cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2007, 05:47 PM   #31
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
I guess being MWC Player of the year means nothing...
It doesn't if you want to play at the next level and you are not especially big, not skilled in post play, don't handle, and don't have consistent range on your jumper, nor can you create your own shot.

Outstanding defensive player, good rebounder, great team guy. Not enough to make him a great inidividual player. POY for Jensen tells you all you need to know about the quality of play in the league that year.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:48 PM   #32
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
Essentially if Alex hadn't have gone on a mission we would be talking about Utah's National Championship in 1996
I think that is a distinct possibilty.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:49 PM   #33
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
You can trot out team resumes all you like but it does not change the fact that these guys are good solid college players, with the exception of Josh Grant (who was thought of highly enough to be a first round draft pick). The fact that the fat man succeeded with good, but not spectacular, local talent is a testament to his genius.

I do think that there is good role player level talent at all times in Utah, but only infrequently is there high level talent.
Then you have no hope. Guys like this are the best BYU can hope for. The issue here is who has made more of the local Utah talent over the past decades. We haven't even gotten into Vranes, Chambers, Judkins, etc. Santos said BYU took Utah's "base." It's not even really Utah's base but recent evidence shows that whatever there is to get Utah usually gets it.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:53 PM   #34
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
You can trot out team resumes all you like but it does not change the fact that these guys are good solid college players, with the exception of Josh Grant (who was thought of highly enough to be a first round draft pick). The fact that the fat man succeeded with good, but not spectacular, local talent is a testament to his genius.

I do think that there is good role player level talent at all times in Utah, but only infrequently is there high level talent.
BTW, even Majerus needed good players. He had a couple of bad seasons at Utah when he lacked them.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:55 PM   #35
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Then you have no hope. Guys like this are the best BYU can hope for. The issue here is who has made more of the local Utah talent over the past decades. We haven't even gotten into Vranes, Chambers, Judkins, etc. Santos said BYU took Utah's "base." It's not even really Utah's base but recent evidence shows that whatever there is to get Utah usually gets it.
Maybe you are right. BYU basketball is dead to me. I try to get enthusiastic about it, and I do want them to win, but the Roger Reid fiasco has been hard to get over (since he was a close family friend).

But aside from my personal feelings, the Cougars do have significant inroads in California, and the occasional talented Mormon elsewhere in the US. As far as non-BCs recruiting pools go it is one of the best.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:19 PM   #36
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
You don't kow what you're talking about. Britton Johnsen was a far bigger deal than Josh Grant when he came to Utah. Do you know what a McDonald's all-American is? He and Alex Jensen were stars in Utah's Final Four season, which beat the no. 1 and no. 2 teams in the nation in the NCAA playoffs, the latter the defending NC. Alex started for that team and was one of its three best players. (Each had his growth stunted by missions.) Mark Jackson was one of the two best players on Utah's 29-6 team that was Sweet 16, and two years before that he was the starting PG when Utah beat Pac 10 champ Oregon in the NCAA playoffs. Jimmy Soto started on Majerus' first Sweet 16 team that won 31 games.

If these players aren't special as Mormon Utahns go why do you hold out any hope at all for the future of your program? Payers like this is the best you can hope for.

I don't mind debating these issues with you guys. My job here seems to be enlightening the aborigines about whatever. But one thing I can't abide is some blow hole who comes and just makes stuff up like this. Other than Indy I don't see that happen very often here.
It's posts like these that keep me coming back to my Ute smack. You other guys aren't quite as fun, but SU is pure entertainment.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:49 PM   #37
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yeah, I am going to have to go ahead and disagree with that. I will admit that he was a great player, especially when one considers that he had no discernible basketball skills.
Well said, Lundberg.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote