cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2008, 03:44 PM   #21
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Cummard has to withdraw his name from the draft by 6/16. If he does so, he can return to school. If not, he's stuck with whatever happens in the draft.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:26 PM   #22
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

NBA draft rules.

1. If you enter the draft and do not hire an agent you have until June 16th to withdraw your name.

2. If you decide to stay in the draft but still do not hire an agent, if you are undrafted you may return to school. However, you will not be eligible to be drafted the next season, you can only enter the draft once. (This happened with Randolph Morris of Kentucky, he returned for his senior year, and then signed immediately after the season with the Knicks and he was eligible immediately)

3. If you enter the draft and hire an agent your eligibility is over.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:31 PM   #23
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
NBA draft rules.

1. If you enter the draft and do not hire an agent you have until June 16th to withdraw your name.

2. If you decide to stay in the draft but still do not hire an agent, if you are undrafted you may return to school. However, you will not be eligible to be drafted the next season, you can only enter the draft once. (This happened with Randolph Morris of Kentucky, he returned for his senior year, and then signed immediately after the season with the Knicks and he was eligible immediately)

3. If you enter the draft and hire an agent your eligibility is over.
This is correct. CJ Miles, currently with the Jazz, was a player in a similar situation. He was drafted and had the option to sign with the Jazz, or go to school at the University of Texas because he did not hire an agent. Had he gone to school, the Jazz would have owned his draft rights (I am not sure for how long) once he was done with his college career. He ended up coming straight to Utah though for the pay-day. It hasn't been awful for him, as he's made a nice sum of money, however I wonder how much further along his game would have been had he gone to Texas.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:33 PM   #24
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Nobody talked about CJ's monster dunk. But with the Jazz being so guard-heavy, I don't know what role he can have. Almond and Miles are standing on the outside looking in. Because they have no real substantial NBA experienc, they don't have much value. Their real value would be their small contracts.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:35 PM   #25
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Nobody talked about CJ's monster dunk. But with the Jazz being so guard-heavy, I don't know what role he can have. Almond and Miles are standing on the outside looking in. Because they have no real substantial NBA experienc, they don't have much value. Their real value would be their small contracts.
The funny thing about the NBA is a larger expiring contract is worth more than a middle of the road type player. CJs dunk was very impressive, I am surprised more people didnt talk about it. I also thought Derons follow dunk (eventhough the whistle blew) was pretty sweet on the AK miss.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:08 PM   #26
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
This is correct. CJ Miles, currently with the Jazz, was a player in a similar situation. He was drafted and had the option to sign with the Jazz, or go to school at the University of Texas because he did not hire an agent. Had he gone to school, the Jazz would have owned his draft rights (I am not sure for how long) once he was done with his college career. He ended up coming straight to Utah though for the pay-day. It hasn't been awful for him, as he's made a nice sum of money, however I wonder how much further along his game would have been had he gone to Texas.
The rule changed after that. They must withdraw before the draft now.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:38 AM   #27
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
...however I wonder how much further along his game would have been had he gone to Texas.
Interesting question. What is Rick Barnes' ability to get shooting guards ready for the next level? Anybody know?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:16 AM   #28
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Interesting question. What is Rick Barnes' ability to get shooting guards ready for the next level? Anybody know?
he can get it done in one year. His best players go in one year to the NBA.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 05:42 AM   #29
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
ask Booby Gibson
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote