cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2008, 07:46 PM   #11
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAzzuri View Post
Whatever happened to Lark? Did he not pan out?

Also, does anyone know what happened to Seta Pohahau (sp?). I assume he's at a JC somewhere. Is there a chance that he'll still make it to Provo?
James Lark is on his mission after being the 3rd stringer last year. Coaches were disapointed with James during his tenure at BYU. Since then his girlfriend on another BYU athletic squad was killed in a tragic accident.

This is just a guess on my part combined with some info I've heard from others that most would not be surprised if Lark decides to go elsewhere after his mission service is over,,,,but you never really know.

Seta Pouhaha was ruled academically ineligible. Bronco and Co. advised him to head to Snow and get his AA Degree, but he declined and has decided to "continue studying" and retake the exams so that he can get a higher score and qualify to join the team in the Winter. My take on that one is simple: I'll believe it when I see it. Most believe that Seta was the best back we'd signed in 5 years or so, but I think Timo has more upside than he does, but I'm admittedly in the minority on that one.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:46 PM   #12
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Do you know when Nelson gets back from his mish?
Nelson comes home in March I believe.

Lark is on a mission left same time as Munns.

I think we need a JC kid to be the stop gap between 2010 and Munns and/or Lark. I just dont think Nelson is that good.

Also it would not surprise me to see Heaps starting as a true freshman, he is that good.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:48 PM   #13
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Do you know when Nelson gets back from his mish?
Spring of 09'. Not sure if it's time for Spring Football or not.

This is just a guess on my part: I think the coaches redshirt him for the 09' year similar to what they did with Max after his mission and let him run the scout team and then let him compete for the starting job in 2010. Considering how the timeline of Larks and Munns returning from their missions in 2010......like I said, I think Nelson will be the front runner to win the starting QB job that season.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:55 PM   #14
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Nelson comes home in March I believe.

Lark is on a mission left same time as Munns.

I think we need a JC kid to be the stop gap between 2010 and Munns and/or Lark. I just dont think Nelson is that good.

Also it would not surprise me to see Heaps starting as a true freshman, he is that good.

I am in the camp that believes the most likely scenario is Heaps starting as a true freshman. I don't know how good he is but I don't think BYU's answer is Riley Nelson. There is no way Munns or Lark will start that fresh from mission service. Heaps is the guy by default and I think starts as a true freshman. Even though he will have a spring ball to prepare, he will still struggle. 2010 will be a huge rebuilding year for BYU. It is my prognostication that Unga will go pro after his junior year and leave with Hall, Collie and Pitta. BYU will be starting a true freshman qb and breaking in new skill players at every position, sans Oneil Howard and McKay Jacobsen. I think the talent will be fine but the lack of experience will result in 4-5 losses that season and more if Heaps is not as good as we think- which we have learned these top ranked qbs occassional flop.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:56 PM   #15
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
10 demerits for bad football post displaying low football IQ.

I have no idea how good Timo is.

But I do know that if we had to rely on Vakapuna as our go-to back, we would be screwed. and your big-back theory would be out the window. The reason Unga is good, is because he is a good back. He just happens to be bad back.

How is Joe Glenn doing these days? Any rumblings about him losing his job?
Yo dawg, methinks there is a political board out there for people who think a guy with tits is a better coach than Mendenhall. Now run along the sports fans are inarticulately discussing sports topics.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:59 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Yo dawg, methinks there is a political board out there for people who think a guy with tits is a better coach than Mendenhall. Now run along the sports fans are inarticulately discussing sports topics.
that should say "big back", not "bad back". I can be as inarticulate as the rest of you fools.

Btw, it is not a badge of honor to sniff the jock of a 16 year old boy.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:59 PM   #17
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I am in the camp that believes the most likely scenario is Heaps starting as a true freshman. I don't know how good he is but I don't think BYU's answer is Riley Nelson. There is no way Munns or Lark will start that fresh from mission service. Heaps is the guy by default and I think starts as a true freshman. Even though he will have a spring ball to prepare, he will still struggle. 2010 will be a huge rebuilding year for BYU. It is my prognostication that Unga will go pro after his junior year and leave with Hall, Collie and Pitta. BYU will be starting a true freshman qb and breaking in new skill players at every position, sans Oneil Howard and McKay Jacobsen. I think the talent will be fine but the lack of experience will result in 4-5 losses that season and more if Heaps is not as good as we think- which we have learned these top ranked qbs occassional flop.
I agree.

I think Heaps is all that and a bag of chips, but I'm skeptical of starting not just him, but any True Freshman at QB. It rarely goes well regardless of how talented they are. Not to say he won't and can't succeed at BYU or wherever he ends up signing, but it'll likely be a bumpy ride for BYU as a whole in 2010.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:00 PM   #18
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Spring of 09'. Not sure if it's time for Spring Football or not.

This is just a guess on my part: I think the coaches redshirt him for the 09' year similar to what they did with Max after his mission and let him run the scout team and then let him compete for the starting job in 2010. Considering how the timeline of Larks and Munns returning from their missions in 2010......like I said, I think Nelson will be the front runner to win the starting QB job that season.
If the coaches believe Heaps is the eventual answer AND he comes for spring ball 2010, I say throw him out there as the starter and take your lumps in 2010. If the plan is to play Nelson a year and then bench him in favor of Heaps, just throw Heaps to the wolves. I don't know of any JC kid the Y is after who could be a stopgap but the kid who ehf'd up was my fellow Idahoan who is now on the pine at Tulsa. He would have gotten to start one year at BYU as a senior had he stuck around.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:02 PM   #19
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
that should say "big back", not "bad back". I can be as inarticulate as the rest of you fools.

Btw, it is not a badge of honor to sniff the jock of a 16 year old boy.
Even less to be enamored with a sweaty troglidyte's moobs.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:07 PM   #20
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

I know as little about Nelson's ability to play QB at BYU as anybody else on this board, but I think many here may be underestimating him a bit.

He did throw for 53 TDs and 4,000 yards in one season. Yes, he also ran for 31 TDs, but that doesn't take away from the passing accomplishments.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote