cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2007, 02:02 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default A few thoughts on the So'oto/Hooks incident

1. I don't blame the police for arresting them. They were knocking down doors with the intent to assault. I'm not a lawyer and don't know what the options the police had, but I'm not suprised or outraged or crying racism just because the kids were arrested.

2. After discussing this with my wife, she had some good female insight, because I wanted to know what a guy should do in this quandary where someone has (kind of) attacked your woman and you have the duty to protect her. She said, this wasn't about the girl, this was about male rage and aggression. If it was about the girl, he would have taken her away from the scene and attended to her. Made sure she was OK, physically and emotionally, and stayed with her.

3. I'm again thankful for getting banished from CB, because I probably would have wasted my whole day arguing with idiot CB'ers on either why these guys were justified to pound the snot out of the water balloon tossers, and defending myself as I probably would have been labeled a pansy, passive wuss who takes no action. Instead I wasted my day arguing grace and works--much more fulfilling.

4. Though these guys should have some consequences with the law, I don't think it should affect their school (or team) standing. It just wasn't that serious of a thing to kick someone out of school for. I talked to HCO a few years back and they told me every year they have less than 20 suspensions and less than a handful if any expulsions. This just doesn't rate up there with the top 20 offenses the 30,000 BYU students have committed this year.

5. HC action to athletes is directly correlated with publicity. That's a bad sign, and makes it possible for a more serious penalty than I would think it deserves. That would be very sad, if so.

6. Black non-LDS have accounted for a tremendously disproportionate HC incidents at BYU. I did a rough cut analysis a few years back and concluded that black non-LDS football players are suspended from BYU at a rate that is more than 100 times the average student body. Bronco cut back on black, non-LDS recruiting the first couple years, but it appeared he was reversing that trend. I hope this doesn't affect that trend.

7. Everytime I get close to subscribing to TBS, they offer up a free article that is just so ridiculously homeristic and one-sided, that it reinforces my view that it's just a bunch of homer fans hyping each other up about how awesome our players and coaches are.

Last edited by jay santos; 04-10-2007 at 02:05 PM.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:13 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
7. Everytime I get close to subscribing to TBS, they offer up a free article that is just so ridiculously homeristic and one-sided, that it reinforces my view that it's just a bunch of homer fans hyping each other up about how awesome our players and coaches are.
You take the arithmetic average of Monson and TBS and you get a balanced story. At least TBS doesn't pretend to be fair and balanced, unlike some jaded members of the media.

I see nothing wrong with the pro-player tone that TBS takes with its reporting. It's a pro-BYU site that caters specifically to pro-BYU fans and many player families. That's where their bread is buttered. If people want "balanced" reporting (and I use that term very loosely), there are plenty of FREE outlets available for viewpoints that differ from TBS.

Cracking on TBS for their style of reporting is asinine.

Last edited by Indy Coug; 04-10-2007 at 02:15 PM.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:23 PM   #3
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
You take the arithmetic average of Monson and TBS and you get a balanced story. At least TBS doesn't pretend to be fair and balanced, unlike some jaded members of the media.

I see nothing wrong with the pro-player tone that TBS takes with its reporting. It's a pro-BYU site that caters specifically to pro-BYU fans and many player families. That's where their bread is buttered. If people want "balanced" reporting (and I use that term very loosely), there are plenty of FREE outlets available for viewpoints that differ from TBS.

Well I'm an asinine kind of guy, what do you expect?

I could have been a lot more critical of that "article" yesterday. I went easy on it. I understand many people like the homer style, but it just doesn't do much for me. If every recruit is the next greatest. And every season is going to be better than the last. And every felony burglar charge was an overblown incident consisting of a couple boy scout football guys asking nicely for someone to stop attacking their girlfriend. If it's all like that, the value is completely eroded.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:26 PM   #4
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:

I agree and disagree if that's possible.

On on hand they make no bones that they're pro BYU. A couple of the writers, one in particular is close friends with many players on the team.

In a situation like this, if they want to be taken more seriously by their peers, other BYU fans who haven't subscribed and other potential subscribers then writing that article significantly undermines their desire to bring more $$$, and bring more subscribers on board and yes I know they "do it for the love of the game" and not neccessarily for the $$,,,but without an increase of $$ it only hurts them,,not helps and a story like the one published yesterday flies in the face of journaslitic integrity.

I've made the opinion known on the message board on TBS. My opinion has nothing to do with the respect that I have for Talo Steves. I respect him a lot, he is a very good guy, but in a situation like that it would've been best to simply recuse himself from writing that article,,,even though he had the families permission or leave that article to be wrote by someone else like the newcomer Dusty Lister...who's a little less emotionally involved in the situation.

I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation if they want to be taken more seriously. I like TBS and my favorite part about it is reading the recruiting articles. No other medium can even touch them in that regard, but in this situation they would've been wise to stand pat and let others think what they think instead of pouring fuel on the fire and hurting their integrity.

Again, having said that I'm a subscriber and have been since it's inception and will continue to be so. My difference of opinion doesn't hurt my respect for Talo.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:31 PM   #5
Indy Coug

Quote:
Well I'm an asinine kind of guy, what do you expect?

I could have been a lot more critical of that "article" yesterday. I went easy on it. I understand many people like the homer style, but it just doesn't do much for me. If every recruit is the next greatest. And every season is going to be better than the last. And every felony burglar charge was an overblown incident consisting of a couple boy scout football guys asking nicely for someone to stop attacking their girlfriend. If it's all like that, the value is completely eroded.
See, when you make comments like that it proves

1. You really don't read much of TBS's stuff.
2. Your reading comprehension is alarmingly poor.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:32 PM   #6
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I agree and disagree if that's possible.

On on hand they make no bones that they're pro BYU. A couple of the writers, one in particular is close friends with many players on the team.

In a situation like this, if they want to be taken more seriously by their peers, other BYU fans who haven't subscribed and other potential subscribers then writing that article significantly undermines their desire to bring more $$$, and bring more subscribers on board and yes I know they "do it for the love of the game" and not neccessarily for the $$,,,but without an increase of $$ it only hurts them,,not helps and a story like the one published yesterday flies in the face of journaslitic integrity.

I've made the opinion known on the message board on TBS. My opinion has nothing to do with the respect that I have for Talo Steves. I respect him a lot, he is a very good guy, but in a situation like that it would've been best to simply recuse himself from writing that article,,,even though he had the families permission or leave that article to be wrote by someone else like the newcomer Dusty Lister...who's a little less emotionally involved in the situation.

I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation if they want to be taken more seriously. I like TBS and my favorite part about it is reading the recruiting articles. No other medium can even touch them in that regard, but in this situation they would've been wise to stand pat and let others think what they think instead of pouring fuel on the fire and hurting their integrity.

Again, having said that I'm a subscriber and have been since it's inception and will continue to be so. My difference of opinion doesn't hurt my respect for Talo.
By the same token, it's his approach that gets people information that very few people are able to get. So you take with a grain of salt some of the pro-bias and understand that by doing so, you get insights you aren't going to find elsewhere.

It's a fair tradeoff.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:33 PM   #7
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
2. After discussing this with my wife, she had some good female insight, because I wanted to know what a guy should do in this quandary where someone has (kind of) attacked your woman and you have the duty to protect her. She said, this wasn't about the girl, this was about male rage and aggression. If it was about the girl, he would have taken her away from the scene and attended to her. Made sure she was OK, physically and emotionally, and stayed with her . . .
. . . and then go and kicked the waterballooners' asses.

Women understand nothing about chivalry.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.

Last edited by myboynoah; 04-10-2007 at 02:43 PM.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:39 PM   #8
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
By the same token, it's his approach that gets people information that very few people are able to get. So you take with a grain of salt some of the pro-bias and understand that by doing so, you get insights you aren't going to find elsewhere.

It's a fair tradeoff.
This is true, but sometimes a situation like this, I just think that printing that article hurt the integrity of the site.

I know for a fact that there are those in BYU administration, especially in the coaching staff that LOATHE TBS, and an article like that only serves to hurt them in their eyes,,not helps them.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:06 PM   #9
jay santos

One more thing, which I forgot to include.

Like everything else, there seems to be some rivalry stuff going on with this incident. I am not going to compare it to Ratcliffe or anyone else on the U, because I don't give a crap about Ratcliffe or anyone else on the U. I don't have enough info to compare, and if you do you are probably a rivalry loser.

That's all.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:07 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I finally read the article. I didn't before, because by the complaints of others, I knew it was going to be bush league.

And of course, it was.

My problem with TBS is that the writing is bad. It's significantly better than Grapevine's, but it's still bad.

I know these guys aren't real journalists or real writers, but if you are going to actually pay money to read these guys, at least let it be decent writing.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote