cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 04-16-2008, 07:29 PM   #41
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Imagine Plaisted against Garnett, Duncan, or Boozer.
Imagine 90% of the NBA against those superstars. Those guys dominate not only the end of the bench players, they dominate EVERYONE. That's why they're called superstars. I don't think anyone ever thought Trent would be an NBA superstar. I agree his prospects of even making a team are pretty iffy, but whether he has an NBA future or not and whether a team will take a chance on him in the draft are two very different questions. Go look up past drafts and tell me there haven't been a heck of a lot of players (especially tall ones) drafted pretty early who couldn't hack it in the NBA. Most NBA teams are addicted to drafting height. If he does get drafted he makes a lot of money even if he can't play in the NBA. And if he doesn't get drafted he makes money in Europe where he probably can have a good career. From a purely economic perspective I don't think he's making such a terrible decision, although I really hope he comes back.

Last edited by BlueK; 04-16-2008 at 07:38 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:37 PM   #42
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm saying I can't think of a single asset of the game that Trent would be good at or even passable, in the NBA.

passing, rebounding, scoring, steals, defense.

I can't see him even as a 8min a game niche player.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:38 PM   #43
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Imagine Trent against Dampier. An old wobbly-kneed player on the Mavs that frankly is not that good. But good enough to start on a team deficient of big-men.

I honestly think Dampier would absolutely and utterly dominate Trent.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:46 PM   #44
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm saying I can't think of a single asset of the game that Trent would be good at or even passable, in the NBA.

passing, rebounding, scoring, steals, defense.

I can't see him even as a 8min a game niche player.
Well, then hopefully he'll hear that from NBA people and go back to BYU.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:11 PM   #45
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Well, then hopefully he'll hear that from NBA people and go back to BYU.
And dedicate himself to improving the things he needs to make himself not only draftable, but playable in the NBA.

All he really needs is a little more physicality on the block and a jump-shot. He hit a few jumpers from the top of the key this year, so I don't think he's hopeless in those terms if he works hard.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:14 PM   #46
MikeWaters
Demiurge

and a lock-down and help-side defender. His offensive skills aren't good enough to carry him into the NBA without outstanding D. But a lot of D is basketball IQ, which Plaisted is short of.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:22 PM   #47
Spaz

Quote:
and a lock-down and help-side defender. His offensive skills aren't good enough to carry him into the NBA without outstanding D. But a lot of D is basketball IQ, which Plaisted is short of.
I think his D improved a lot this last year. I would hope that improvement would continue.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Old 04-17-2008, 06:56 PM   #48
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
All he really needs is a little more physicality on the block and a jump-shot. He hit a few jumpers from the top of the key this year, so I don't think he's hopeless in those terms if he works hard.
He needs a lot more than physicality and a jumpshot. He has a low basketball IQ and the worst hands for a BYU big man this side of Dan Howard.

People are talking about his prospects based on his size, but he doesn't really have great size. He might be listed at 6'11", but he plays like he's 6'8". Either he has T-Rex arms, or has no idea how to leverage height.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:14 PM   #49
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
He needs a lot more than physicality and a jumpshot. He has a low basketball IQ and the worst hands for a BYU big man this side of Dan Howard.

People are talking about his prospects based on his size, but he doesn't really have great size. He might be listed at 6'11", but he plays like he's 6'8". Either he has T-Rex arms, or has no idea how to leverage height.
I disagree, as outlined above.