cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 01:33 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Lamont Morgan

When we recruited this guy, we all were scratching our heads looking at his lack of stats in college and why we recruited him.

Three "games" into his college career, it's more of the same. His stats so far in three games including blue-white.

60 minutes, 2 steals, 3 turnovers 2 assists, 6 rebounds, 0 points, three shot attempts--all three pointers (one was a desperation three with time running out on shot clock--shouldn't be counted against him), hasn't even attempted a free throw.

The guy definitely can handle the ball and can defend a guard (as long as height's not an issue). I just watch him play and it's blah, nothing happening, and the stats reflect it.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:50 PM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
When we recruited this guy, we all were scratching our heads looking at his lack of stats in college and why we recruited him.

Three "games" into his college career, it's more of the same. His stats so far in three games including blue-white.

60 minutes, 2 steals, 3 turnovers 2 assists, 6 rebounds, 0 points, three shot attempts--all three pointers (one was a desperation three with time running out on shot clock--shouldn't be counted against him), hasn't even attempted a free throw.

The guy definitely can handle the ball and can defend a guard (as long as height's not an issue). I just watch him play and it's blah, nothing happening, and the stats reflect it.
I couldnt agree more, however in this offense it seems like the point guards main job is to get it across have court pass it to the wing, and go find an open spot on the floor. They are not required, to penetrate, move a whole lot without the basketball, or even make shots when teh shot clock is running down. As long as we have a pg that can get it across half court against a pressure defense we will be fine, the PG is one of the least valuable positions in this offense, my guess is that is by design due to the lack of depth.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:02 PM   #3
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post

He didn't show up in the box score from yesterday. If he didn't play in a 40 point win he's not playing this year, IMO.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 02:04 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

They claim he's redshirting. I imagine he might redshirt to develop or transfer. He appears somebody we miscalculated on, but perhaps the coaches just wish to advance him before playing him.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:14 PM   #5
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Lamont Morgan is going to redshirt per Potkey's blog in the trib.

http://blogs.sltrib.com/byu/
Old 11-12-2007, 03:07 PM   #6
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I couldnt agree more, however in this offense it seems like the point guards main job is to get it across have court pass it to the wing, and go find an open spot on the floor. They are not required, to penetrate, move a whole lot without the basketball, or even make shots when teh shot clock is running down. As long as we have a pg that can get it across half court against a pressure defense we will be fine, the PG is one of the least valuable positions in this offense, my guess is that is by design due to the lack of depth.
I would think that Rose would like to use the PGs more in the offense, but I just don't think he has been able to find one that was worth a damn. You are probably right the use of the PG is by design, but my guess is that Rose would love to change that. Of course the offense has been just fine as is for BYU. Rose is a very good offensive coach.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:17 PM   #7
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
I would think that Rose would like to use the PGs more in the offense, but I just don't think he has been able to find one that was worth a damn. You are probably right the use of the PG is by design, but my guess is that Rose would love to change that. Of course the offense has been just fine as is for BYU. Rose is a very good offensive coach.
My guess is that Rose's ideal isn't a pure pg anyway. I think his ideal would be a guy with PG quickness and ability to penetrate coupled with outside shooting. He would die for a poor man's Iverson.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:19 PM   #8
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
My guess is that Rose's ideal isn't a pure pg anyway. I think his ideal would be a guy with PG quickness and ability to penetrate coupled with outside shooting. He would die for a poor man's Iverson.
So he is looking for a Johnny Bryant type of player?
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:26 PM   #9
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
So he is looking for a Johnny Bryant type of player?
I think Bryant would be a very nice fit for what Rose does.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:10 PM   #10
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

At the game yesterday I saw Lamont limping a little, I couldnt tell if he was injured or if it was just the "Pimp Limp" considering all the hot ladies in the crowd. Anyone know?