cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food

Old 05-06-2008, 04:35 AM   #31
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
This sounds good.

Question: doesnt the tomato paste mix burn quickly in the heat of the skillet? Is the purpose to blacken the paste and serve on top of chicken, use it to spice the chicken only and do not serve it with meal, or simply to heat it up and remove it quickly and serve with pasta?

I may use your recipe and add some sweet pearl onions to the mix. yum!
The mix is usually fine because it isn't really in direct contact with the skillet. When I spoon it in, I put it directly on top of the chicken, kind of like a salsa. The juices from the mix flow down and help season the skillet for the upcoming pasta. If it falls off the chicken, it probably isn't too big a deal because it's only on the skillet for a few minutes.

As to the purpose of the mix, I guess it all depends on taste. I kind of view it as a cross between salsa and marinara sauce. It has the texture of a thick salsa, but it goes really well when mixed in the pasta like a marinara. Pearl onions sound great, btw. I'm going to give that a try. I also imagine the mix would work well on bruschetta.

I also forgot to mention that I put a little seasoning rub on the chicken breast prior to putting it on the frying pan. It might sound weird, but I like a little Montreal Chicken Seasoning. It has all the basic seasonings and spices; Garlic, Onion, Paprika, Red Pepper, so it works pretty well even when just using a frying pan. I don't use a whole lot, just enough to flavor it a little.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:50 PM   #32
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

This turned out very well yesterday, I shall be making it again:

-Sautee an onion, sliced mushrooms, and diced chicken breast in olive oil
-When fully cooked, add about 6 oz. sour cream
-When bubbling, add about 4 oz shredded cheeses
-When bubbling, add roasted red pepper tomato alfredo sauce (mine was out of a jar, but if you know how to make your own, more power to you)
-In the meantime cook 16 oz. of pasta, and when finished, stir it into the sauce.

Très Magnifique!
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:26 PM   #33
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

Today I had a sliced roast beef sandwich for lunch, but instead of using plain old boring sliced bread, I used focaccia peppers and cheese bread. Mmm.

Dessert was brownies from a Ghirardelli mix, topped with nutella.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:24 PM   #34
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
Cafe Rio Burritos...
Here's another Cafe Rio recipe. If you like their salads, this is the Creamy Lime-Cilantro Dressing:

1 pack (1oz) Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix (regular, not buttermilk)
1 cup mayo
1/2 cup milk
1 lime
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro
1/4 cup green salsa
hot sauce to taste

Very simple: place milk, mayo, and ranch mix in blender. Juice the lime in the blender, which should yield about 2 tablespoons. Add the garlic, cilantro and green salsa. Blend. Add hot sauce to taste.

Make an hour ahead of time, then refrigerate to thicken.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:36 AM   #35
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

This was heavenly:

Orgasmic Mac and Cheese

Quote:
Wild Mushroom Macaroni and Three Cheeses with Truffle Oil

1 1/2 cups sliced crimini mushrooms
1 1/2 cups sliced shitake mushrooms
2 tbsp oil or bacon fat
1 1/2 tbsp sherry vinegar
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
3 cup whole milk, warmed
4 oz herb chevre, crumbled
4 oz sharp cheddar, shredded
4 oz parmigiano reggiano, separated in 2 2oz piles
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
2 tsp fresh rosemary, minced
1 tsp fresh sage, minced
2-3 tbsp white truffle oil, depending on how strong you like it (yes, this is some rich mac-n-cheese)
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup panko
10 oz elbow pasta
kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place a large pot of water over high heat and cover. Place a large saute pan with 2 tbsp oil or lard over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the mushrooms to the pan and saute for 7-10 minutes or until the mushrooms are fully cooked and slightly caramelized. Toss or stir occasionally. Season with a pinch of kosher salt and black pepper then deglaze the pan with sherry vinegar. Allow all of the vinegar to cook out, then remove the mushrooms from the pan and set aside.

Begin the cheese sauce. Add 4 tbsp butter to a medium-sized sauce pan and place the pan on the stove over medium heat. Once all the butter is melted and hot, whisk in 4 tbsp flour. Cook the flour, whisking, for about 30 seconds , just long enough to get rid of the raw flour taste, but not long enough for the flour to start caramelizing. Add the thyme, rosemary, sage, and red pepper flakes. Continue stirring and allow the herbs to saute for about another 30 secpnds. Slowly pour in the milk while whisking continuously, so the roux and milk incorporate smoothly and there are no lumps. Allow the bechamel to come to a simmer (it won't gain it's full thickness until it does), stirring occassionally.

While waiting for the sauce to come to a simmer start the pasta. Liberally salt the pot of boiling water, almost to the point it tastes like sea water. This may take a few handfuls of salt . Add the pasta to the water and cook the pasta for a minute or two less than the suggested time on the box.

Once the bechamel has reached a simmer, stir in the chevre, cheddar, 2oz of parmigiano, and truffle oil until all the cheese has melted. Turn off the heat and and taste the sauce for seasoning levels. Season with salt and pepper as necessary. In small mixing bowl, mix together the panko and remaining 2oz of parmigiano reggiano.

Strain the pasta immediately once finished cooking. In a mixing bowl, toss the pasta, cheese sauce, and mushrooms together. Pour the macaroni and cheese into a deep glass or ceramic loaf pan and sprinkle the panko/parmigiano mixture evenly across the top. Bake the mac-n-cheese in the upper part of the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the topping is golden and the cheese sauce is bubbly. Serve hot. Enjoy!

*if you're lucky enough to have a real truffle, feel free to substitute shaved truffle for the truffle oil!
Old 06-13-2019, 04:10 PM   #36
MiniCookie

MiniCookie is on a distinguished road

If you like shrimps, I can recommend these recipes https://club.cooking/recipe-category/shrimp/

Healthy and quick!
MiniCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:06 AM   #37
YellowApple

YellowApple is on a distinguished road

I tried cookies recipe from this site yesterday https://club.cooking/recipe/no-bake-...tmeal-cookies/ pretty quick and tasty!
YellowApple is offline   Reply With Quote