cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 05-15-2008, 05:30 PM   #91
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Without Plaisted it will certainly open more shots for Jimmer. He'll have every opportunity to step up this season.
By opening up shots, you mean by the lack of guys sagging down on Plaisted?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:32 PM   #92
Prof-Bball

Prof-Bball is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Without Plaisted it will certainly open more shots for Jimmer. He'll have every opportunity to step up this season.
Jimmer will have to become more of a facilitator this year. He is going to have to create shots for himself and others on a regular basis. It will be interesting to see how he improves. I think if he sures up his ballhandling in the half court a little, and if he can get a little quicker and a little stronger to defend, he will have a great year.
Prof-Bball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:35 PM   #93
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof-Bball View Post
Jimmer will have to become more of a facilitator this year. He is going to have to create shots for himself and others on a regular basis. It will be interesting to see how he improves. I think if he sures up his ballhandling in the half court a little, and if he can get a little quicker and a little stronger to defend, he will have a great year.
Can a guy get quicker. The Jazz vs the Lakers reminds me of BYU vs athletic teams.

I like Jimmers play a lot. However, I just don't see him as a quicker, stronger guy who can create his own shots. Maybe against mid tier teams, but not the upper tier.

I am more than open to hear a counter argument.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:50 PM   #94
Prof-Bball

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Can a guy get quicker. The Jazz vs the Lakers reminds me of BYU vs athletic teams.

I like Jimmers play a lot. However, I just don't see him as a quicker, stronger guy who can create his own shots. Maybe against mid tier teams, but not the upper tier.

I am more than open to hear a counter argument.
Three of Jimmer's best games this year. WF, UNLV(mwc finals), Texas a&m.
I know they were all Losses but in all three Jimmer was able to get to the rim and create his own shot against upper tier programs. I was really amazed at how Jimmer performed in the mwc finals with corey bailey guarding him. Bailey is taller stronger longer and more athletic than Jimmer, and is reguarded as their best defensive player. Jimmer scored 17 pts against him and made him look silly a few times.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:18 PM   #95
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Jimmer is a poor man's Deron Williams. What he lacks in quickness, he can overcome with strength and IQ.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:27 PM   #96
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof-Bball View Post
I don't disagree with this.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:28 PM   #97
Prof-Bball

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Jimmer is a poor man's Deron Williams. What he lacks in quickness, he can overcome with strength and IQ.
And you don't have to be quicker, or as quick, as long as you are quick enough.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:47 PM   #98
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like the coaching staff had no clue he signed with an agent.

• ESPN.com NBA Insider Chad Ford reports that BYU junior Trent Plaisted signed with Mark Bartlestein, eliminating any chance Plaisted would return to the Cougars for his senior season. Plaisted told the BYU staff that he would wait until Memorial Day to make a final decision on signing with agent, according to BYU assistant Dave Rice. Rice was surprised to hear that Plaisted had signed. This is an interesting move. We'll see where Plaisted lands in the draft.

But more than anything, this could be a crushing blow to the Cougs, who were a likely favorite for the Mountain West next season with Plaisted. Plaisted averaged 15.6 points and 7.7 rebounds for the Cougs.

BYU coach Dave Rose will also have to sweat out Lee Cummard, too. The Cougs' top returning scorer (15.8 ppg) also declared for the NBA draft.