cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 01-20-2008, 04:14 AM   #21
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Just finished watching the game on DVR and only have a few comments.

BYU earned the win. They held on down the stretch and got it done. The difference was Cummard. That dude is a gamer and he'll win a lot of games for BYU while he's there.

Is there a 25 foot shot that Tavernari doesn't love?

If Plaisted could get it in his head that he has the ability to play at the college level, he would be a helluva player. Right now, he's a mental wuss.

The Utes are exponentially better this year than they were last year and the difference is Boylen. He's had to deprogram this team from the soft candy asses that Giacoletti taught them to be. While the loss was disappointing, the fact that the Utes didn't crawl under the bench and wimper like chijujajuas in a thunderstorm tells me that Boylen has them headed in the right direction.

It would have been fun to be at the game because it sounded like an energetic crowd and it was a very good game.

I do have to congratulate myself because I did post here that I had the feeling that the Y was going to pull out a win, though the ball didn't bounce off Plaisted's head and into the hoop for the winning basket.
Why did you believe this hapless team would win?
Old 01-20-2008, 04:16 AM   #22
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Because it's a rivalry game.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:33 AM   #23
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Just finished watching the game on DVR and only have a few comments.

BYU earned the win. They held on down the stretch and got it done. The difference was Cummard. That dude is a gamer and he'll win a lot of games for BYU while he's there.

Is there a 25 foot shot that Tavernari doesn't love?

If Plaisted could get it in his head that he has the ability to play at the college level, he would be a helluva player. Right now, he's a mental wuss.

The Utes are exponentially better this year than they were last year and the difference is Boylen. He's had to deprogram this team from the soft candy asses that Giacoletti taught them to be. While the loss was disappointing, the fact that the Utes didn't crawl under the bench and wimper like chijujajuas in a thunderstorm tells me that Boylen has them headed in the right direction.

It would have been fun to be at the game because it sounded like an energetic crowd and it was a very good game.

I do have to congratulate myself because I did post here that I had the feeling that the Y was going to pull out a win, though the ball didn't bounce off Plaisted's head and into the hoop for the winning basket.

I too thought BYU would win, but didn't have time to post my prediction.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:35 AM   #24
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Because BYU is the better team with better players.

I was mystified with the complete and utter surrender by Cougar fans after the UNLV game. On Cougarboard, I doubt 10% of the people were expecting the Cougars to win. Granted, the UNLV game was one of the worst losses in years, but it was still only one game (or two, if you count WF). What's that stat Wrubbell loves to quote? Rose's teams have never lost two in a row, or something like that? A month ago, you hade a bunch of people predicting BYU would be a 4 seed. This week, you had a bunch predicting that BYU would finish in the bottom half of the conference and not win another road game all year. It was probably the same people each time, as each prediction is equally as silly.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:43 AM   #25
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
Because BYU is the better team with better players.

I was mystified with the complete and utter surrender by Cougar fans after the UNLV game. On Cougarboard, I doubt 10% of the people were expecting the Cougars to win. Granted, the UNLV game was one of the worst losses in years, but it was still only one game (or two, if you count WF). What's that stat Wrubbell loves to quote? Rose's teams have never lost two in a row, or something like that? A month ago, you hade a bunch of people predicting BYU would be a 4 seed. This week, you had a bunch predicting that BYU would finish in the bottom half of the conference and not win another road game all year. It was probably the same people each time, as each prediction is equally as silly.
BYU will not win many games though if Plaisted and Tav continue to tank. I don't know what's into their psyches that they can't hit the broad side of barn.

Plaisted owes Utah a new backboard for all the damage his shots did to it.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:01 AM   #26
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
The Cal victory was on the road in a tough arena, the Louisville victory was neutral site.

Cal plays in the best conference in the country, Louisville plays in a worse conference.
Good points. I'll admit I'm pulling a Kerry/Romney here and doing some flip flopping.

I think for now I'll be content in saying that they were both good wins. Even though I'm not a Utah fan, I really dig Coach Boylen. Except for when you guys play us I really want to see them do well simply because of him. For me at least the guy is impossible not to like. He reminds me a lot of my high school coach.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 01-20-2008 at 07:03 AM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:13 PM   #27
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Funk please tell me you are trolling on CB when blaming the refs. I actually thought for once this was a pretty well officiated game. I think it was called pretty fair on both sides.

One call that was missed however was when Murdock was trying to push the ball up the court because he didnt hear the timeout, and Boylen had ran on the floor like an idiot throwing a fist pump in the air and Murdock plowed in to him.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:24 PM   #28
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Funk please tell me you are trolling on CB when blaming the refs. I actually thought for once this was a pretty well officiated game. I think it was called pretty fair on both sides.

One call that was missed however was when Murdock was trying to push the ball up the court because he didnt hear the timeout, and Boylen had ran on the floor like an idiot throwing a fist pump in the air and Murdock plowed in to him.

A little from column A and a little from column B. My biggest complaints is the Utes got called for camping in the paint and moving screens, which forced us to play honest in both respect throughout the game. BYU on the other hand never got these calls and were camping and moving on picks all game.

Plus the MWC always favors the home team, which was odd that it was actually even and slightly in favor of BYU IMO. I'm hoping for the same treatment in the Marriott Center to even things out.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:37 PM   #29
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Considering the physical style of ball the U plays, no U fan should ever be surprised if they're called for more fouls and the opposing teams shoot more FT's.

Regardless of officiating, the fact is the better team won.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:52 PM   #30
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
A little from column A and a little from column B. My biggest complaints is the Utes got called for camping in the paint and moving screens, which forced us to play honest in both respect throughout the game. BYU on the other hand never got these calls and were camping and moving on picks all game.

Plus the MWC always favors the home team, which was odd that it was actually even and slightly in favor of BYU IMO. I'm hoping for the same treatment in the Marriott Center to even things out.
C'mon Funk, this is really unbecoming of a Ute Fan. Ute Nation wrote the book on how BYU Fans should not act after a loss, and complaining about refs is the number one on the infraction list. Number two is claiming how bad one's team is.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote