cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion

Old 08-11-2016, 12:35 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what happens when a student at BYU gets married to same sex?

Male student single enters BYU. Meets a man, they date, and get married. They do not have pre-marital sex. Perhaps they don't even engage in kissing and hand-holding. The point is that they did not violate the BYU honor code up until they got married. Now he is expelled.

He sues BYU. BYU loses the lawsuit.

Now what happens? Does the church say ok, we have to change, no choice?

Or does the church close BYU? Do they divest itself of BYU, and BYU becomes it's own independent private non-profit university?

This is coming.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:28 PM   #2
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Male student single enters BYU. Meets a man, they date, and get married. They do not have pre-marital sex. Perhaps they don't even engage in kissing and hand-holding. The point is that they did not violate the BYU honor code up until they got married. Now he is expelled.

He sues BYU. BYU loses the lawsuit.

Now what happens? Does the church say ok, we have to change, no choice?

Or does the church close BYU? Do they divest itself of BYU, and BYU becomes it's own independent private non-profit university?

This is coming.
Don't know. Maybe something good comes of it. We no longer practice polygamy. Who knows. I think something like this is a few more years down the road than maybe you do, but who knows. Another option is the church continues to operate BYU but just changes the HC to a simple statement of principles we believe in and leaves individual ecclesiastical issues to the bishops. The current version and enforcement mechanisms of the HC have not always been at BYU. They date back to a reactionary president in the 60s -- Pres Wilkinson. It was a reaction to the social upheaval and hippie culture at other campuses. I could see them making this kind of change hopefully sooner rather than later. It may take the next prophet to do it though.

One big reason I don't think the church would want to give away BYU to someone else is because they really wouldn't want it to become crazy expensive overnight and suddenly become a private school that still carries the aura of being the "LDS" school that only spoiled rich brats can afford to attend. It would be a heck of a deal to pull off for any group taking it over anyway. There is a reason most private schools are many times smaller than BYU.

Last edited by BlueK; 08-11-2016 at 03:40 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:24 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

if the church no longer subsidizes tuition at BYU, yes, the place would be radically different. Would be like southern virginia. Or SMU.

I'm not a legal expert, but I wonder if we might see a situation where no BYU students could get federal aid (loans or pell grants). That would be a hardship which would impact many.

This is really a case where the leadership of the church has no answers for its members (i.e. there is no doctrine about why people are gay, there is even denial that being gay is something that actually occurs--hence the refusal to say the word, just that some have same sex attraction). Where leadership fails, the people perish. And we see that literally. With gay Mormon suicides.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:05 PM   #4
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I make an appointment with Dr. Waters for a psychiatric evaluation? Reading his posts is giving me depression. I have BlueCross BlueShield Federal.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:10 PM   #5
BlueK

Quote:
if the church no longer subsidizes tuition at BYU, yes, the place would be radically different. Would be like southern virginia. Or SMU.

I'm not a legal expert, but I wonder if we might see a situation where no BYU students could get federal aid (loans or pell grants). That would be a hardship which would impact many.
Harvard has money set aside for financial aid. Students get charged for tuition based on how much they have and families under a certain HH income level pay no tuition. Conceivably the church could do something similar if suddenly no one could get grants or federal loans. It would cost a lot but they'd just ask for money and there are plenty of wealthy members with a soft spot for BYU who would give money to start such an endowment.

Will this ever happen? I don't know. But I'm pretty confident in saying they'd probably try something like this before giving up the school entirely.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:08 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
Can I make an appointment with Dr. Waters for a psychiatric evaluation? Reading his posts is giving me depression. I have BlueCross BlueShield Federal.
someone has to be the debbie downer of BYU sports. And Archaea has been too happy w/ his new wife to be the one to do it.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:09 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

that brings up an issue.

Has BYU-I helped things or hurt things?

Why I ask is that before it existed, schools like Texas A&M had a more robust LDS presence and institute program.

But BYU-I has siphoned off a lot of those students. And I assume that is the case across the country.

So it begs the question of what the model is going to be in the future.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:28 PM   #8
BlueK

Quote:
someone has to be the debbie downer of BYU sports. And Archaea has been too happy w/ his new wife to be the one to do it.
congratulations to Archaea. I'm very happy to know he is happy.