nevada canceling on us. Nevada = UNI the way the rest of the nation looks at it, so it doesn't matter.

2. TT doesn't get hurt by Eastern Washington because they play Texas, OK, T&M, Kansas, OK State, Baylor, K State, and potentially Mizzou. When we have those teams on the schedule, I'll be fine with adding USU and Nevada.

Next
Old 09-30-2008, 05:07 PM   #38
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
I believe every season is different. I don't think past performance is a good indicator of future success especially when you are talking about different coaches different players and different competitive landscape of college football.

I think comparing a 1981 season to a 2008 season is about as apples and oranges as you can get.
What in our recent performance (recent meaning the last 3 years) that would give you any reason to expect us to do well against BCS teams that are significantly better than 0.500 teams?

Beating a Washington team that will probably lose 10 games? Beating a 6-7 UCLA team or a 6-6 Arizona team or a 7-6 Oregon team?
Old 09-30-2008, 05:12 PM   #39
jay santos

Quote:
What in our recent performance (recent meaning the last 3 years) that would give you any reason to expect us to do well against BCS teams that are significantly better than 0.500 teams?

Beating a Washington team that will probably lose 10 games? Beating a 6-7 UCLA team or a 6-6 Arizona team or a 7-6 Oregon team?
Can you tell me what you want out of the BCS, then? If you have such little regard for our potential, what utility do you get out of a BCS game that you obviously plan to get waxed in?
Old 09-30-2008, 05:14 PM   #40
Indy Coug

Quote:
Can you tell me what you want out of the BCS, then? If you have such little regard for our potential, what utility do you get out of a BCS game that you obviously plan to get waxed in?
I hope we get lucky and find some magic for one night like we did against Miami in 1990; the magic that we didn't have against Texas A&M in 1990.