cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2006, 09:24 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default CougarMom post on Bronco

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2260168

I'm going to do my own reading between the lines and pyschoanalysis to give my theory on what's going on.

My theory is that Mrs. Brown has a general uneasiness and disaccord to the "hardass gospel approach" Bronco takes. And that her concern is not necessarily epitomized by the two examples of policy she brings up.

Some Cougarboarders crack back on her because they love the hardass gospel approach, poor guys. They'll learn. Hopefully.

If the Goatnapper Theorem is true, it will show itself shortly. Now is the perfect time for Bronco to let go of the hardass gospel stuff and just start coaching football. He needs non-LDS and it's going to start hurting him if he doesn't loosen the reigns on this approach soon.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:34 PM   #2
Rickomatic

Rickomatic

We had a letter read in Bishopric's meeting this week that outlines a more focused / raise the bar type guidelines for entering any church owned school. Going to BYU is a privilege, not a right.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."

Mark Twain
Rickomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:36 PM   #3
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickomatic View Post
We had a letter read in Bishopric's meeting this week that outlines a more focused / raise the bar type guidelines for entering any church owned school. Going to BYU is a privilege, not a right.
Boo
Old 11-14-2006, 09:42 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

there is no need to emphasize the exclusiveness of BYU to youth in my ward.

BYU is hardly on the radar. We're doing good if there are realistic plans to attend college. 4 year university is a bonus. I frequently let the kids know about BYU.

I dare not discourage them.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:52 PM   #5
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Boo
Boo all you want.

Bronco's way is working and proving very effective to this point.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:10 PM   #6
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Boo all you want.

Bronco's way is working and proving very effective to this point.
Yes. But get this straight because if you don't, you'll completely miss the boat.

Bronco's "way" that is working is getting players like Beck, Brown, Harline, Kuresa, Jensen, Kehl, Nixon, Criddle, etc. Then he uses coaches like Anae, Doman, Kaufusi, Hill to develop strategy and coach these guys. Then he motivates them to succeed. Nothing more or less than that.

The firesides and the spirit talk and the BOM reading is not the reason the team is 8-2.

Cheryl's perspective is important in that it gives a pulse on the non-member's view of Bronco. If he offends instead of attracting non-LDS, the program will suffer. This team depends on non-LDS less than any good BYU team ever but it's still nice to have Curtis, Coats, Reed, Robinson (am I forgetting any wow that's not many).
Old 11-14-2006, 10:13 PM   #7
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2260168

I'm going to do my own reading between the lines and pyschoanalysis to give my theory on what's going on.

My theory is that Mrs. Brown has a general uneasiness and disaccord to the "hardass gospel approach" Bronco takes. And that her concern is not necessarily epitomized by the two examples of policy she brings up.

Some Cougarboarders crack back on her because they love the hardass gospel approach, poor guys. They'll learn. Hopefully.

If the Goatnapper Theorem is true, it will show itself shortly. Now is the perfect time for Bronco to let go of the hardass gospel stuff and just start coaching football. He needs non-LDS and it's going to start hurting him if he doesn't loosen the reigns on this approach soon.
I'm with you Jay. Bronco would do well to consider the things she had to say in that post. You're talking about a woman who has a lot of respect for lds culture and still has some reservations about the way some things are done. She's the type of mom you will have to (and want to) pitch to to get good non-lds to come to BYU.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:11 PM   #8
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Yes. But get this straight because if you don't, you'll completely miss the boat.

Bronco's "way" that is working is getting players like Beck, Brown, Harline, Kuresa, Jensen, Kehl, Nixon, Criddle, etc. Then he uses coaches like Anae, Doman, Kaufusi, Hill to develop strategy and coach these guys. Then he motivates them to succeed. Nothing more or less than that.

The firesides and the spirit talk and the BOM reading is not the reason the team is 8-2.

Cheryl's perspective is important in that it gives a pulse on the non-member's view of Bronco. If he offends instead of attracting non-LDS, the program will suffer. This team depends on non-LDS less than any good BYU team ever but it's still nice to have Curtis, Coats, Reed, Robinson (am I forgetting any wow that's not many).
I understand where her and you are coming from, but I trust Bronco at this point.

BYU will never attract a large number of Non-LDS. It's not rational to think otherwise. Signing 4-5 Non-LDS player would be a good place to start.

Thus far he's got some solid commits from some very good Non-LDS players.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:14 PM   #9
RockyBalboa

I would suggest that Bronco has likely heard her concerns and other Non-LDS parents concerns. Bronco has proven that he isn't so arrogant as to eschew some change here and there.

He also has chosen to use the Honor Code and other uniques about BYU as a positive recruiting tool in a different way that coaches in the past have not.

It'll take a couple more seasons to see if that bears more fruit, but thus far with the kind of Non-LDS commits he's received it's hard to argue that where's he coming from is not working.

The last thing I think Bronco is worried about is apologizing for the unique culture here as it's one of the main emphasis points of recruiting.

I applaud him for that.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:15 PM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe having a mentor for the younger players is a good thing, but making it too much a mission companion starts to make me think of Eagle Marketing, which evokes a very sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.