cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2008, 06:04 AM   #1
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My game thoughts...........

1. BJ sucked for 58 minutes, even the balls he completed deep were underthrown and great adjustments by the receivers. He holds the ball way to long, OSU didnt get much pass rush but because BJ held the ball so long he took a lot of sacks.

2. Kruger is not as good as you guys think he is, you can say what you want about him, I think he is smart, reads the run very well, and has good size. However he does not do a great job of pass rushing his one sack tonight came on a twist and missed blocking assignment so he came untouched. If his initial bull rush (his only pass rushing move) is stuffed then he has no motor and gives up on the play. If the ball is ran away from him he does not chase the play. He is also a pile jumper (several other ute fans at the game agree) when the play is over he dives on top trying to get credit. In fact they gave him credit for 2 plays tonight that Fotu made instead of him.

3. Koa Misi is a good player, also I was surprised at how well Newman held up at the point of attack, I think most of that was because Utah played their LBs so close to the line of scrimmage.

4. BJ did make a great throw on the last touchdown. Also BJ threw a 2 yard out to the far side of hte field on the last drive, if he has the arm strength to actually make that throw it is a pick six, instead he short hopped it. Awful decision on his part.

5. Utahs secondary was exposed tonight they did not look good at all. I dont think Moevao is very good and he looked like a world beater at times.

6. Utahs run defense was excellent, so I will admit I was wrong about that, they played the run very well.

7. After the game I was not sure if Utah won the national championshp or barely beat an unranked team at home. Face it Oregon State is not a great team and they made more coaching mistakes late in that game than I have ever seen. Reminds me of the Mcbride at UTah days.

8. Fun game to be at, Utah fans are pussys and left tons of empty seats, also after ORegon scored their was a mass exodus towards the exits. Half hte south end zone cleared out.

9. BJ has continued his streak of a pick and fumble in every game. So good for him.

10. I will make a bold prediction, Utah will lose a game before the BYU game.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:21 PM   #2
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Barely beating an unranked Pac-10 team at home < Barely beating an unranked Pac-10 team on the road
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:24 PM   #3
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
Barely beating an unranked Pac-10 team at home < Barely beating an unranked Pac-10 team on the road
Well, be fair: one of those two teams beat the then-#1 USC.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:32 PM   #4
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Whatever makes you feel better.....
Old 10-03-2008, 01:34 PM   #5
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Right. Beating the team that just knocked off the #1 team in the country is not as good as beating the winless last place PAC-10 team.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:36 PM   #6
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Right. Beating the team that just knocked off the #1 team in the country is not as good as beating the winless last place PAC-10 team.
How about blowing out a team 59-0 that just knocked off #18 Tennessee?
Old 10-03-2008, 01:38 PM   #7
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Actually, technically USC is tied with both Washington and UCLA for last place in the Pac-10 right now.

Neither UCLA or Washington have played USC yet. Do BYU's victories over those two teams become better if USC loses to either one of them? BYU also beat the shit out of a UCLA team who had beaten a ranked Tennessee team the week before. But that obviously means nothing.

It's quite entertaining watching the double standards when it pertains to your teams victory. Our victory is better because the team we beat has a victory over USC, but yours means less because they suck.

Thank the Lord we get a chance to settle it on the field.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:50 PM   #8
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
How about blowing out a team 59-0 that just knocked off #18 Tennessee?
You mean 1-3 Tennessee? If USC now goes into the tank and shows that it never deserved its ranking, then your analogy will be correct because that is what Tennessee has done. Seriously though, UT is not a bad team they have just lost to some other better ranked teams recently. UCLA on the other hand is a bad team.

The win over UCLA was impressive at the time. As time goes on it has gotten much less impressive as both of those teams have struggled to win. Still, USC could do the same thing. This win last night could look crappier as time goes on. But as of this morning, I do think it is fair to believe that beating the team that just knocked off the team that everyone thought was the odds on National Champ favorite is impressive. Lets be honest, if Utah had lost last night that wouldn't have been that devistating. People would simply being saying "wow, look at the Beavers, there is a team nobody wants to play." And they nearly did beat us.

I'm not saying Utah doesn't have its problems, but I do think that we have played in two games where we were in realy danger of losing at the end and both of them were against good teams. Good teams cause other good teams to struggle. To look at BYU who has drubbed a couple of bad teams and a couple more truly horrific teams and try to make comparisons between their offensive performance in those games to Utah's offensive performance in its games is apples and oranges at this point. That will of course change as we begin to play some common opponents.

I think BYU is very good this year and it is always impressive to shut any team out and to win by large margins, but you have been a BYU fan long enoug, I assume, to know that BYU has a long history of being better than almost anyone at decimating bad teams and that not translating to dominating other good teams. Lets just wait and see is my point.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:53 PM   #9
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Actually, technically USC is tied with both Washington and UCLA for last place in the Pac-10 right now.
Whatever makes you feel better......
Old 10-03-2008, 02:43 PM   #10
BYUsportsguy

BYUsportsguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Whatever makes you feel better......
Actually the fact that USC is at the bottom of their own conference DOES make me feel better. Thanks. :-D
BYUsportsguy is offline   Reply With Quote