cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 02-04-2008, 06:59 PM   #31
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
I don't make any athletic moves in low level games, whether it is basketball or volleyball.

Neither do I, so we have that in common.

Of course, I don't at any other time or palce, either.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:02 PM   #32
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post

Of course, I don't at any other time or palce, either.
Hehehe

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:19 PM   #33
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Best defense I've ever seen used to keep guys off of you in the post was employed by a good friend of mine.

Kid was huge - probably only 6'2, but weighed a good 245, and MOST of it was solid muscle (especially after he discovered wrestling & football late in High School). At any rate, the kid would, after only five minutes of playing, completely drench his shirt in sweat. To the point where sweat was dripping off of him.

NO ONE would touch the kid when he was that soaked except for me (and keep in mind, I was 5'10, and weighed 145 on a good day). And let me tell you, when guarding the point, and taking a screen from the kid where my open mouth ended up smack in the middle of his man-boobs, I decided to stop playing him quite so physically.

The NEXT-best (or perhaps even better) method was one I employed. I went out to play some pick-up ball with my brother at a local church. My wife had fed me an hour or so before I left. She'd made Salmon-Loaf. It had a certain digestive reaction, producing a smell that was just short of lethal when escaping from either end. I chose to employ the toxin at the offensive end of the court. For the next five minutes, I was the only person willing to come within 20 feet of the basket.
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:23 PM   #34
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Along those same lines, I once played pickup against a guy with a prosthetic arm.

It's one thing to get hacked by a normal person, it's quite another to get hacked by a club posing as an arm. I didn't want to get near him after that.

Another time I played against a guy with really bad psoriasis on his arms. They were rough, scabby, and just about bleeding everywhere. I could still "feel" his arms rubbing against mine the whole way home. It was hard to mentally shake off.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:04 AM   #35
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Along those same lines, I once played pickup against a guy with a prosthetic arm.

It's one thing to get hacked by a normal person, it's quite another to get hacked by a club posing as an arm. I didn't want to get near him after that.

Another time I played against a guy with really bad psoriasis on his arms. They were rough, scabby, and just about bleeding everywhere. I could still "feel" his arms rubbing against mine the whole way home. It was hard to mentally shake off.
Good hell. I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

I employ Spaz's defense. I sweat like crazy. Nobody posts me up.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:54 PM   #36
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The guy whose nose I broke--he has been getting chippy recently.

Last week, as I was guarding him, he took a little Karl Malone swing with his elbow, sort of as a warning and then said if I had my head down, I was getting an elbow. I said bring it on. (I already mentioned this I think, but background is necessary).

So this week, he is driving to the basket and totally throws himself at me getting an elbow in. I was playing straight up D. He did a similar thing last week as well. So I got a little hot and told him "I see how it is." He was now entering cheap shot territory by purposefully trying to get in shots. Whereas, for example, when I broke his nose, it was on a loose ball, ball going out of bounds, full-speed, and he was behind me out of sight. So I'm getting a little hot. After a couple of possessions he tells me "I was wrong." And then after the games were done, apologized to me saying "I have been playing scared, and I was wrong."

I love competition.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:26 PM   #37
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The guy whose nose I broke--he has been getting chippy recently.

Last week, as I was guarding him, he took a little Karl Malone swing with his elbow, sort of as a warning and then said if I had my head down, I was getting an elbow. I said bring it on. (I already mentioned this I think, but background is necessary).

So this week, he is driving to the basket and totally throws himself at me getting an elbow in. I was playing straight up D. He did a similar thing last week as well. So I got a little hot and told him "I see how it is." He was now entering cheap shot territory by purposefully trying to get in shots. Whereas, for example, when I broke his nose, it was on a loose ball, ball going out of bounds, full-speed, and he was behind me out of sight. So I'm getting a little hot. After a couple of possessions he tells me "I was wrong." And then after the games were done, apologized to me saying "I have been playing scared, and I was wrong."

I love competition.
Be careful Mike, sounds like he's setting you up.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:30 PM   #38
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Be careful Mike, sounds like he's setting you up.
There is a reason he has been playing scared. It's because he has taken his measure, and he has come up short.

I'm in his head = my advantage.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:36 PM   #39
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm in his head = my advantage.
See, that's what I'm talking about.

Be careful Mike. I like you and wouldn't want anything bad happen to you.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote