cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2006, 08:17 PM   #31
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
There is a difference between being deflated and discouraged on the field and tanking a game purposefully hoping your coach loses his job.
I'm going to have to agree with fusnik ... next thing someone will claim that the missed field goal at BSU was on purpose.

Last edited by tooblue; 10-11-2006 at 08:22 PM.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:18 PM   #32
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
Says a lot about their character, IMO.

As much as I thought that my coach in High School was shitty and I could have called a better game than him, I always gave my all and did everything that I could to win the game because I wanted to win. Win for my school, win for my team and win for me.
I should add that this contingent upon it being true.

I have a hard time believing that a dude would intentionally suck so that a coach could get fired. There is a difference, IMO, between not playing all out and tanking. I think that it is somewhere in between, not that they threw the game, but that they didn't give it their all.

Just my take.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:29 PM   #33
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
There is a difference, IMO, between not playing all out and tanking. I think that it is somewhere in between, not that they threw the game, but that they didn't give it their all.
That's my point, there is a huge difference between, not studying film, working out hard, paying attention in practice because you hate the coach, and going onto the field of competition and purposefully missing assignments, making blocks, upholding the rules of the game, etc, so that your coach gets fired.

Tanking a game is akin to throwing a game. If the players are throwing games, they literally should have their scholarships revoked, should be kicked out of school, should be blotted out of the school's history, and their familial relations should be investigated thorougly. Throwing a game so your coach loses employment is like taking money from a bookie to throw a game.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:38 PM   #34
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That's my point, there is a huge difference between, not studying film, working out hard, paying attention in practice because you hate the coach, and going onto the field of competition and purposefully missing assignments, making blocks, upholding the rules of the game, etc, so that your coach gets fired.

Tanking a game is akin to throwing a game. If the players are throwing games, they literally should have their scholarships revoked, should be kicked out of school, should be blotted out of the school's history, and their familial relations should be investigated thorougly. Throwing a game so your coach loses employment is like taking money from a bookie to throw a game.
And how would you feel, if you were the NEW coach, and you knew that they players beforehand didn't give their all. Didn't study film, didn't work out hard... would you still want those guys on your team?

Like I said earlier, Bronco didn't demand his players to be 'fully invested' because he thought it was a good gimmick. It was a serious problem with a lot of players when he took over.

If LR Jr. openly admitted to losing so Crowton would get fired, that is dispicable. If I was on a team and a teammate of mine did that, I would be VERY upset about it. Especially if that players dad was one of the guys who could be next in line to take over.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:45 PM   #35
fusnik11

Quote:
If LR Jr. openly admitted to losing so Crowton would get fired, that is dispicable. If I was on a team and a teammate of mine did that, I would be VERY upset about it. Especially if that players dad was one of the guys who could be next in line to take over.
If he openly is admitting that he was purposefully tanking games so Crowton lost his job there is no way in hell his father should be on the current coaching staff given he was on the prior staff.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:46 PM   #36
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
If he openly is admitting that he was purposefully tanking games so Crowton lost his job there is no way in hell his father should be on the current coaching staff given he was on the prior staff.
Why? Lance Sr. didn't throw the game.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:08 PM   #37
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Was it Gman who got that inside info, is he the 'highly respected' poster?

Furthermore I don't see players, in games regardless what they say, giving less of an effort.

They might not put in the time in the weight room or in the film room, but tanking it purposely on the field? I highly doubt that.
No, it wasn't Gman. Whether Lance actually did it or not, he claimed he did.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:10 PM   #38
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Don't believe everything you hear. You ought to know that.
You mean don't believe Pres Samuelson or my dad? Thanks for the scoop.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:12 PM   #39
fusnik11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
No, it wasn't Gman. Whether Lance actually did it or not, he claimed he did.
Wow, where did he make this claim? Was it to this poster? His father aware of his attempts to throw games? Is the university?

He gambled with the financial future of a man and should be punished as if he had gambled himself on the game.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:14 PM   #40
Indy Coug

After BYU had destroyed AFA and SDSU, they dropped 9 passes and allowed 7 sacks against UNM, missed 3 FGs and only scored 14 points. I can't prove anything beyond Lance Jr.'s claim, but it certainly looks fishy in light of Lance Jr.'s claim.

But as I said before, it was the HC scandals that sunk Crowton's boat, not the losses.

Last edited by Indy Coug; 10-11-2006 at 09:21 PM.