cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Other College Sports

Old 08-28-2007, 11:51 PM   #1
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road
Default Sports Gambling Assistance Needed

any comments would be helpful. i have some money set aside to bet on a college football game this weekend when i go down to vegas. my initial thought is to put it all on cal against tennesee. the line is 6 on cal to win.

any thoughts or other suggestions would be appreciated!
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:55 PM   #2
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Ask your boss. I'm pretty sure he would have some good advice for you.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:08 AM   #3
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
any comments would be helpful. i have some money set aside to bet on a college football game this weekend when i go down to vegas. my initial thought is to put it all on cal against tennesee. the line is 6 on cal to win.

I'd say go for the "over" in the Utah-Oregon State game.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:19 AM   #4
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Texas traditionally schedules a home cupcake on week one and pummels them. These have been their week one scores this decade:

52-10
41-7
27-0*
66-7
65-0
60-3
56-7

*Note in 2002 they scheduled North Texas, who turned out to be better than anticipated, finishing 8-4, winning their conference and their bowl game.

This year, Texas opens against Arkansas State from the mighty Sun Belt conference, losers of 4 of their last 5 games including two shutouts. See if Texas is favored by less than 40.

Last edited by ute4ever; 08-29-2007 at 12:22 AM.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:03 PM   #5
OrangeUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Ask your boss. I'm pretty sure he would have some good advice for you.
i did this morning. it didn't go over very well! i asked him if he wanted me to put some money on byu for him and i got a courtesy laugh. he wasn't amused.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:09 PM   #6
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post

One piece of advice I will give you is never take up on one of those free offers to call an expert and get his free pick.

One time they were offering the free pick the BYU game on an ad on 1280. I called just to see who they were picking. This guy called me back over and over trying to get me to buy his service. I explained, I don't gamble and was just curious. He kept callling and calling.

Finally after a couple of months and my saying you are wasting your and my time, he told me to F off.

Then I started getting calls from all of them. He had passed my number around.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:24 PM   #7
OrangeUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
One piece of advice I will give you is never take up on one of those free offers to call an expert and get his free pick.

One time they were offering the free pick the BYU game on an ad on 1280. I called just to see who they were picking. This guy called me back over and over trying to get me to buy his service. I explained, I don't gamble and was just curious. He kept callling and calling.

Finally after a couple of months and my saying you are wasting your and my time, he told me to F off.

Wow! Sounds like a used car salesman once you say you're interested but want to keep shopping around. Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:33 PM   #8
Donuthole

Donuthole is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post

I had literally the EXACT same experience. The first time I called the guy was really nice at first, joking about who I was going to put a "nickel" on today, etc. etc. When I told him I wasn't much of a gambler, he began the "that's ok, there's a first time for everybody" routine. I then made it clear that I wasn't planning on betting that day, and I had just called for the free "guaranteed" pick. When I said that, he mumbled something inaudible and then said really quickly "Kansas State over Iowa State" and hung up.

Then, for the next 3 weeks the same dude would call at least once a day. The first few times I tried reasoning with him, telling him that I didn't have money to gamble because I was a law student, etc. etc. to which he would respond, "but you get student loan money, right? How bout making that money work for you." Finally on the third rejection he called me an effing pussy and hung up on me. He continued to call me for the next couple weeks, but I didn't answer of course. That didn't stop him from leaving F-bomb-laden voicemails and physical threats. Truth be told, I found the voicemails entertaining, and would regularly share them with my buddies at law school.

Then I started receiving about 5 calls a day from different numbers. This lasted for about a week, and then eventually trailed off.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:51 AM   #9
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

It's hard to pick games in the first week of the season.

I like Missouri -4.5 against Illinois and Tulsa -3 against ULMonroe.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:28 PM   #10
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

See my post in the football forum. I'd take Virginia over Wyoming.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote