cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2008, 03:24 PM   #11
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
You mean 1-3 Tennessee? If USC now goes into the tank and shows that it never deserved its ranking, then your analogy will be correct because that is what Tennessee has done. Seriously though, UT is not a bad team they have just lost to some other better ranked teams recently. UCLA on the other hand is a bad team.

The win over UCLA was impressive at the time. As time goes on it has gotten much less impressive as both of those teams have struggled to win. Still, USC could do the same thing. This win last night could look crappier as time goes on. But as of this morning, I do think it is fair to believe that beating the team that just knocked off the team that everyone thought was the odds on National Champ favorite is impressive. Lets be honest, if Utah had lost last night that wouldn't have been that devistating. People would simply being saying "wow, look at the Beavers, there is a team nobody wants to play." And they nearly did beat us.

I'm not saying Utah doesn't have its problems, but I do think that we have played in two games where we were in realy danger of losing at the end and both of them were against good teams. Good teams cause other good teams to struggle. To look at BYU who has drubbed a couple of bad teams and a couple more truly horrific teams and try to make comparisons between their offensive performance in those games to Utah's offensive performance in its games is apples and oranges at this point. That will of course change as we begin to play some common opponents.

I think BYU is very good this year and it is always impressive to shut any team out and to win by large margins, but you have been a BYU fan long enoug, I assume, to know that BYU has a long history of being better than almost anyone at decimating bad teams and that not translating to dominating other good teams. Lets just wait and see is my point.
I thought that long history you spoke of was debunked by beating 2 pac-10 teams this year? How about back to back wins over Utah was Utah not good last year?

One thing that I do think will suck for both BYU and UTah is because we have such crappy bowl affiliations an 11-1 team is going to the LV bowl to play 6-6 Arizona or Oregon State.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:39 PM   #12
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I hate these arguments but UCLA did nearly beat a ranked Fresno State squad.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:41 PM   #13
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I went to the Sigur Ros show last night!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:42 PM   #14
Surfah
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I went to the Sigur Ros show last night!
Ah, Icelandic pop. Good show?

Old 10-03-2008, 03:49 PM   #15
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
Ah, Icelandic pop. Good show?
Awesome. They didnt play for as long as I would have liked, but it was pretty nice. I was checking the Dodger score every now and then. Seems like every time I checked in, the Blue had tacked on 2 or 3 more runs.

One thing about seeing a band like Sigur Ros.....it really doesnt matter that I dont understand any of the lyrics. The music was still pretty moving.

I did notice a smattering of indie goons....telling people to be quiet during certain instrumentals...much like going to a mogwai show, there is a certain etiquette to the Sigur Ros crowd. Stupid, but interesting.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 10-03-2008, 03:58 PM   #16
Surfah
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Awesome. They didnt play for as long as I would have liked, but it was pretty nice. I was checking the Dodger score every now and then. Seems like every time I checked in, the Blue had tacked on 2 or 3 more runs.

One thing about seeing a band like Sigur Ros.....it really doesnt matter that I dont understand any of the lyrics. The music was still pretty moving.

I did notice a smattering of indie goons....telling people to be quiet during certain instrumentals...much like going to a mogwai show, there is a certain etiquette to the Sigur Ros crowd. Stupid, but interesting.
Indie etiquette. I didn't think it extended past puff, puff, give.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:12 PM   #17
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

My flight to Utah landed right at kick off and I got there when it was 3-3. When it was 20-9, it looked like the Utes were well on their way to a blowout, but they let Oregon St. get back in the game with turnovers and a couple other boneheaded plays.

I agree with CJ about the fans, I thought I was at a BYU game for a second there with all the booing going on.

I've come to a conclusion about Brian Johnson, while still not as bad as cougar fans want him to be, he's just not as good as everyone thought he would be...but I've become convinced more and more that his hype had more to do with Alex Smith than his own potential...bu I digress.

It was still a fun game to be at, and the celebration was what the excitement of college football was all about see: rushing the field at the Vegas Bowl or after beating Utah.

Overall, a win is a win, the Utes are 6-0 and have kind of amazingly been able to overcome (thus far) many of the things that made them drop games in the past.

At 28-20, I'd venture to guess that nobody gave them a shot to tie it up let alone winning it in regulation. So, they spent 58 minutes not showing a lot of heart, but those last 2 minutes or so, I thought they showed quite a bit of heart.

I'm still waiting for them to put it together for 4 quarters, but thus far, not putting it together for 4 quarters hasn't hurt them...yet.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:14 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

duh. The reason people are disappointed is because his mental game has not improved. Nor is he really a serious threat to run.

To me, it looks like he has been poorly coached. not his fault. Utah coaches' fault.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:16 PM   #19
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
duh. The reason people are disappointed is because his mental game has not improved. Nor is he really a serious threat to run.

To me, it looks like he has been poorly coached. not his fault. Utah coaches' fault.
He is so afraid to make a mistake, that he ends up making mistakes...and I actually agree with Waters on a football point, that is coaching.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:20 PM   #20
TripletDaddy

Can anyone confirm whether junkie really went to the game in his beaver gear?