cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2008, 08:02 PM   #21
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Football ticket revenue is not used to fund Coaches Circle, so this is why I am confused at your response. It makes little to no sense in the context of what we are discussing. Help me help YOU, Tex. throw me a bone here.
I have no idea what the Coaches Circle is, nor do I really care. I am completely incurious about how Bronco's salary is paid.

But go ahead ... feel free to explain to me how you are contributing to his salary, so I can tell you again to stop and show him who's boss.

I don't put much stock in comments, but just for kicks, the first comment after the Bright blog entry is a perfect example of a complete jerk for a fan:

Quote:
I am not surprised that the team feels a little less support. The fans, myself included, feel a little let down by the way the team approached the TCU game. It is inexcusable for the team to show up for a game like that with little emotion and less preparation. In addition, our predictable offense was easy to defend and scheme for. The coaches were not prepared and neither were the players. Frankly, I was dissapointed with the effort from both, and it affected my attitude. In fact, I still feel different about the team today...and it is not because of the loss. It is because of the lack of effort and preparation. When I see 100% effort, regardless of a win or a loss, I will be behind them 100% as well. I thought fanatical effort on every play was what Bronco was all about. It is not showing up in this team. I want to see some emotion and heart from BYU players and coaches in a big game like Air Force. Until then, there is less blue in my Kool-Aide.
Good riddance, I say.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 11-11-2008 at 08:05 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:28 PM   #22
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Coaches Circle is the fund set up by the AD to pay our coaches as close to market value as possible, but with the directive to never pay excessively....that is determined on a case by case. BYU wants to stay competitive with its salaries, but will never pay coaches on par with the top BCS counterparts. The Church will not allow that.

Bronco received a raise at the beginning of last season, as well as an extension. Rose also received a raise. Bronco makes somewhere around $800-850K now. Rose, I have no idea what he makes.

Coaches Circle is funded by direct donations from fans and private donors. It was originally launched by a direct buy-in from a tiny pool of well-heeled donors and there was a minimum contribution to a member of Coaches Circle, but has expanded to accept contributions from all sides (you just are not a "member" of the Circle unless you meet minimum contribution requirements.

Bronco's salary is derived 100% from Coaches Circle, not from BYU football ticket or TV revenue.

The fact that you know none of this means you are not a very big fan. in which case, Bronco says good riddance to you.

Also, again, staying on point to the original post, what exactly is your point? You seem to be fixated on me showing Bronco who is Boss. Why? The issue of who is Boss was never AT issue. The original post was Bronco wanting fans to prove that they are invested, not Bronco wanting fans to not boss him around.

Sometimes you are very sloppy with your approach. This is one of those times.

how much have you donated to Coaches Circle, btw?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:42 PM   #23
Tex

Quote:
The fact that you know none of this means you are not a very big fan. in which case, Bronco says good riddance to you.
Heh, right. Next home game let's have a show of hands of everyone who's a Coaches Circle donor. Then hand Bronco a mic so he can tell them all to leave the stadium, shouting "Good riddance."

You appear to have Entitled Fan and Condescending Fan syndrome rolled into one, making you very intolerable.

Quote:
Also, again, staying on point to the original post, what exactly is your point? You seem to be fixated on me showing Bronco who is Boss. Why? The issue of who is Boss was never AT issue. The original post was Bronco wanting fans to prove that they are invested, not Bronco wanting fans to not boss him around.
Entitled Fan syndrome consists of fans citing their "right" to stuff based on their financial contribution (right to boo, right to attend spring practice, etc). My deepest and most sincere apologies if you aren't one of Those.

EDIT: I just realized you're referring to the entire "Fully Invested" campaign, and not some recent quote. What exactly do you find wrong with a coach asking fans to step up their commitment to the program?

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 11-11-2008 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Fixed a misunderstanding.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:43 PM   #24
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Bronco should shut his Coaches Circle pie hole about the fans proving they are fully invested. The school would not be paying him his current salary if it werent for the fans....who are basically paying it.

The expectations are really high right now because we have a rare convergence of offensive talent, which we should not squander via half-hearted effort.

The loss to TCU does dampen enthusiasm. Welcome to big-time football, where the goal is NOT a winning season or to make it to a bowl game. The goal is to play on the biggest stages. Losing a game puts an end to that goal.

A 9-1 season is still great and fans should not abandon the team, but BYU cannot have it both ways......do the Cougars want to compete at the highest level or not? And if so, then they need to get used to rabid fans that live and die with every single mistake or success. This problem isnt unique to BYU, maybe BYU just isnt used to high expectations.
This deserves another amen. My sentiments exactly.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:52 PM   #25
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Entitled Fan syndrome consists of fans citing their "right" to stuff based on their financial contribution (right to boo, right to attend spring practice, etc). My deepest and most sincere apologies if you aren't one of Those.
I don't understand your Entitled Fan Syndrome. Every fan is entitled to something because they have invested something whether it be time to watch them on TV, the money for a ticket to game, or if they donated a few hundred thousand quid to the Coaches Circle. If you don't feel some sort of entitlement as a fan then I don't think you're truly a fan.

I don't get Bronco's or Bright's comments at all in regards to this matter. It seems as though they are saying the opposite of what you are. We're not fully invested so we're not entitled to booing I think. But what I think they really mean is that if we were fully invested then we wouldn't boo at all.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:09 PM   #26
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Heh, right. Next home game let's have a show of hands of everyone who's a Coaches Circle donor. Then hand Bronco a mic so he can tell them all to leave the stadium, shouting "Good riddance."
Yawn. more non-responsive silliness.

Quote:
You appear to have Entitled Fan and Condescending Fan syndrome rolled into one, making you very intolerable.
I am entitled. I am entitled to boo, cheer, critique, or support as I see fit. Or are you suggesting that I am not?

Quote:
I haven't relied on my contributions as a basis for my right to do anything. In fact, until this latest strawman post of yours, we werent even discussing "rights"

Quote:
EDIT: I just realized you're referring to the entire "Fully Invested" campaign, and not some recent quote. What exactly do you find wrong with a coach asking fans to step up their commitment to the program?
I find nothing wrong a coach asking fans to step up their commitment. But if a coach is going to ask fans to step up their commitment, on the heels of receiving a huge pay raise and an extension directly out of the pockets of those same fans, then why would he get offended that people are let down by some of his work product?

Bronco shouldn't be questioning the investment of commitment of the fans when his very job is paid by the fans. Since you are relatively clueless as to how D-1 football programs operate financially, I can tell you that a 100% fan subsidy for a coaches salary is almost unheard of. Of all the things Bronco can complain about, fans being "invested" in the program is the worst one.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 11-11-2008, 09:51 PM   #27
Tex

Quote:
Yawn. more non-responsive silliness.
Maybe you need to read your own posts more carefully.

Quote:
I am entitled. I am entitled to boo, cheer, critique, or support as I see fit. Or are you suggesting that I am not?
Some things yes, some no.

Quote:
I haven't relied on my contributions as a basis for my right to do anything. In fact, until this latest strawman post of yours, we werent even discussing "rights"
It's not a straw man. I said if it doesn't apply to you, then I take it back.

Quote:
I find nothing wrong a coach asking fans to step up their commitment. But if a coach is going to ask fans to step up their commitment, on the heels of receiving a huge pay raise and an extension directly out of the pockets of those same fans, then why would he get offended that people are let down by some of his work product?

Bronco shouldn't be questioning the investment of commitment of the fans when his very job is paid by the fans. Since you are relatively clueless as to how D-1 football programs operate financially, I can tell you that a 100% fan subsidy for a coaches salary is almost unheard of. Of all the things Bronco can complain about, fans being "invested" in the program is the worst one.
See comments below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
I don't understand your Entitled Fan Syndrome. Every fan is entitled to something because they have invested something whether it be time to watch them on TV, the money for a ticket to game, or if they donated a few hundred thousand quid to the Coaches Circle. If you don't feel some sort of entitlement as a fan then I don't think you're truly a fan.

I don't get Bronco's or Bright's comments at all in regards to this matter. It seems as though they are saying the opposite of what you are. We're not fully invested so we're not entitled to booing I think. But what I think they really mean is that if we were fully invested then we wouldn't boo at all.
Sure, when you spend time and money on learning about, caring about, and watching a team, there's a sense of euphoria or disappointment that accompanies their performance.

But I don't think that grants someone the right to be a jerk, especially when in truth, your contribution is very small and only indirectly relates to said performance.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 11-11-2008, 10:05 PM   #28
TripletDaddy

So you say some things yes, some things no.

What things do you think are entitled and what things are proscribed?

Note that there is no right or wrong answer here, just curious as to what glasses you are wearing when you say these things.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:32 PM   #29
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Here is where I get my right to boo:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Seriously, what is the big deal about booing? If there is a better way of immediately expressing my desire for the coach to reconsider his decision to be a pussy and kick a field goal instead of going for the win against B.C., I am open to it. What is it?
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:18 PM   #30
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

BYU fans are a bunch of pussies, and this thread proves it.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote