cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 01-29-2007, 07:09 PM   #31
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
"Rotten things"?

It depends upon the perspective. Did he say things which aren't proper in our society, LDS that is? Yes. Did he have an ego? Yes, did he go overboard? Yes.

Were the things he did horrible and reasons to hold a grudge on him? Not in my opinion. He was an excellent basketball coach, but some of his grittiness wasn't going to cut it in SLC forever. As a basketball fan, I loved his teams. As a Coug fan, I'm relieved he's gone, because we've had nobody capable of matching him in close games. He knows his stuff better than I will ever know basketball, and IMHO, although crude, he was NOT malicious, though he didn't cater to authority very well.
Arch...he said and did things which aren't proper in any society, regardless of religion.

Majerus was malicious to many people in many things, in many different ways. He is not a good person.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:14 PM   #32
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Arch...he said and did things which aren't proper in any society, regardless of religion.

Majerus was malicious to many people in many things, in many different ways. He is not a good person.
Well, I've heard different angles on the Lance Allred affair. He was an ass, but he was always an ass to all comers, as he demanded perfection. After your playing years, Coach Majerus was there for the guys. I would prefer him to Bobby Knight any day.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:17 PM   #33
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Well, I've heard different angles on the Lance Allred affair. He was an ass, but he was always an ass to all comers, as he demanded perfection. After your playing years, Coach Majerus was there for the guys. I would prefer him to Bobby Knight any day.
I've never seen or worked with Bobby Knight up close, but based on my interactions with Majerus I'd choose Bobby everytime.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:27 PM   #34
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

It would be an interesting study to see which coach had a higher rate of attrition over the years.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:20 AM   #35
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Chris Jackson's dad told me last year that they knew exactly what they were getting when Chris decided to play for Majerus and if they ahd to do it all over again, Chris, his dad and mom would do it the exact same way. Contrary to porpular opinion, Majerus never hid the fact that playing for him was going to be brutal.

What he did to Lance Allred was incredibly indecent, but what bothered me most about the entire article was that it came to be 2 years after Allred had left Utah. If Monson was any kind of man, he would have written it when it happened. But he's a coward and a grudge holder.

I agree with Goat and Archaea in the sense that Majerus was a top notch coach and that it was much easier to live with it because he was winning. I don't apologize for nor do I defend his behavior because that's my job to do so. I will, however, say that I'm glad he was at Utah because of what he did for Ute basketball. There are few basketball geniuses and he is one of them.

I also agree that Ute fans didn't like Reid because he put a helluva team on the floor. That guy could coach.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.

Last edited by il Padrino Ute; 01-30-2007 at 02:24 AM.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:10 AM   #36
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Chris Jackson's dad told me last year that they knew exactly what they were getting when Chris decided to play for Majerus and if they ahd to do it all over again, Chris, his dad and mom would do it the exact same way. Contrary to porpular opinion, Majerus never hid the fact that playing for him was going to be brutal.

What he did to Lance Allred was incredibly indecent, but what bothered me most about the entire article was that it came to be 2 years after Allred had left Utah. If Monson was any kind of man, he would have written it when it happened. But he's a coward and a grudge holder.

I agree with Goat and Archaea in the sense that Majerus was a top notch coach and that it was much easier to live with it because he was winning. I don't apologize for nor do I defend his behavior because that's my job to do so. I will, however, say that I'm glad he was at Utah because of what he did for Ute basketball. There are few basketball geniuses and he is one of them.

I also agree that Ute fans didn't like Reid because he put a helluva team on the floor. That guy could coach.
Who's the bigger coward? Monson for writing it 2 years later or Majerus for actually being the one responsible for what happened?
Old 01-30-2007, 03:23 AM   #37
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Who's the bigger coward? Monson for writing it 2 years later or Majerus for actually being the one responsible for what happened?
Monson, because he only wrote it for only one reason - as a way to take shots at Majerus because Majerus wouldn't ever kiss his ass. It was never about Allred.

Also, Monson is the bigger coward because he never went to Majerus for any kind of rebuttal or even a comment in his own defense. If that isn't cowardly, I don't know what is. You can surely understand that, can't you?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:37 AM   #38
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Monson's story was so ridiculously one sided and self serving. Yes, what Majerus did was wrong but Monson conveniently left out that Lance Allred was an asshole as well. There was culpability on Lance Allred's side as well, but that certainly did not help with the personal grudge that Monson had against Majerus so he left it out of the story.

Look Monson is an ass for the way he dealt with the Majerus situation. I still remember Monson writing an article claiming that Majerus wrote a letter in praise of Al McGwire, after his death, as a means to grow his national stature. In a sense Monson used the death of Majerus mentor as a chance to get a shot in against Majerus, with no proof of his claim. Majerus wrote that letter as what it claimed to be, a tribute to his mentor. Monson being the grudge holding ass that he is, decided to use a man's death to go after his enemy. That is as bad as anything Majerus ever did.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:05 PM   #39
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
Monson's story was so ridiculously one sided and self serving. Yes, what Majerus did was wrong but Monson conveniently left out that Lance Allred was an asshole as well. There was culpability on Lance Allred's side as well, but that certainly did not help with the personal grudge that Monson had against Majerus so he left it out of the story.

Look Monson is an ass for the way he dealt with the Majerus situation. I still remember Monson writing an article claiming that Majerus wrote a letter in praise of Al McGwire, after his death, as a means to grow his national stature. In a sense Monson used the death of Majerus mentor as a chance to get a shot in against Majerus, with no proof of his claim. Majerus wrote that letter as what it claimed to be, a tribute to his mentor. Monson being the grudge holding ass that he is, decided to use a man's death to go after his enemy. That is as bad as anything Majerus ever did.
Monson has also recently (this past football season) as a means of saying he'll take on anyone and everyone who is a big name in the Utah (state of) sports landscape.

During the weeks after KW said that people who were being critical of him don't know anything about football, Monson proudly beat his chest about taking on Majerus and Karl Malone (though he omitted the fact that neither of them were actually in Utah anymore when he "took them on.")

The other thing he did this past year was imply that KW threatened to beat him up by making the comments that he did. That lasted for a few days but never got any legs so Monson dropped it.

Then again, PK has a point when he says that people shouldn't take on someone who has an unlimited amount of ink at his disposal...ahh the good ole media!
Old 01-30-2007, 11:18 PM   #40
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Such class displayed here. I don't like what he's done to lots of kids either, but I won't sink to that level.

You're wrong about his being an analyst. The guy knows more about the game than almost anyone. I'd guess you're opinion of his ability as an analyst is tainted by your personal feelings of him.
He's just hard to listen to on TV. Obviously he knows more about basketball than all the people registered to post on this site put together. But he's bad on TV.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote