cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion

Old 02-05-2018, 01:51 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default General authority invited us to not watch the Super Bowl

Stake conference, his wife spoke first. Told story of their son wanting to watch the Super Bowl. Not watching TV on Sunday was a family rule. Son said something cute. Son was not allowed to watch the game.

Then the GA spoke (Seventy) and specifically invited the congregation to not watch the athletic event occurring today. I can't recall that he specifically uttered the words "Super Bowl". But certainly his wife had in the prior talk. The GA said we would be blessed by keeping the Sabbath day holy.

Ok. So I chose not to watch the Super Bowl as a result. As an act of faith and sustaining one of my leaders. And the expectation that I will be blessed.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:16 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Stake conference, his wife spoke first. Told story of their son wanting to watch the Super Bowl. Not watching TV on Sunday was a family rule. Son said something cute. Son was not allowed to watch the game.

Then the GA spoke (Seventy) and specifically invited the congregation to not watch the athletic event occurring today. I can't recall that he specifically uttered the words "Super Bowl". But certainly his wife had in the prior talk. The GA said we would be blessed by keeping the Sabbath day holy.

Ok. So I chose not to watch the Super Bowl as a result. As an act of faith and sustaining one of my leaders. And the expectation that I will be blessed.
I watched and Brother Van Noy was not blessed to be on the winning side.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:10 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I just watched the game, skipping through it from 2nd quarter to end. Pretty good game. No defense, but pretty good game.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:56 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I didn't see anyone from my ward post anything about the SB on Sunday. Funny.

The GA accomplished that--kept members' mouths shut.