cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2008, 03:05 AM   #41
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I know, but you suggested that the no-win was because of the arrogance on the part of the favored team. That's not the reason for the no-win -- that's the reason for the upset.
Ok, I'm with you now.

Quote:
The reason it's a no-win lies with the false assumptions upon which the BCS rests.
Agreed.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:12 AM   #42
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Utah of 2004, I would have been fine if they were matched up with any of the top teams that year (OK, USC or Auburn)...I am not saying that Utah would have beaten any of them, but it would have been a very entertaining game.

Utah of this year is a good team, top 20 even, maybe top 15. But I do not have much of a desire to play a Texas, Florida or any of them. I would be happy for any BCS game (if they get there) but my nervousness of how the Utes would do would be tenfold playing one of the top 5 teams.

With all that said, the BYU game will be real tough if Johnson has one of his lackluster games.

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:59 AM   #43
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
Utah of 2004, I would have been fine if they were matched up with any of the top teams that year (OK, USC or Auburn)...I am not saying that Utah would have beaten any of them, but it would have been a very entertaining game.

Utah of this year is a good team, top 20 even, maybe top 15. But I do not have much of a desire to play a Texas, Florida or any of them. I would be happy for any BCS game (if they get there) but my nervousness of how the Utes would do would be tenfold playing one of the top 5 teams.

With all that said, the BYU game will be real tough if Johnson has one of his lackluster games.
I couldn't disagree more. You should always want your team to get into the best bowl possible. Did you know this team is ranked as high as 2004 at a comparable stage in the season? Did 2004 beat any team as good as TCU, OSU or BYU this year? (I'm including BYU because the discussion hypothetically is about whether Utah should want to play as good a team as possible in a bowl game.) Who has Florida beaten of any moment outside of its own crappy conference? Who has USC beaten outside it's own crappy conference except a team from the crappy Big Ten?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:59 AM   #44
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

That 2004 team was damn good, and I would have liked to watch them against a real team that year.

This year's team may be maximizing its talent most of the time, so the fans should be proud, but it's not on par with the 2004 team. The 2004 team would punish this team for its penchant to commit errors.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:06 PM   #45
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I couldn't disagree more. You should always want your team to get into the best bowl possible. Did you know this team is ranked as high as 2004 at a comparable stage in the season? Did 2004 beat any team as good as TCU, OSU or BYU this year? (I'm including BYU because the discussion hypothetically is about whether Utah should want to play as good a team as possible in a bowl game.) Who has Florida beaten of any moment outside of its own crappy conference? Who has USC beaten outside it's own crappy conference except a team from the crappy Big Ten?
I never said that I don't want them to be in the best bowl possible playing the best team possible. I just said that I don't like my chances as much that way and that it makes me a lot more nervous.

And Seattle, you are seriously crazy if you think that this 2008 team is as good as that 2004 team. I like the 2008 team's defense and tenacity...but that 2004 team was one for the ages.

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:14 PM   #46
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I never said that I don't want them to be in the best bowl possible playing the best team possible. I just said that I don't like my chances as much that way and that it makes me a lot more nervous.

And Seattle, you are seriously crazy if you think that this 2008 team is as good as that 2004 team. I like the 2008 team's defense and tenacity...but that 2004 team was one for the ages.
That team destroyed teams and was the best team Utah is likely ever to see.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:27 PM   #47
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Here are two comparisons:

2004 @New Mexico
Utes 28
Lobos 7
(New Mexico finished 7-4)

2008 @New Mexico
Utes 13
Lobos 10
(New Mexico presently 4-7)

---------------------------

2004 vs. Colorado State
Utes 63
CSU 31
(This included leads of 42-3 and 56-10)
(CSU finished 4-7)

2008 vs. Colorado State
Utes 49
CSU 16
(CSU presently 4-6)

-----------------------

If this year's team were to face Pitt in the Orange Bowl, Utah would win by 10 or less.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:17 PM   #48
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
That team destroyed teams and was the best team Utah is likely ever to see.
Archie, I think you meant state of Utah, not U. of Utah, so you may want to file a clarifying post.

—Paul Auster
Old 11-10-2008, 07:25 PM   #49
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

SI (Mandel) says 'Bama...

Quote:

• The Sugar Bowl will take 12-1 Alabama to replace Florida and, with the second at-large choice, select 12-0 Utah over the Big East champ (which I'm projecting to be 10-3 Cincinnati).

• USC will win out, while Oregon State will stumble once, sending the Trojans to the Rose Bowl where they will meet Big Ten champ Penn State.

• North Carolina will beat Wake Forest in the ACC title game. (To find out how I reached this conclusion, send me a self-addressed stamped envelope and I will send you back a 36-page flow chart in which the league's top six teams all finish either 9-3 or 8-4.)

• Finally, the WAC will free up 12-0 Boise State from its own bowl lineup (just as it did in 2004, when an 11-0 Boise team went to the Liberty Bowl) so that the Broncos can take the Pac-10's vacant spot in the Poinsettia Bowl and face 10-2 BYU.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?eref=T1
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:35 PM   #50
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
Wow. Should Ute fans be for an OSU stumble to keep USC from taking that Sugar Bowl spot?

—Paul Auster